Bomber News: 2019 Off Season

Rich
Message added by Rich

For minor off-season Bomber news.  Any significant stories or news that is likely to generate significant discussion may have its own thread created.  General CFL news can be found here.

Just now, Floyd said:

Lots of people complaining that Walters whiffed on. Receiver in free agency... I knew he was waiting for something like this - only question mark on this team is Nichols and that’s impressive

Also the OL. A lot of roll over there. We have the talent in place to fill the gaps but how they mesh and work together plus how long that takes is a question. S is a bit of a question, as is WIL. 

3 minutes ago, wbbfan said:

Also the OL. A lot of roll over there. We have the talent in place to fill the gaps but how they mesh and work together plus how long that takes is a question. S is a bit of a question, as is WIL. 

The only question i have about the offensive line is whether it will still be the best in the league.  It could potentially be just above average but it's not an area where i'm concerned. 

4 minutes ago, wbbfan said:

OL will come together just fine - again Harris is what scares defences...  Bryant and hardrick still there - I’m not worried

Prob see a rotation of jones/fenner and Thomas/Bryant for our last NI unless Jones grabs the safety spot in camp...  which I expect he will

and I’m not worried about WIL - were probably on the phone with ackie

7 minutes ago, wbbfan said:

I have no worries, we can start 3 OL if the Bombers so wishes - Bryant - Neufeld - Couture - Foketi - Hardrick is still better compared to other teams' starting OL 

2 minutes ago, Colin Unger said:

The only question i have about the offensive line is whether it will still be the best in the league.  It could potentially be just above average but it's not an area where i'm concerned. 

I hasn't been the best or arguably so since bonds departure. It was good, but not great. Ols arent always the sum of their parts. They can be far more, or far less. It has the potential to be very good after the kinks are worked out and we re-establish a core of guys. Until then it has the potential to be bad. Wont know how its shaping up till camp. 

3 minutes ago, Floyd said:

OL will come together just fine - again Harris is what scares defences...  Bryant and hardrick still there - I’m not worried

Prob see a rotation of jones/fenner and Thomas/Bryant for our last NI unless Jones grabs the safety spot in camp...  which I expect he will

and I’m not worried about WIL - were probably on the phone with ackie

Signing Ackie will better the D - we can start 4 Int DL and relegate Thomas as backup. - Jeffcoat - Bryant - Nevis - Jefferson with Roh, Thomas and one of (Forde, Kongbo, Griffith or LaChance) on rotation/backup

Edited by M.O.A.B.

12 minutes ago, wbbfan said:

I hasn't been the best or arguably so since bonds departure. It was good, but not great. Ols arent always the sum of their parts. They can be far more, or far less. It has the potential to be very good after the kinks are worked out and we re-establish a core of guys. Until then it has the potential to be bad. Wont know how its shaping up till camp. 

Like I've been saying it's not going to be bad.  Even if they had to go with Couture, Bryant, Hardrick and Foketi as a worst case scenario it wouldn't be bad. 

10 minutes ago, M.O.A.B. said:

Signing Ackie will better the D - we can start 4 Int DL and relegate Thomas as backup. - Jeffcoat - Bryant - Nevis - Jefferson with Roh, Thomas and one of (Forde, Kongbo, Griffith or LaChance) on rotation/backup

we can...and will start 4 Import d-lineman anyway...there will be a National starting at safety this year be it Jones..Conteh or Hecht...Thomas will not be counted on, nor considered to be the 7th National counter...he's rotational depth plain and simple...and if Forde looks real good in camp, and Griffiths proves he is roster ready, Thomas could be on the outside looking in...especially when Kongbo gets on the roster...it will be Kongbo and one of Griffiths..Forde or Thomas on the roster

15 minutes ago, M.O.A.B. said:

The key to this is depth.  It accommodates for injuries a lot better if we have another legit Canadian starter.    What happens is Jones gets injured out of camp and misses another season for example?  

3 minutes ago, Colin Unger said:

The key to this is depth.  It accommodates for injuries a lot better if we have another legit Canadian starter.    What happens is Jones gets injured out of camp and misses another season for example?  

For me Hecht equals Greg Bearman

....shudder....

Conteh I am sure will be able to man the spot...guy was a corner back in College, and has great athleticism...and we are going to use our safety this year as a more traditional cover guy, with over the top help...hence the reason why with Jones or Conteh there we won't miss a beat on defense and if anything cause more turn overs

2 hours ago, Atomic said:

Can't be overstated how important this signing is.

Absolutely huge. I am so pumped. All Nichols has to do is put it in the general area and Matthews will go up and get it. This is exactly what we needed.

I agree, great signing, especially for Nichols with his style of play and skill set.

13 minutes ago, Noeller said:

Looking at the depth chart, the secondary is a little scary to me, because it's a lot of relative "unknown" back there....but if there's one thing I have confidence in Walters to consistently churn out, it's import DBs, so I'm sure we'll be fine...

Yeah I haven't seen Rose play much but he's supposed to be pretty good. Rose, Alexander and Sayes should be fine.  Then that last corner spot and safety I'm feeling uneasy about.  This isn't 2005 though. It is much easier to find competent DBs these days.

Yep i was one of the people banging to get a Rec in free agency so this is definitely a solid signing by the Blue. I still think we need one more big play guy but perhaps we have that in one of our young cdn  rec or new imp rec signed. Good job by Walters.

15 minutes ago, Noeller said:

Looking at the depth chart, the secondary is a little scary to me, because it's a lot of relative "unknown" back there....but if there's one thing I have confidence in Walters to consistently churn out, it's import DBs, so I'm sure we'll be fine...

Like any good organization, as long as we get more Sayles-men, we’ll be just fine.

42 minutes ago, Colin Unger said:

Like I've been saying it's not going to be bad.  Even if they had to go with Couture, Bryant, Hardrick and Foketi as a worst case scenario it wouldn't be bad. 

Only playing four offensive linemen would be pretty bad... 😁