Bomber News: 2019 Off Season

Rich
Message added by Rich

For minor off-season Bomber news.  Any significant stories or news that is likely to generate significant discussion may have its own thread created.  General CFL news can be found here.

and for all the chicken littles and naysayers who yammer on about how free agency was a fail and we didnt address the biggest need..you just don't know the behind the scene and outside the media eyes discussions going on..Walters could have had all along a somewhat verbal commitment that if the NFL didn't pan out he wanted to sign back here...so when the bidding for the others got too crazy...smartly he backed out and sat on the cash....I do know one thing tho, last year Matthews would have preferred and wanted to resign back here...but dollar wise we couldn't make it happen

10 minutes ago, Booch said:

and for all the chicken littles and naysayers who yammer on about how free agency was a fail and we didnt address the biggest need..you just don't know the behind the scene and outside the media eyes discussions going on..Walters could have had all along a somewhat verbal commitment that if the NFL didn't pan out he wanted to sign back here...so when the bidding for the others got too crazy...smartly he backed out and sat on the cash....I do know one thing tho, last year Matthews would have preferred and wanted to resign back here...but dollar wise we couldn't make it happen

He may have won the small battle with Calgary but he's going to war with Winnipeg!

Yes, this signing seems to reflect the strategy that the Bombers are taking to..that is, don’t go crazy on $270,000 contracts for Free Agents. 

I mean, signing Bighill last May involved good timing, but the lesson was learned and the month of May may become just as important as the February free agent period.

Awesome signing. I am absolutely thrilled at the amount of pressure that will be put on defenses. You have two guys that make big catches in coverage.  And you can't double cover both of them.  From what I remember Matthews is actually quite good at getting himself open too.

So now I'm looking at that last receiver spot and I have to imagine this now makes it more difficult for taller receivers to make the starting lineup.  We are probably going to be looking for a Dressler type in that spot (Lucky Whitehead?). Or some kind of burner.

7 minutes ago, WBBFanWest said:

Well, if TBurg isn't going to TBurg then I guess I have to step up.  Here goes:

Typical Walters bringing in retreads instead of finding talent on his own. 

Hey. The day started right and Tburg being happy make it better. 

Don't ruined it. 😁

Let’s wait until we see the $$$, maybe he change his mind and do what Tburg does.

Edited by M.O.A.B.

Fantastic move. 29, doesnt have high mileage but has come up big when given the chance. Gives us a different look with his size and strength. Id assume that with the time lapse since FA opened and lack of buzz before that he didnt sign a crazy expensive deal. Love love love this fit. 

42 minutes ago, M.O.A.B. said:

I got a feeling that Walters is not yet done. He may have cap space allotted for 1 more guy. 

I agree. I would love to see singleton here. Thurman or Eguavon would be good too. Imagine if we got duke too though? 🤤

1 minute ago, wbbfan said:

Fantastic move. 29, doesnt have high mileage but has come up big when given the chance. Gives us a different look with his size and strength. Id assume that with the time lapse since FA opened and lack of buzz before that he didnt sign a crazy expensive deal. Love love love this fit. 

I agree. I would love to see singleton here. Thurman or Eguavon would be good too. Imagine if we got duke too though? 🤤

give me an Ackie or... Zylstra.

2 hours ago, M.O.A.B. said:

WPG_O2-800x800.png

WPG_D1-800x800.png

offense depth chart updated

The biggest position of interest in Bombers camp this year will be at receiver. Darvin Adams is part of an elite class of boundary wideouts in the CFL, but he could move to the slot after the recent signing of Chris Matthews. The late addition addresses a significant off-season need in Winnipeg after the Bombers couldn’t land the big fish in free agency. While Adams and Matthews are definite starters, there could be openings elsewhere as Kenbrell Thompkins, Corey Washington and others compete for the chance to start.

Edited by M.O.A.B.

Adams has played plenty in the slot tho over his time here...so a full-time role there wouldn't hinder him whatsoever..probably get him more targets a game, and he works well in traffic and getting the grimy yards