Bomber News: 2019 Off Season

Rich
Message added by Rich

For minor off-season Bomber news.  Any significant stories or news that is likely to generate significant discussion may have its own thread created.  General CFL news can be found here.

24 minutes ago, Jesse said:

The constant rule changes have happened every year. That's not on Ambrosie unless you expected him to stop it (for the record, it also annoys me).

I don't agree with the "more important things" argument. These things have been problems forever and he's simply attempting a new way of fixing them. It's most likely why he got the job in the first place. The revenue streams. Increased audiences. Increased sponsorship opportunities. 

I believe 2.0 has been rushed. My guess is that Ambrosie needs things in the new CBA and didn't want to wait until next time around.

The constant rule changes have increased under Ambrosie and I don't give him a pass because it happened before he took the job.

More foreign players isn't a fix for any of the big CFL problems. Certainly won't fix Toronto, Montreal or get them closer to signing a deal with the CFLPA. CFL 2.0 has the POSSIBILITY of increasing audiences and revenue, but that's a ways off in the future, if ever. If Ambroise wants to work on it as his 4th priority, then I've got no problems with it, but he's put it as his top priority and I'm against that.

15 minutes ago, Jesse said:

It's almost seems that people like Ambrosie and others that actually do this stuff for a living have more information than us.  Silly as that sounds.

12 minutes ago, TBURGESS said:

The constant rule changes have increased under Ambrosie and I don't give him a pass because it happened before he took the job.

More foreign players isn't a fix for any of the big CFL problems. Certainly won't fix Toronto, Montreal or get them closer to signing a deal with the CFLPA. CFL 2.0 has the POSSIBILITY of increasing audiences and revenue, but that's a ways off in the future, if ever. If Ambroise wants to work on it as his 4th priority, then I've got no problems with it, but he's put it as his top priority and I'm against that.

I would wonder if getting international players into the league actually would help in TO.  There is a rather large immigrant population there, so if the CFL becomes more popular internationally and with international players, it may catch the interest of some immigrants who could become fans that attend games.

Probably a bit of a stretch, and would definitely take a while to get legs, but could be part of the thought process.

38 minutes ago, Sard said:

I would wonder if getting international players into the league actually would help in TO.  There is a rather large immigrant population there, so if the CFL becomes more popular internationally and with international players, it may catch the interest of some immigrants who could become fans that attend games.

Probably a bit of a stretch, and would definitely take a while to get legs, but could be part of the thought process.

It's gonna take ten years to develop...so we shouldn't start for another ten years...is the mindset some seem to have about this.

37 minutes ago, Bigblue204 said:

It's gonna take ten years to develop...so we shouldn't start for another ten years...is the mindset some seem to have about this.

You're getting it wrong. It's going to take 10 years so it shouldn't be the number 1 priority is the mindset.

1 hour ago, TBURGESS said:

You're getting it wrong. It's going to take 10 years so it shouldn't be the number 1 priority is the mindset.

But that's kindof the point, it will never be a priority, so it will never get done and the payoff in 5 to 10 years will never happen.

At some point someone has to take a step back and say, despite the fires that I have to put out today, I need to do something to prevent them from happening in the future.  Agree with it or not, it is a bigger picture view of the situation that someone had to take eventually, and it just happens to have been taken now.

baby steps toward a much bigger picture...it's fine and hurts nothing. In the meantime, they're getting the Als ownership situation worked out.....but I'd love to hear SOME kinda response from Ambrosie as to why they're delaying the neg's for two weeks. At least give us SOME kinda made up reason so we don't just start agreeing with Odell Willis because he's the only one with anything to say.......

We need a gif of Aaron Rodgers spelling R-E-L-A-X.  Everybody take a step back from the edge here.

1)  the CBA will get resolved because both sides need it to be resolved.  The worst case scenario is that there will be no rookie camp and main camp gets started a day or two late - which would make the veterans very happy.

2)  the Als situation is better now than it has been with Bob's idiot son running things.  The league will run it for a short time while a local owner get his investors, finances and marketing plans in order.  This used to be an annual event.  Everyone is freaking out because the league has been so stable for so long.  It will be sorted out before the playoffs start.

3) why would any fan care much about the international movement?  It is not going to have any impact on the game or competitive balance.  It might turn out to create some new revenue sources and hasn't cost the league very much at all. Teams are spending any time scouting these players.  They got to see them test out next to the CIS guys, so they have all the information they need for a 3 minute draft.  The league paid some airfare.  

Nobody is talking about the real problem that we have before us.  We have nothing to talk about if we don't argue about nothing.  Or we could just relax...

1 hour ago, JCon said:

New Blue Bomber beat poverty, near-paralysis on way to professional football career

Malik Boynton has signed on to play defensive back for Winnipeg Blue Bombers 2019-20 season

malik-boynton.JPG

What he went through sounds absolutely terrifying. The fact he is still pursuing football like this shows tremendous heart and desire to play. You can create a pro football career based on heart, work ethic and football IQ. (wade miller) Hope he does well in camp. 

2 hours ago, MC said:

We need a gif of Aaron Rodgers spelling R-E-L-A-X.  Everybody take a step back from the edge here.

1)  the CBA will get resolved because both sides need it to be resolved.  The worst case scenario is that there will be no rookie camp and main camp gets started a day or two late - which would make the veterans very happy.

2)  the Als situation is better now than it has been with Bob's idiot son running things.  The league will run it for a short time while a local owner get his investors, finances and marketing plans in order.  This used to be an annual event.  Everyone is freaking out because the league has been so stable for so long.  It will be sorted out before the playoffs start.

3) why would any fan care much about the international movement?  It is not going to have any impact on the game or competitive balance.  It might turn out to create some new revenue sources and hasn't cost the league very much at all. Teams are spending any time scouting these players.  They got to see them test out next to the CIS guys, so they have all the information they need for a 3 minute draft.  The league paid some airfare.  

Nobody is talking about the real problem that we have before us.  We have nothing to talk about if we don't argue about nothing.  Or we could just relax...

100% the cba will get done. Im not worried about that at all. Im sure we will see some concessions to the players, and deservedly so. But no one is gonna get hooped between the teams and the players. 

Also agree 100%. The als could not have been in a worse position previously. Short of maybe the gliebermans returning. I dont think the league will have to prop up the als long term either. That market is too strong and passionate a year from now Id be surprised if they didnt have a long term solution to ownership in montreal. First step in a long recovery process for that franchise.  I worry more about the argos then the als. 

It is what it is. Little else to talk about any way.  I think its all a bit rushed but I dont see any harm coming from it. 

(someone be sure to ask ol' Wader how the CBA neg's are going.......)

https://www.bluebombers.com/fans/fan-forum/

JOIN US IN THE PINNACLE CLUB AT INVESTORS GROUP FIELD THURSDAY, APRIL 16TH FOR OUR ANNUAL FAN FORUM!

Hear from President & CEO Wade Miller, General Manager Kyle Walters and Head Coach Mike O’Shea on the upcoming 2019 season.

What: Fan Forum
When: Tuesday, April 16, 2019
Time: Doors open at 6:30pm, Forum starts at 7:00pm
Entrance: Please enter though the Bomber Store.
Parking: Free parking in U lot and Bomber Store parking lots.

Complimentary popcorn will be available for the first 200 people in attendance.

Seating is limited.

On 2019-04-11 at 11:42 AM, Noeller said:

baby steps toward a much bigger picture...it's fine and hurts nothing. In the meantime, they're getting the Als ownership situation worked out.....but I'd love to hear SOME kinda response from Ambrosie as to why they're delaying the neg's for two weeks. At least give us SOME kinda made up reason so we don't just start agreeing with Odell Willis because he's the only one with anything to say.......

They're delaying things to put the screws to the players. That's the only reason. Why can't the bargaining committee continue negotiations without Ambrosie being there if he has other matters to take care of? The CFL could if they wanted to. They chose not too.  The closer they get to training camps, the more the panic sets in & the players will fall in line. That seems to be the line of thought. I'm no expert on labour negotiation law but this really stinks to me. 

6 hours ago, Jpan85 said:

Why do we have to pick sides I get both the leagues and players position no need to villafy(sec) either side. 

this... and also *Vilify (a simple right click on that squiggly right line tells you.....) and also *(SIC)

“The Winnipeg Blue Bombers have let teams around the league know that one or both of their first round drafts picks are available via trade.”

https://3downnation.com/2019/04/15/bombers-shopping-fourth-fifth-overall-picks-in-2019-cfl-draft/

“Winnipeg doesn’t have any immediate roster needs. The Bombers have their Canadian starters locked down — especially if the league reduces the minimum number of national starters from seven to five — and respectable depth at most positions on the roster.”

Edited by Mr Dee

Filling the pipeline is a good idea.  Making a deal like they did last year would be a good option as would picking guys that might take a NFL shot but could be back later this season or next.

I personally don’t believe we are without holes in our roster.  Our D needs bodies, guys like Briggs and Jones may only have a couple years left.  We can use a OL, everyone is a free agent every season now too so not a bad idea to have some guys developing always.

Not a bad idea to float the idea out there and see what kind of offers you get.  Certain GM's out there might be looking to move back into the 1st round after some terrible trades (hello Kavis!). 

If they want to make another terrible trade or two in exchange for one or both of our picks, I'm sure Kyle will be willing to listen.