Bomber News: 2019 Off Season

Rich
Message added by Rich

For minor off-season Bomber news.  Any significant stories or news that is likely to generate significant discussion may have its own thread created.  General CFL news can be found here.

Jabar Westerman is not a bad idea.  I doubt they have the money to do it though.  I expect a number of teams will be cutting guys like this in order to make room for the free agent salaries they committed to the last couple of months.  Sucks for the players though, because teams are trying to fit under the cap.  Big difference from February to April/May.

On 2019-04-08 at 12:57 PM, Floyd said:

Betts seems like a futures gamble...  would think he's NFL bound

Im thinking Anderson or Griffiths

Id be good with that. 

23 hours ago, Mr Dee said:

Who can forget?

Poof! - Suddenly..it was there, delivered and caught!

madden glitches can eat their heart out. 

On 2019-04-04 at 4:22 PM, Mike said:

This CFL 2.0 vision is so stupid. So rushed. Mexican draft, now a European draft? And why? None of these guys can play. 

How can we get fans to care when the league executives don’t even care? Sutherland called it out for what it was.

I like the vision - agree that it's terribly rushed.

All of these drafts could easily have been announced...for next season. At least pretended that teams can look at the players before drafting them.

CFL 2.0 is a dumb thing to waste time on when Montreal might have to be taken over by the league, Toronto can't get enough folks out for the team to make money. and the new deal hasn't been signed with the CFLPA yet. Those should  be the Commish's priorities.

12 minutes ago, TBURGESS said:

CFL 2.0 is a dumb thing to waste time on when Montreal might have to be taken over by the league, Toronto can't get enough folks out for the team to make money. and the new deal hasn't been signed with the CFLPA yet. Those should  be the Commish's priorities.

But the idea, even if it goes nowhere, is getting the CFL media attention, and is a Good Thing.

15 minutes ago, TBURGESS said:

Why do you think he can't do multiple things at once?

1 hour ago, Noeller said:

No, I think he should focus on what's important right now over what may be important somewhere in the future.

1 hour ago, Tracker said:

But the idea, even if it goes nowhere, is getting the CFL media attention, and is a Good Thing.

I disagree. Media attention isn't worth anything unless it increases viewership or revenue. Mexican and European eyes on the CFL doesn't do either.

11 minutes ago, TBURGESS said:

No, I think he should focus on what's important right now over what may be important somewhere in the future.

I disagree. Media attention isn't worth anything unless it increases viewership or revenue. Mexican and European eyes on the CFL doesn't do either.

My understanding is that there's already interest in Mexico for paying the CFL for broadcasting rights. If the CFL can get money from the United States surely they can get money from Countries who have a growing interest in football who don't have the NFL.

10 minutes ago, TBURGESS said:

So, he should spend 15 hours a day on the Montreal issue?  What could possibly do for that long each day to fix it?  He has prospective buyers and they need to get their finances in order.  In the meantime he also has a contingency where the league takes over to bridge between owners.  The only other thing I can think of is if he were to stand on St Catherine's and beg for money from the passers by.

If the league can get a TV deal in Mexico or Europe lined up for 2020 because there is increased eyes watching the game because of players from those countries who are playing in 2019.  That would not be worth the minimal money and effort being spent by the league and clubs now?

2 hours ago, TBURGESS said:

MLSE owns the Argos as well as the Leafs, Raptors and TFC,  if they can't figure out how to make the Argos viable with all of their experience and resources, what do you expect Ambrosie to do to alter the situation?

1 hour ago, MC said:

So, he should spend 15 hours a day on the Montreal issue?  What could possibly do for that long each day to fix it?  He has prospective buyers and they need to get their finances in order.  In the meantime he also has a contingency where the league takes over to bridge between owners.  The only other thing I can think of is if he were to stand on St Catherine's and beg for money from the passers by.

If the league can get a TV deal in Mexico or Europe lined up for 2020 because there is increased eyes watching the game because of players from those countries who are playing in 2019.  That would not be worth the minimal money and effort being spent by the league and clubs now?

He should spend whatever time it takes to try and solve the big issues like Montreal, Toronto and the CFLPA. GM's don't know how much money they have to spend, but the have to offer contracts anyway. Think that makes for a better CFL?

IF eyes meant money, then OK, but more eyes don't automatically mean more money. It just means more eyes. IF he doesn't get a TV deal in Mexico and Europe then it's all been for nothing.

You must be a big Nero fan.... keep on fiddling while Rome burns or in this case keep on fiddling with stuff that might not ever matter while letting the big problems fester.

Ambrosie has cut the league staff (people who run the business, not faces) to a size not seen since the late 90s when the CFL was on the brink of folding every off-season and also taken on this CFL 2.0 crap in the face of CBA talks and crises in three markets, two essentially without ownership.

It’s bad.

There’s a very real possibility that veteran players aren’t in training camp, and a lot of management types will have a decision to make on whether or not they want to run a camp of rookies.

It’s a complete joke to run a Euro draft at this time.

5 hours ago, Noeller said:

If I know anything, it's that owners/ceo's/presidents/commissioners(?)commishes...you know what I mean! Never do more then 1 thing at a time. They only focus on one priority as they can not fathom doing more then 1 thing. There are definitely not any lawyers involved in the CFLPA talks who are taking on most of the work, and there is absolutely more he could be doing to get fans out in TO and MTL, those two fan bases are just looking for a reason to come out to games...they want to...I swear...the CFL just makes it so hard.

I will say, out of all the complaints about his work, the only one that holds any water is the rush on the international drafts...that's a bit of a waste...but could be a part of having any kind of deal done...for all we know those leagues could have been close to getting into proprietary deals with other leagues etc etc. We the fans absolutely have a  grasp on all of these complex situations!! And there is no bigger picture we could be missing.

58 minutes ago, JuranBoldenRules said:

Ambrosie has cut the league staff (people who run the business, not faces) to a size not seen since the late 90s when the CFL was on the brink of folding every off-season and also taken on this CFL 2.0 crap in the face of CBA talks and crises in three markets, two essentially without ownership.

It’s bad.

There’s a very real possibility that veteran players aren’t in training camp, and a lot of management types will have a decision to make on whether or not they want to run a camp of rookies.

It’s a complete joke to run a Euro draft at this time.

Im absolutely not against the CFL 2.0 concept... but I don't understand why its so rushed.  CBA, expansion team and now Montreal situation should be top priority right now

Fatal mistake is moving a new product into a new market while your current product is facing market challenges - Ambrosie seems to be doing this on multiple levels

CFL burning cash and now it seems playing hard ball with players...  

Haven't like Ambrosie from the start and nothing has changed my opinion.

45 minutes ago, TBURGESS said:

I like most of what Ambrosie has done, but I don't like the constant rule changes or focusing on Europe & Mexico when there are more important things to work on.

The constant rule changes have happened every year. That's not on Ambrosie unless you expected him to stop it (for the record, it also annoys me).

I don't agree with the "more important things" argument. These things have been problems forever and he's simply attempting a new way of fixing them. It's most likely why he got the job in the first place. The revenue streams. Increased audiences. Increased sponsorship opportunities. 

I believe 2.0 has been rushed. My guess is that Ambrosie needs things in the new CBA and didn't want to wait until next time around.