Bomber News: 2019 Off Season

Rich
Message added by Rich

For minor off-season Bomber news.  Any significant stories or news that is likely to generate significant discussion may have its own thread created.  General CFL news can be found here.

8 minutes ago, Mike said:

Uhhh ... it's exactly about how much each player makes. If a guy like JSK was on a rookie deal (which he was) then we get no cap relief because he departed, since we need to actually fill the roster spot no matter what.

Loffler and JSK were the only 2 players on the list who were on their first contract IIRC. I doubt either guy was getting league minimum. We may still get some SMS relief depending on who we replace them with. It's not a 1 to 1 correspondence. If we replace them with someone already on the team, then we can replace those guys with rookies to get an SMS benefit.

11 minutes ago, TBURGESS said:

Loffler and JSK were the only 2 players on the list who were on their first contract IIRC. I doubt either guy was getting league minimum. We may still get some SMS relief depending on who we replace them with. It's not a 1 to 1 correspondence. If we replace them with someone already on the team, then we can replace those guys with rookies to get an SMS benefit.

You're clearly missing the point of what I'm saying. But yeah.

3 minutes ago, sweep the leg said:

Why would you doubt JSK was getting league minimum? If an unknown rookie American isn't getting it, who is?

Let's say, for arguments sake, he was making $10k above league minimum. That is exactly $10k of SMS savings. No more and potentially a lot less or nothing. Not sure where this magical cap money is coming from TBurgtown. 

Edited by JCon

It's about the net, not about any individual players salary. Not surprising that folks around here want to make it about JSK's salary as he's probably the only one on the list where we won't get any SMS relief.

No 17. It's not about Walters. I didn't even mention him. It's about the excuse that we don't have SMS money to sign players. We choose not to go over what we decide is enough money for each individual player. If we really spent all our SMS money then we wouldn't be making a big offer to Walker.

1 hour ago, Mr Dee said:

Still, for the Bombers..it is, and should be cost versus value. 

Big splashy signings are fun, but we don’t ‘need’ to do that. 

I still think we’re on target, and we have some cash to hit that target, either now, or in the near future.

Walters swung for the fences on Ellingson and Walker and whiffed, so it's a little hard to paint him as being fiscally prudent when he has attempted not to be.

3 minutes ago, Throw Long Bannatyne said:

Walters swung for the fences on Ellingson and Walker and whiffed, so it's a little hard to paint him as being fiscally prudent when he has attempted not to be.

With each of those ‘offers’, they were seriously trying to upgrade. They had placed value on each of those players, and the value was high, even though, as stated by Walters , it wasn’t as high as the asking. 

My point was , we stopped there, where our line was drawn, and where it fit in our budget. We didn’t go up and over to get said player. Kind of like an auction where you want an item but are unwilling to overspend on that item because it would look nice to our neighbours.

Sure, he swung for the fences, like each and every one of us wanted, but he stayed within his limits. That’s still responsible in my books.

I don't think it's ludicrous to suggest RECs may be following QBs they like.. .as another poster theorized the other day.   

With D.Walker... I think there's lots of alluring things about TO and MLSE.  Football specifc, fanbase etc... hell no.  But as we see in other sports... lots of guys hate the spotlight.  The flipside to the great fanbase argument is in a place like Toronto, Walker can conceivably have a year with no real pressure to succeed other than internal drive.  Still makes the same coin...if not more... and I'd agree too that MLSE prob has some sort of housing options for these guys. 

When guys spurn Wpg for the big cities, I often think we're lucky.  I want the guys who see the team we have, Osh's leadership, the string of playoff appearances... if this city ain't good enough for you, than you're not good enough for us. Simple. 

13 minutes ago, Jimmy Pop said:

When guys spurn Wpg for the big cities, I often think we're lucky.  I want the guys who see the team we have, Osh's leadership, the string of playoff appearances... if this city ain't good enough for you, than you're not good enough for us. Simple. 

This is exactly how I think, too... 

1 hour ago, TBURGESS said:

It's about the net, not about any individual players salary. Not surprising that folks around here want to make it about JSK's salary as he's probably the only one on the list where we won't get any SMS relief.

No 17. It's not about Walters. I didn't even mention him. It's about the excuse that we don't have SMS money to sign players. We choose not to go over what we decide is enough money for each individual player. If we really spent all our SMS money then we wouldn't be making a big offer to Walker.

but who else is it about? You're arguing that he's using the SMS wrong essentially. His entire MO his time here has been more about having depth than blowing the wad on a handful of stars. There are guys on this team getting paid top dollar no doubt, but we also have better depth than a lot of teams, and that is where the SMS gets eaten up considering that this team isn't the best at having the dirt cheap depth via scouting. 

1 hour ago, Throw Long Bannatyne said:

We didn’t whif. We gave competitive offers but there was teams out there desperate enough to back the brink trucks. We’re a good team. We don’t need to over pay players, while I would have loved to get one of them, there’s still some decent receivers on the market. 

27 minutes ago, 17to85 said:

but who else is it about? You're arguing that he's using the SMS wrong essentially. His entire MO his time here has been more about having depth than blowing the wad on a handful of stars. There are guys on this team getting paid top dollar no doubt, but we also have better depth than a lot of teams, and that is where the SMS gets eaten up considering that this team isn't the best at having the dirt cheap depth via scouting. 

You want to talk Walters? OK, I'll go there, but that's not where I was going before this post.

Walters MO in the past revolved around working the FA market big time, bringing in experienced guys and hoping that our scouts could fill in the blanks. This year he's gotten rid of a bunch of experienced guys and hasn't done much in the FA market. I hope the scouts can actually fill in the blanks this year.

Walters biggest get this year was Bighill. No problem at all with that. We paid him big. We found him more money outside the SMS. All in all, good work. Goosen is one of our biggest losses, which isn't on Walters. He also extended a couple of good players. So far. So good.

Losing Chungh wouldn't have been as big a deal if we hadn't already lost Goosen, but changing out 2 all star, NI OL at the same time is a big deal. Complaining that Chungh's camp knew that his value went up was sour grapes IMO, but Walters stuck to his 'number' and let Chungh walk. He stuck to his 'number' and let JSK walk. He stuck to his 'number' and let Loffler (A good decision IMO) walk. He also let Randle go, which I personally don't agree with. It remains to be seen if the new cheaper starters promoted from with in work out.

Jefferson's a great DE. Rose can play although 3 teams in 3 years is a bit of a red flag. I'm on the record saying I'd have used the SMS room differently and I stick to my opinion.

Making offers isn't Walters job. Signing players is. Other teams seem to value most of the FA's that we wanted more than we do. Is Walters 'number' the right one to get us the top players? It doesn't look like it is. I don't see us fixing the problems that we knew we had going into FA. I don't see us replacing the guys we lost to FA with FA's.

I'd give Walters a C- so far in this year's FA game. That's hardly hating everything he does.