Bomber News: 2019 Off Season

Rich
Message added by Rich

For minor off-season Bomber news.  Any significant stories or news that is likely to generate significant discussion may have its own thread created.  General CFL news can be found here.

Lapo likes to focus on a couple guys and ignore some. Honestly he probably would have continued to ignore Wolitarsky if Streveler hadn't had that connection with him. 

Dressler, Harris, Demski and Adams, these were the guys Lapo was always going to give the ball to heavily. Harris, Dressler and Demski cause they can take those short passes and gain yards after catching it and Adams cause he was Lapo's deep guy. The other receivers on the field? By and large distractions seeing only the occasional ball their way. 

Lapo is good at showcasing a few guys but he's not great at using everyone to their full potential. 

1 hour ago, AKAChip said:

I don’t disagree but you said we were way behind, which just isn’t true. Plus, if we sign Walker or Roosevelt, we’re ahead of where we were last year. 

IF we sign Walker ( and if he stays healthy)we are ahead rec wise...oline? Still a big question mark and right now way behind were we were last year....but if we do not sign Walker we are way behind on offense as a whole over last year. We needed to sign a couple of impact rec or at least with that potential to at least soften the blow of losing Chungh and Goossen retiring.

2 hours ago, bb1 said:

IF we sign Walker ( and if he stays healthy)we are ahead rec wise...oline? Still a big question mark and right now way behind were we were last year....but if we do not sign Walker we are way behind on offense as a whole over last year. We needed to sign a couple of impact rec or at least with that potential to at least soften the blow of losing Chungh and Goossen retiring.

The best way to soften that blow is to have good replacements for them.  Time will tell on how good the replacements are but I do know that a good organization will replace players as they leave and not notice much of a difference. I remember a couple years back Calgary lost a lot of offensive lineman due to injury and they were still able to keep it together pretty good.  Much more difficult of a situation than losing two interior offensive linemen in the offseason.  I view Winnipeg as an organization that is basically at the Stampeders level now.  In the past, you lose Nichols in training camp and Durant retires right before the season it would have been a gong show.  They devised a gameplan that was successful in giving the team a chance to win until Nichols got back. Winnipeg definitely needs to add at least one proven receiver. Obviously, it doesn't have to be Walker.  There's also something to be said for waiting to see how much of an improvement we get from young players like Wolitarsky, Simonise, Petermann, Nelson, Washington, or Thompkins.   The CFL is a different beast than other pro football leagues.  You can lose an allstar like TJ Heath and find a cheap replacement in Marcus Sayles who arguably ends up being a better player. 

SMS is an excuse. We have as much money to spend as everyone else.

As it currently stands, Randle, Leggett, Wild, Dressler, Durant (70K), Fogg, Lankford, Loffler, Chungh, Goosen, Nevis, Okpaulogo, and JSK's, salaries are all off the books. Bighill got a raise, and we signed Jefferson who took Oko's salary plus more, Rose is likely cheaper than Fogg. Unless we were over last year, we should have a ton of bucks available to spend.

1 minute ago, TBURGESS said:

As it currently stands, Randle, Leggett, Wild, Dressler, Durant (70K), Fogg, Lankford, Loffler, Chungh, Goosen, Nevis, Okpaulogo, and JSK's, salaries are all off the books. Bighill got a raise, and we signed Jefferson who took Oko's salary plus more, Rose is likely cheaper than Fogg. Unless we were over last year, we should have a ton of bucks available to spend.

Correct me if I’m wrong, but guys like Chung, Goossen, Loffler and JSK were all on rookie contracts. They wouldn’t have been getting a ton of money, I’m also sure guys Lankford, Fogg and Wild weren’t getting a ton of money either. 

12 minutes ago, TBURGESS said:

agreed....and I wouldn't read much into it...there could be things in the works outside the "known" free-agent pool, and like what Rod Penison said this morning which I actually agreed with ( just puked in my mouth a bit) we don't/didn't have to spend piles of cash wildly because we are pretty solid and need a few tweeks...not big splashy signings

Watch us sign mathews..Ackie and a vet 0lineman and if Lucky maybe a Ciante Evans and all a sudden free agency was a huge success, and we did it without blowing 250k plus on guys

8 minutes ago, Blueandgold said:

Correct me if I’m wrong, but guys like Chung, Goossen, Loffler and JSK were all on rookie contracts. They wouldn’t have been getting a ton of money, I’m also sure guys Lankford, Fogg and Wild weren’t getting a ton of money either. 

Chungh would have been on his third deal with us...already re-upped...same with Gossen

Loffler price was not worth the cost considering the position, and depth coaches believe we had...so smart SMS decision to let him walk and safety is easily replaceable

JSK...yes would have needed a significant increase, but WIL isn't a hard spot to fill...in an SMS system isn't a place generally you want to pay bigger dollars, and we walked away to put money elsewhere, and are obviously okay with Wilson, or a prospect we have signed, or are looking at a free-agent  from elsewhere...we aren't even a week into the free-agency period so to panic about it is a bit pointless

Edited by Booch

7 minutes ago, Blueandgold said:

It's not about how much each player makes. It's about how much SMS relief we got in total.

Another reason we have SMS room is the QB situation. When Team A pays their QB 750K and we pay our QB 450K, then we have 300K more to spend on the rest of the team than team A. Team A shouldn't be able to outbid us on players we want.

16 hours ago, Super Duper Negatron said:

I'm gonna keep saying it. Receiver is fugly right now.

I feel like our NI WR group is better than our IMP WR group. which is a strange thing in the CFL. 

Looking at the guys listed as FAs on the cfl site id ideally like to see us bring in 2 of, arceneaux, roosevelt, chris wiliams, dresller, and terrence toliver. Maybe take a flier on mcdaniel, myles white again, or juron criner. 

Toliver would bring a big body to the red zone, arceneaux is that deep threat / big play guy and has the best chance to bounce back big next year, Williams would be a really interesting fit in our offense if plop used him well. Any of those first tier guys (for whats left) would be a good pick up. And if we had to shake someone loose in camp should someone like diontae spencer, duke williams etc come free it's not a big step back to cut em. 

15 minutes ago, TBURGESS said:

We didnt, because we had more FAs then any other team we had more spots to fill. It seems to me like we do have a good chunk still left since we allegedly offered the same money to walker TO did. 

2 minutes ago, TBURGESS said:

I doubt we offered Walker the same as Toronto did or else he'd have signed with us.

thats what 1290 was reporting this morning. Could have a good relationship with franklin, could be an east coast guy, FAs dont always pick the best teams. (henoc muamba rule)

16 minutes ago, TBURGESS said:

It's not about how much each player makes. It's about how much SMS relief we got in total.

Another reason we have SMS room is the QB situation. When Team A pays their QB 750K and we pay our QB 450K, then we have 300K more to spend on the rest of the team than team A. Team A shouldn't be able to outbid us on players we want.

Uhhh ... it's exactly about how much each player makes. If a guy like JSK was on a rookie deal (which he was) then we get no cap relief because he departed, since we need to actually fill the roster spot no matter what.

18 hours ago, Noeller said:

So a dude on Twitter did a thing.......this is where we're at so far.....

DzYUo2_U8AARCzJ.jpg:large

Looking at this... I'd like to see an couple upgrades to our Canadian content... ideally someone like Ackie and probably a couple draft picks ready to contribute... Maybe someone like Filer to add experience to the O-line... and obviously we could use some help at receiver.... overall not too many holes