Bomber News: 2019 Off Season

Rich
Message added by Rich

For minor off-season Bomber news.  Any significant stories or news that is likely to generate significant discussion may have its own thread created.  General CFL news can be found here.

I would be happy with Roosevelt. Yes, he's gotten dinged up a bit but some of the catches he has made not that long ago were outstanding. Holley would be a distant second and we can't wait around hoping that Zylstra will shake loose. If somehow he does and we already have Roosevelt or such, he can be given a chance to displace them.

26 minutes ago, sweep the leg said:

Count me as skeptical that we can convince Walker to come for less money.

If the alternative is Toronto and he has an agent with half a brain I think it's possible.  The past couple seasons the living situation for Argos players has been difficult.

Walker would take home a lot more money here or Regina.

3 minutes ago, Floyd said:

Wasn't he here a couple years ago...

I basically mean that Rhymes is at the same level as Whyte, Thompkins, Washington types...  okay to add but they are all a crap shoot

I belieive White was here last T.C. and looked quite good, very smooth receiver and I believe he caught a long-ball TD in one of the pre-season games.  Ultimately they decided to keep Thomkins as he is a more physical receiver.

5 minutes ago, Throw Long Bannatyne said:

I belieive White was here last T.C. and looked quite good, very smooth receiver and I believe he caught a long-ball TD in one of the pre-season games.  Ultimately they decided to keep Thomkins as he is a more physical receiver.

After White was cut he slammed the team for not recognizing his talent... now that I think of it, it may have been his brother who said that but either way, it's a pass for me.

3 minutes ago, bigg jay said:

After White was cut he slammed the team for not recognizing his talent... now that I think of it, it may have been his brother who said that but either way, it's a pass for me.

It was the brother...did it on Twitter.....and I was all the way out on the entire family. 

Just now, Noeller said:

you're ignoring his limited # of targets.....

I get that his position is largely ignored in a LaPolice offence and was playing with a struggling QB but if he’s going to give you essentially zero, play a Canadian there. Or someone with upside that a 31 year old import doesn’t provide. 

1 minute ago, AKAChip said:

I get that his position is largely ignored in a LaPolice offence and was playing with a struggling QB but if he’s going to give you essentially zero, play a Canadian there. Or someone with upside that a 31 year old import doesn’t provide. 

he didnt give essentially zero. thats the point. he made a ton of tough catches in traffic and picked up good YAC. 

Just now, wbbfan said:

he didnt give essentially zero. thats the point. he made a ton of tough catches in traffic and picked up good YAC. 

If you're happy with the production that he provided in 12 starts, that's great. The point is, if you're going to use a roster spot on a 31 year old rookie, he better be a gamebreaker. Even with his limited targets, Thompkins is at best average. We've just been condition to be used to even worse than average from our rookie receiver "finds".

2 minutes ago, wanna-b-fanboy said:

How many times was he targeted?

How many drops?

Is it a lack of targets or a lack of being open? Depending on your opinion of Demski, I'd say Thompkins was our worst starting receiver last year.

I would definitely prefer to have someone better than a middling 31 year old import. 

Just now, AKAChip said:

If you're happy with the production that he provided in 12 starts, that's great. The point is, if you're going to use a roster spot on a 31 year old rookie, he better be a gamebreaker. Even with his limited targets, Thompkins is at best average. We've just been condition to be used to even worse than average from our rookie receiver "finds".

in 12 starts, being underused, with a lot of struggle at QB. Its quality of play, not stats. He isn't 31 now, and isn't a rookie now either. 

It's more like confirmation bias at play. We didn't have enough big-play production at WR. Sure we didn't USE the imp wrs well, and sure we didn't protect the QB as well last year, and sure the level of play at QB was a drop off last year, but the WR didn't get stats and is 30! 

Adarius bowman was target 4 and a half times per game last year. Thompkins was targeted under 4 times per game. Lankford was targeted 4.5 times per game, dressler 5.25, 6.5 for darvin adams etc. 

If you take the attempts to darvin adams, have them caught at thompkins catch rate over thompkins YPC average, you get just under 1200 yards in less then 18 games. Despite being under used, poorly used, and in a situation where we struggled to protect the qb, and get the ball down field. 

Resistance to replacing guys like Thompkins makes no sense to me. Why wouldn't you want to improve a spot where talent is relatively easy to find when a guy is hardly producing? We're defending a receiver who got 35 yards per start. That's not good regardless of how many targets he was getting.

1 minute ago, wbbfan said:

in 12 starts, being underused, with a lot of struggle at QB. Its quality of play, not stats. He isn't 31 now, and isn't a rookie now either. 

It's more like confirmation bias at play. We didn't have enough big-play production at WR. Sure we didn't USE the imp wrs well, and sure we didn't protect the QB as well last year, and sure the level of play at QB was a drop off last year, but the WR didn't get stats and is 30! 

Adarius bowman was target 4 and a half times per game last year. Thompkins was targeted under 4 times per game. Lankford was targeted 4.5 times per game, dressler 5.25, 6.5 for darvin adams etc. 

If you take the attempts to darvin adams, have them caught at thompkins catch rate over thompkins YPC average, you get just under 1200 yards in less then 18 games. Despite being under used, poorly used, and in a situation where we struggled to protect the qb, and get the ball down field. 

You can't just say "give Thompkins Adams targets and he'd have 1200 yards!" Things don't work that way. In your opinion, he lacked targets because he was ignored in the offensive scheme and had a struggling QB throw to him. I agree that's part of it but let's be honest with each other, if he was good enough to match Adams' production with the same number of looks, he wouldn't have been largely ignored for a stretch of the season.

Just now, wbbfan said:

72.5% completion rate to thompkins, 55.4% to adams. in 17 games adams had 9 plays of 30 yards or more and 224 YAC yards. in 11 games thompkins had 3 and 126 YAC yards. 

And that obviously has nothing to do with Adams being an outside deep threat and Thompkins hardly running routes more than 10 yards beyond the line of scrimmage. Good lord.

1 minute ago, AKAChip said:

Resistance to replacing guys like Thompkins makes no sense to me. Why wouldn't you want to improve a spot where talent is relatively easy to find when a guy is hardly producing? We're defending a receiver who got 35 yards per start. That's not good regardless of how many targets he was getting.

I don't think it's replacing him that's people are against. IF they find someone better perfect. You're making it sound like Thompkins has no business playing pro ball. Only speaking to his numbers as if that's the end all be all to show his talents. You're right, he didn't put up big numbers as our #4 option. Guess what, our #1 option didn't either. The only thing Thompkins could do was catch the ball when it was thrown his way. He did. Damn near every time. He was also a fantastic blocking for the leagues #1 rusher. 

I'm not opposed to replacing him. I'm opposed to shitting on a guy for doing his job as a #4 option.

Just now, AKAChip said:

You can't just say "give Thompkins Adams targets and he'd have 1200 yards!" Things don't work that way. In your opinion, he lacked targets because he was ignored in the offensive scheme and had a struggling QB throw to him. I agree that's part of it but let's be honest with each other, if he was good enough to match Adams' production with the same number of looks, he wouldn't have been largely ignored for a stretch of the season.

Youre right, but if anything he would project HIGHER with better usage. 

We saw woli tearing the cfl up with streveler. in comes nichols, and he gets forgotten about for an extended period of time. Then gets worked back in and lights it up again. The same way weve gone away from harris for long stretches when he is playing great, or only give him a couple of touches in an entire half of football. 

2 minutes ago, AKAChip said:

And that obviously has nothing to do with Adams being an outside deep threat and Thompkins hardly running routes more than 10 yards beyond the line of scrimmage. Good lord.

Except he had a lot of catches deeper then 10 yards. Go look at his game log and the longest catch in each game. Or go back and watch some of his plays, the guy is dynamite down field beyond 15 yards.