Bomber News: 2019 Off Season

Rich
Message added by Rich

For minor off-season Bomber news.  Any significant stories or news that is likely to generate significant discussion may have its own thread created.  General CFL news can be found here.

25 minutes ago, bb1 said:

We lost half our oline and no new impact receivers signed... just kinda blows my mind that BC can throw 700k around for a Qb and edm signed Harris for 500k a year and we after losing so many quality players can only muster Jefferson? Spin it any way you want but why are other teams spending coin and we are not? I guess the other teams are more hungry for a cup??? Flame away but I thought this was our year to really push.....

giphy.gif

26 minutes ago, bb1 said:

Spin it any way you want but why are other teams spending coin and we are not?

It easily can be traced to the number of our own free agents we re-signed. The Bombers built this roster and really didn’t want to take a chance on Free Agency to get what they wanted. Teams have choices on how to build a roster. I like the way we were prepared. We didn’t have to rely on outbidding to get some players. We already had them. That’s where we put our money.

2ikxtuf.png

1 hour ago, bb1 said:

We lost half our oline and no new impact receivers signed... just kinda blows my mind that BC can throw 700k around for a Qb and edm signed Harris for 500k a year and we after losing so many quality players can only muster Jefferson? Spin it any way you want but why are other teams spending coin and we are not? I guess the other teams are more hungry for a cup??? Flame away but I thought this was our year to really push.....

I totally understand jeeze I wish Walters would get a set of balls and spend big money on a critical position like MLB...  what a cheapskate!  

54 minutes ago, Mr Dee said:

It easily can be traced to the number of our own free agents we re-signed. The Bombers built this roster and really didn’t want to take a chance on Free Agency to get what they wanted. Teams have choices on how to build a roster. I like the way we were prepared. We didn’t have to rely on outbidding to get some players. We already had them. That’s where we put our money.

2ikxtuf.png

But but we have such a massive turn over and we have not sign anyone this season or so what I was told by reading the forums.   

That graph was before Demski and Alexander.

Sure we only signed one new guy (so far) but re-upping Alexander was just as big as bringing in a new guy.

Also all these "big" names signed so far were guys we never were really interested in or needed to augment our core of guys save for most likely Posey. But theres still Walker or Mathews who basically still fill that need and will require similar cash to sign.

Outside of QB's, we signed prob the best available impact player on the market.. (Jefferson)for market value..all the while several of the teams in our division have basically used up most of their "big game" money. So now that the dust has settled a bit Walter's can re-evalute the needs vs availability and probably get guys he wants at better SMS value.

Based on some of the B.C ties I'm thinking Awe would look pretty good here replacing JSK and possibly a Max Forde or Joseph from Mtl for national dline rotation help especially if we draft a dlineman where there are 2 of which who can most likely step into lineup as backup/rotation right away.

We can also make a play too for Ackie now for national depth on defense as a starter..or a courtney stephans, and most likely get them at reasonable money. 

We lost a few starters in Loffler and Chungh but weren't vital cogs..nice pieces but not debilitating losses by any means.

We have 6 olineman signed and coming back who were or have all been on roster and played and save for Gray and his one game dressed have been together for 3 going on 4 years now, and Gray most likely could have been a 1st overall if the known NFL interest wasnt there.

Ace in hole..we have picks 4 and 5 and what..4 or 5 of first 24 picks..our national talent pipeline will be replenished easily again..

8 hours ago, Mr Dee said:

2ikxtuf.png

Looking at that chart does explain why we didn't make many huge moves, maybe takes some of the sting away from Redblacks fans too, but I think we came out of day one much better than them.

5 hours ago, Booch said:

That graph was before Demski and Alexander.

Sure we only signed one new guy (so far) but re-upping Alexander was just as big as bringing in a new guy.

Also all these "big" names signed so far were guys we never were really interested in or needed to augment our core of guys save for most likely Posey. But theres still Walker or Mathews who basically still fill that need and will require similar cash to sign.

Outside of QB's, we signed prob the best available impact player on the market.. (Jefferson)for market value..all the while several of the teams in our division have basically used up most of their "big game" money. So now that the dust has settled a bit Walter's can re-evalute the needs vs availability and probably get guys he wants at better SMS value. 

Based on some of the B.C ties I'm thinking Awe would look pretty good here replacing JSK and possibly a Max Forde or Joseph from Mtl for national dline rotation help especially if we draft a dlineman where there are 2 of which who can most likely step into lineup as backup/rotation right away.

We can also make a play too for Ackie now for national depth on defense as a starter..or a courtney stephans, and most likely get them at reasonable money. 

We lost a few starters in Loffler and Chungh but weren't vital cogs..nice pieces but not debilitating losses by any means.

We have 6 olineman signed and coming back who were or have all been on roster and played and save for Gray and his one game dressed have been together for 3 going on 4 years now, and Gray most likely could have been a 1st overall if the known NFL interest wasnt there.

Ace in hole..we have picks 4 and 5 and what..4 or 5 of first 24 picks..our national talent pipeline will be replenished easily again..

Agree with most of what you said, but I also question if it was smart to make our big money F.A. a defensive end. We already have Jeffcoat. Roe is serviceable, but admittedly better in rotation. But isn't DE a place we've done fairly well recruiting? Glad to have Jefferson, but wonder if DE is the best place to spend the money. Seems like we could have rolled the dice on recruiting a guy that's an upgrade to Roe and spent elsewhere.

20 minutes ago, WildPath said:

Agree with most of what you said, but I also question if it was smart to make our big money F.A. a defensive end. We already have Jeffcoat. Roe is serviceable, but admittedly better in rotation. But isn't DE a place we've done fairly well recruiting? Glad to have Jefferson, but wonder if DE is the best place to spend the money. Seems like we could have rolled the dice on recruiting a guy that's an upgrade to Roe and spent elsewhere.

we signed the second best defensive player (next to Bighill) last year, and we complain ? 

Bombers have the intention to UPGRADE their pass-rush and they get it and more from Jefferson.

Edited by M.O.A.B.

Jefferson, Bighill and Jeffcoat.....there's a wrecking crew if I ever saw one...We could insert any other D line guy  beside that trio and he'd have a heckuva year ..Could have went for a stud receiver a little harder BUT Mathews is still out there and who knows who else will get cut down south..like a Zylstra...I think the name of the game this year is patience...I hope we have enough on the O Line...Gray will be a monster but the chemistry will be missing with the loss of Chungh and Goosen....Once again patience but we don't want to be too late getting out of the gate in 19'

11 hours ago, bb1 said:

We signed more of our own free agents than anyone else. You know who else didn't make many big splashes other than re-signing their own players? Calgary. You know why that is? The teams that have had success prioritize keeping their own pieces rather than raiding other teams. The BCs and Edmontons of the world who weren't as successful made big changes to try and catch up. Always happens. The crappier teams generally make more moves. 

I dont mind going to 3-Int OL. We just need find another NAT starter on the Def side so we are not pushed to start 3-NAT Rec.

Projected start as of the moment...IF we go that route. 
RB Harris / LG Neufeld / C Couture / SB Wolitarsky / SB Demski / DT Thomas / FS Jones

Edited by M.O.A.B.

28 minutes ago, 17to85 said:

We signed more of our own free agents than anyone else. You know who else didn't make many big splashes other than re-signing their own players? Calgary. You know why that is? The teams that have had success prioritize keeping their own pieces rather than raiding other teams. The BCs and Edmontons of the world who weren't as successful made big changes to try and catch up. Always happens. The crappier teams generally make more moves. 

Difference is Calgary brings in great Rec with their recruiting that's one area for some reason we lack...we need an impact Rec...even Walters has stated that. We definitely have the coin why couldn't we land a big time Rec?

1 minute ago, bb1 said:

Difference is Calgary brings in great Rec with their recruiting that's one area for some reason we lack...we need an impact Rec...even Walters has stated that. We definitely have the coin why couldn't we land a big time Rec?

I don't think it was that simple. Burnham re-signed before FA, Ellingson followed his QB(they were a package), no TY to Carter and many of the others went south. There is still Walker and some 2nd tier Rec's but the crop thinned quick.

3 minutes ago, bb1 said:

It's not May yet.....