Bomber News: 2019 Off Season

Rich
Message added by Rich

For minor off-season Bomber news.  Any significant stories or news that is likely to generate significant discussion may have its own thread created.  General CFL news can be found here.

5 minutes ago, Booch said:

I like the ability of our safety to cover..move up play man..and go from sideline to sideline tracking the ball..loffler doesnt offer that..big hits ain't all that..

He was being sarcastic, I believe.  Doesn’t think Loffler was measuring up to his hype.

I think Jones could take over.  He’s a great athlete and he’s been around for a while.

1 hour ago, Noeller said:

17to85 and I were just talking about how Jones is such an MOS guy... Paid his dues on Teams and really earned a shot to play full time... 

Jones is a good player and far better in coverage than Loffler..

I don’t understand the hate towards him, maybe because he doesn’t have the big hits and highlight plays that Loffler does.

6 minutes ago, Bubba Zanetti said:

Team is gonna look hella-different next season. Gone are Goossen, Chung, Dressler, Loffler, Santos-Knox, Okpalaugo, Randle, Leggett, and Fogg. Wow. Should still have a ton of cap space. Derel Walker anyone?

Really?  I think this year is the first time in forever that we have mostly the same team from the season previously (in a good way).  

1 minute ago, Brandon said:

Is it really a massive turnover?  We had just as much if not more turn over on our team last season and way more the previous years during the dark days.  

2/5 of the leagues best OL, your all star starting safety 3 years in a row, your starting WIL backer, 2 starting half backs..... That's a lot. 

9 minutes ago, Noeller said:

2/5 of the leagues best OL, your all star starting safety 3 years in a row, your starting WIL backer, 2 starting half backs..... That's a lot. 

We've lost 6 players many times before.. maybe the quality of guys we lost is higher this season but definitely not the quantity.   Jeeze for several seasons we had 4 new receivers and 2 - 3 new qbs changing.. 6 guys is not much.   

21 minutes ago, Brandon said:

We've lost 6 players many times before.. maybe the quality of guys we lost is higher this season but definitely not the quantity.   Jeeze for several seasons we had 4 new receivers and 2 - 3 new qbs changing.. 6 guys is not much.   

When you look around the league there are very few teams who won't be losing players of this caliber. What remains to be seen is how much Winnipeg adds.  There are a lot of free agents still available and I'd say that BC and Edmonton have gotta be running out of cap space if they haven't already.  I'm expecting at least 3 or 4 more veterans to be added to this team via free agency.

We lost half our oline and no new impact receivers signed... just kinda blows my mind that BC can throw 700k around for a Qb and edm signed Harris for 500k a year and we after losing so many quality players can only muster Jefferson? Spin it any way you want but why are other teams spending coin and we are not? I guess the other teams are more hungry for a cup??? Flame away but I thought this was our year to really push.....

Edited by bb1

4 minutes ago, bb1 said:

We lost half our oline and no new impact receivers signed... just kinda blows my mind that BC can throw 700k around for a Qb and edm signed Harris for 500k a year and we after losing so many quality players can only muster Jefferson? Spin it any way you want but why are other teams spending coin and we are not? I guess the other teams are more hungry for a cup??? Flame away but I thought this was our year to really push.....

Holy geez, training camp does start tomorrow. I'm completely caught off guard. Time flies. 

Most of the guys BC signed outside of Reilly were replacement level. You don’t just sign guys for the hell of it. This is a good roster outside of a few sore spots. A receiver would have been nice but we didn’t miss out. Jefferson was arguably the best non-QB free agent. 

Edited by AKAChip

1 minute ago, bb1 said:

We lost half our oline and no new impact receivers signed... just kinda blows my mind that BC can throw 700k around for a Qb and edm signed Harris for 500k a year and we after losing so many quality players can only muster Jefferson? Spin it any way you want but why are other teams spending coin and we are not? I guess the other teams are more hungry for a cup???

Last time I checked we lost a guard and a center and we still have the best offensive lineman in the league at left tackle. Outside of picking up Jefferson who's one of the best defensive players in the league and better than any defensive player we've lost, Winnipeg had a very Calgary Stampeder like day one of free agency. It's all about maximizing the return on what you spend. All teams in the CFL pretty much end up spending the same amount. Until recently Winnipeg didn't have enough talent to have to worry about losing anybody. Now they are at a point where they don't have to make foolish desperate moves and overpay for a guard just because they don't have a backup plan in place. I mean 250k is a lot of money to spend on a Canadian isn't at a ratio breaker position and it would cost them something somewhere else.