Bomber News: 2019 Off Season

Rich
Message added by Rich

For minor off-season Bomber news.  Any significant stories or news that is likely to generate significant discussion may have its own thread created.  General CFL news can be found here.

13 minutes ago, JCon said:

Really, speculation on a forum?? Good god, call the police. 

I'm asking you - if Chungh said, I'll stay but only if you match the BC offer and add $10k? $20k? $30k? At what point are you out. 

Let's say BC offered $200k. 

Go...

I'm telling you, without knowing what the real numbers are and the rest of the SMS for both teams, no one can possibly answer that question with any degree of accuracy.

Lets say twitter is right. BC offered $250K and we offered $200K. I'd have at least matched the Lions number, maybe 5K more. I'd rather have Chungh than Jefferson at $200+K.

Edited by TBURGESS

Love having Demski back...he was a guy that I would have been fine if we moved on from, but finding a way to get him back helps the ratio. Kick returns and so multi-dimensional on offense....he's a really useful guy at the right price, and hopefully they got him at the right price.

2 minutes ago, JCon said:

That's what I saw. So, start at $250k. Should we have done that? 

That’s three times the average salary, potentially a bit less depending on where the cap ends up. Maybe if he played tackle.  There’s lots of guys who can play interior.  Once you start paying a bunch of guys those kinds of numbers your depth takes a huuuge hit and if that guy tears a bicep in TC you can’t replace him even with his salary not counting on the cap because you still have to pay him.

You can basically have a QB and 2-3 guys paid at that level.  Chungh is a good guard but he’d have to be 100% perfect guard to command that money.

Our guys are Bighill, Harris, Bryant, maybe one more.

2 minutes ago, TBURGESS said:

I'm telling you, without knowing what the real numbers are and the rest of the SMS for both teams, no one can possibly answer that question with any degree of accuracy.

Lets say twitter is right. BC offered $250K and we offered $200K. I'd have at least matched the Lions number, maybe 5K more. I'd rather have Chungh than Jefferson at $200+K.

Thank-you for answering the question. So, you would go to $255k for a starting, Canadian RG? 

8 minutes ago, JCon said:

Thank-you for answering the question. So, you would go to $255k for a starting, Canadian RG? 

I would pay that much for Chungh since he is consistent and isn't injury prone.   The problem though is if BC is offering him 250 and he wants to go back home to be closer to family... we probably would of had to offer 300 k just to keep him from leaving.     I don't think the Blue gave up on signing him... sometimes other factors play in and their is nothing that we can do. 

I am glad that we continue to draft young guys and can fill holes with guys like Couture and Gray when others leave. 

8 minutes ago, JCon said:

Asked and answered. You'd rather start a rookie or an extra import OL and find yet another starting NI somewhere else? Think that's any cheaper or easier?

Just now, TBURGESS said:

Asked and answered. You'd rather start a rookie or an extra import OL and find yet another starting NI somewhere else? Think that's any cheaper or easier?

Yes, I would rather sign an experienced NI OL for less, start someone in our existing line-up or start a NI somewhere else, than pay a NI RG $255k. I think that's above the market rate. We'll see how the other NI RGs do in FA. 

1 minute ago, JCon said:

Yes, I would rather sign an experienced NI OL for less, start someone in our existing line-up or start a NI somewhere else, than pay a NI RG $255k. I think that's above the market rate. We'll see how the other NI RGs do in FA. 

$250K is Chungh's market rate, assuming that's what BC paid him.

It's pretty clear the Bombers were going to lose Goosen and Chungh regardless, personal decisions lead to their departure.  Walter's has probably known this scenario for months so hopefully he has a solid B-plan to limit the damage to the O-line and repair the ratio, I'd like to see him use some of the discovered savings to resign or replace Natls. rather than throw it at overpriced Imports at the top of their pay-scale.  

2 minutes ago, Throw Long Bannatyne said:

It's pretty clear the Bombers were going to lose Goosen and Chungh regardless, personal decisions lead to their departure.  Walter's has probably known this scenario for months so hopefully he has a solid B-plan to limit the damage to the O-line and repair the ratio, I'd like to see him use some of the discovered savings to resign or replace Natls. rather than throw it at overpriced Imports at the top of their pay-scale.  

The draft.