Bomber News: 2019 Off Season

Rich
Message added by Rich

For minor off-season Bomber news.  Any significant stories or news that is likely to generate significant discussion may have its own thread created.  General CFL news can be found here.

Yeah, I don't get the the hard line on JSKs part to be honest.  He played well last year and really did start to come into his own .. was also exposed a fair bit as well .. he had a great Sophomore year playing alongside one of the leagues best (if not best) middle linebacker.  Would have loved to see him back in blue and gold, for the sake of continuity and to see this defensive unit continue to gel.  Nature of the business though. 

1 minute ago, Noeller said:

sounds like it but until 11am CST, nothing is "certain". As for Gray, he's sure got the tools, but he needs to prove it yet...

I going into this season would have loved to have rolled with Gray / Chungh (I like his style of nasty) because for as consistent as Neufeld was last year, he does have a bit of an injury history and our depth along the line is going to take a bit of a hit this year (in terms of guys ready to step in).

1 minute ago, TBURGESS said:
Hearing LB Jovan Santos-Knox found a contract for around $145,000, plus bonuses. Not sure the team yet, but maybe Sask? Good for him, he's a heck of a player and deserves that deal. High character guy that any locker room would want.

Doesn't sound like a huge number to me.

Sounds like Winnipeg really needed to go in another direction there.  Either a league minimum type of player like Wilson or a Canadian and go with a cheaper import safety. 

1 minute ago, TBURGESS said:
Hearing LB Jovan Santos-Knox found a contract for around $145,000, plus bonuses. Not sure the team yet, but maybe Sask? Good for him, he's a heck of a player and deserves that deal. High character guy that any locker room would want.

Doesn't sound like a huge number to me.

the raise itself would be the big news there, no?  He couldn't have been making 6 figures before? 

5 minutes ago, Colin Unger said:

Sounds like Winnipeg really needed to go in another direction there.  Either a league minimum type of player like Wilson or a Canadian and go with a cheaper import safety. 

You might have a point, Walters categorizes money into position groups so this could explain why he spent on Bighill and cheaped out on JSK.

Just now, Throw Long Bannatyne said:

You might have a point, Walters categorizes money into position groups so this could explain why he spent on Bighill and cheaped out on JSK.

Worth it.  JSK would have been a key player for us if Bighill didn't come back.. Would have likely been our starting middle linebacker.