Bomber News: 2019 Off Season

Rich
Message added by Rich

For minor off-season Bomber news.  Any significant stories or news that is likely to generate significant discussion may have its own thread created.  General CFL news can be found here.

1 minute ago, Tracker said:

The joker in the deck may be that Hervey is now out of Wally's shadow and has to prove himself. To make a splash, I wouldn't put it past him to thumb his nose at the salary cap.

Braley would like to have a word with you. 

23 hours ago, TBURGESS said:

Folks around here are using the wrong word. It's not that we can't afford Chungh. It's that we won't pay him what he wants.

I don't understand the point you're trying to make here... Are you suggesting the Bomber should just pay him whatever he wants, regardless of value and SMS?... I'm not sure if 250k is a number that someone made up on this site... but if that's his number, I doubt he gets that anywhere...

he won't get it...cause as it stands it would make him the highest paid non-QB player in the league....does anyone think he is the player to command that??....nope....200k I bet is what he maxes out at..185 being more realistic and practical...

2 hours ago, Booch said:

he won't get it...cause as it stands it would make him the highest paid non-QB player in the league....does anyone think he is the player to command that??....nope....200k I bet is what he maxes out at..185 being more realistic and practical...

Has Chungh received any interest from the NFL?  That's telling.

Edited by Throw Long Bannatyne

41 minutes ago, bearpants said:

I don't understand the point you're trying to make here... Are you suggesting the Bomber should just pay him whatever he wants, regardless of value and SMS?... I'm not sure if 250k is a number that someone made up on this site... but if that's his number, I doubt he gets that anywhere...

No, I'm not suggesting we pay him whatever he wants. I'm suggesting that we pay him whatever he's worth on the open market plus a bit to make sure we keep him. Losing him for a couple of thousand dollars to stay within the number we arbitrarily choose for him doesn't help us at all. It helps another team get better and stronger in their NI starters.

The idea that we can't afford him is dumb. We can afford him if we choose to.

7 minutes ago, TBURGESS said:

No, I'm not suggesting we pay him whatever he wants. I'm suggesting that we pay him whatever he's worth on the open market plus a bit to make sure we keep him. Losing him for a couple of thousand dollars to stay within the number we arbitrarily choose for him doesn't help us at all. It helps another team get better and stronger in their NI starters.

I think there's two things wrong here: 1) It's ridiculous to believe the number we have for him is arbitrary.   2) It's ridiculous to believe they'd let an all star NI OL walk for "a couple thousand dollars". Nothing about Kyle Walters FA history says any of what you're thinking is even remotely possible.

Its seems fairly clear that Gray has already replaced Chungh...  the question I guess in Walters' mind is whether Chungh can replace Neufeld at LG and if they think Neufeld is durable for a full season.

$250k is maybe NI Tackle money... not right guard.

I do think that now Burnham has been signed $$ might magically 'free' up for Chungh...

10 minutes ago, Floyd said:

Its seems fairly clear that Gray has already replaced Chungh...  the question I guess in Walters' mind is whether Chungh can replace Neufeld at LG and if they think Neufeld is durable for a full season.

$250k is maybe NI Tackle money... not right guard.

I do think that now Burnham has been signed $$ might magically 'free' up for Chungh...

he did last year, so why not??

well hell...then they gotta shed some serious salaries...either of them let alone both with now implications...especially with Soli pulling in 200k+

maybe they cut him and he decides to rejoin Biggie..and Fenner...Roh...I'd pay him in the 180-195k range in a heartbeat to join the defense

37 minutes ago, TBURGESS said:

I think you are knit-picking a little hard at those semantics. 

29 minutes ago, Noeller said:

I think there's two things wrong here: 1) It's ridiculous to believe the number we have for him is arbitrary.   2) It's ridiculous to believe they'd let an all star NI OL walk for "a couple thousand dollars". Nothing about Kyle Walters FA history says any of what you're thinking is even remotely possible.

1. Arbitrary - Not the 'whim' definition, the 'autocratic in the use of authority' definition. In other words, we have a number that we've decided on.

2. If some other team makes a higher offer than we do, we could lose Chungh for a few (Yes, I changed from a couple to a few) thousand dollars. Nothing to say that we will match or beat any other offers or even that Chungh will give us the chance.

13 minutes ago, JuranBoldenRules said:

Interested to see where Demski ends up.  Inconsistent but still a NI who put up 800 yards from scrimmage.

Watching Bisons games back in the day, I had high hopes that he might turn into a superstar for the Bombers. Not sure he'll ever be that, but he's a real weapon when he's healthy. Can do a lot of important things for a team... 

2 minutes ago, Noeller said:

Watching Bisons games back in the day, I had high hopes that he might turn into a superstar for the Bombers. Not sure he'll ever be that, but he's a real weapon when he's healthy. Can do a lot of important things for a team... 

You're right, but fortunately, our NI depth is such now that we can let him walk because we have guys to replace him.  I liked Demski but he was a bit fragile and his ball control leaves a lot to be desired.   If he's moving on, good luck to him.