Bomber News: 2019 Off Season

Rich
Message added by Rich

For minor off-season Bomber news.  Any significant stories or news that is likely to generate significant discussion may have its own thread created.  General CFL news can be found here.

I think JSK will find out very quickly how much influence having Bighill beside him had on his performance...

If Loffler and JSK moving on, I'd throw $$ at Chris Ackie in a heartbeat - could end up in either position and is a legit ratio breaker

My main FA targets would be:

Elite CDN LB/DB - Ackie, Lokombo or maybe Francis

Elite import REC - Burnham or Roosevelt

Exp Safety - Gabriel or Stephens

Sleeper National - Terrell Davis or Anthony Thompson

8 minutes ago, Noeller said:

Refresh my memory...where did that 2nd pick in R1 come from...?

https://www.cfl.ca/2018/05/02/lions-acquire-first-round-selection-pick-swap-bombers/

We traded with BC in 2018... we gave up our 2018 first round pick (7th) and 2nd round pick (16th) in return for their 2019 first round pick (and their 2018 2nd round pick(12th))

Not too shabby.

10 minutes ago, Floyd said:

I think JSK will find out very quickly how much influence having Bighill beside him had on his performance...

If Loffler and JSK moving on, I'd throw $$ at Chris Ackie in a heartbeat - could end up in either position and is a legit ratio breaker

I agree with all of this except for the Roosevelt. Injury and age along with his likely fairly large $$$ make me hesitant he would be worth it. Burnham absolutely, if not Walker.

53 minutes ago, Floyd said:

I would agree..Though Francis v=can prob be grabbed at a bargainish price..he's a special teamer at best...Maaaaybe a safety

Roosevalt...no thanks..injury issues and age..I'd be targeting Burnham..Walker..and Posey in that order

Also..Adeleke has way more upside than Francis..doubt he makes it to free agency but if he does..hope we go hard..safety...returner..even boundary corner possibilities and he played sam as well for CGY and did just fine...hence why I tink he gets signed prior to

59 minutes ago, Booch said:

I would agree..Though Francis v=can prob be grabbed at a bargainish price..he's a special teamer at best...Maaaaybe a safety

Roosevalt...no thanks..injury issues and age..I'd be targeting Burnham..Walker..and Posey in that order

Also..Adeleke has way more upside than Francis..doubt he makes it to free agency but if he does..hope we go hard..safety...returner..even boundary corner possibilities and he played sam as well for CGY and did just fine...hence why I tink he gets signed prior to

I'd have Adeleke at the top of the list... but yeah I think he stays in Calgary - too valuable.

Love to see Ackie at WIL and another NI - Jones, Hecht or maybe Stephens - at Safety...  I'd start looking at 3 import OL then - I think Bond will be a value signing this year...

Mrabure is also a name I'd look at to rotate with Thomas

2 minutes ago, Floyd said:

I'd have Adeleke at the top of the list... but yeah I think he stays in Calgary - too valuable.

Love to see Ackie at WIL and another NI - Jones, Hecht or maybe Stephens - at Safety...  I'd start looking at 3 import OL then - I think Bond will be a value signing this year...

Mrabure is also a name I'd look at to rotate with Thomas

Honestly never even considered this. But might not be a bad pick up. Another big mauler type, and gives Gray/Spooner some more time to develop.

1 minute ago, Bigblue204 said:

Honestly never even considered this. But might not be a bad pick up. Another big mauler type, and gives Gray/Spooner some more time to develop.

Gray is our only OL ready to go...  he'll slot in for Chungh imo  

If Neufeld goes down at LG, its a huge question mark

53 minutes ago, Bigblue204 said:

Qadr Spooner is a free-agent he end the season on PR. 

Not sure if we hold his rights though. 

Edited by M.O.A.B.

3 hours ago, M.O.A.B. said:

Agree. there are lot of interesting WIL replacements on the FA market... 
Ball
Dean 
Lawrence
Awe
Ackie
Lokombo

Ball is 31 coming off a bad year. Dean is a MLB. Lawrence is 31 and coming off the worst season of his career. Awe is fine but JSK is better. Ackie is the classic overrated Canadian who puts up good tackle numbers but isn't a game breaker. Lokombo is fine I guess, probably better than Ackie but still JSK is better.

2 minutes ago, AKAChip said:

Colossal mistake to let JSK walk. May be unpopular but given his age and price tag, I'd rather him than Bighill going forward. Hard to fathom Bighill being that effective after next season.

I'm not saying I agree with the bit about preferring him over Bighill but I want JSK on this team. 

He's a good team player and learning fast. I want him to replace Bighill in a couple of years. I'm not discounting what his loss might mean to this team. 

Just now, JCon said:

I'm not saying I agree with the bit about preferring him over Bighill but I want JSK on this team. 

He's a good team player and learning fast. I want him to replace Bighill in a couple of years. I'm not discounting what his loss might mean to this team. 

That's fair. We can both agree that you have to try to keep 24-year-old upward trending players in the organization. Especially considering Walters finds so few relatively speaking.

It's not like we are letting him walk...he is obviously thinking on open market his value will be more...so we will all find out...it may be that the most he will find is 10-15 k more than what we offered and we match and all is good...but to throw a buttload of money at him before any other offers become apparent is foolish...and to mismanage your SMS in that way will reverberate through the roster elsewhere... his position isn't a super hard one to fill....and Bighill in no way will be slipping off after this year..I bet he has several other good ones after this deal left in him barring any catastrophic injury

Edited by Booch

I'd like to make a distinction between 'letting a guy walk' and a guy 'wanting to test the market'. Letting a guy walk is when a team doesn't bother making a reasonable offer to keep a guy around. I bet we have. A guy testing the market is when that same guy thinks he's worth more than a reasonable offer. I bet that's happening right now.

9 minutes ago, MOBomberFan said:

I'd like to make a distinction between 'letting a guy walk' and a guy 'wanting to test the market'. Letting a guy walk is when a team doesn't bother making a reasonable offer to keep a guy around. I bet we have. A guy testing the market is when that same guy thinks he's worth more than a reasonable offer. I bet that's happening right now.

I don't dispute this and it's a fair point but I'm just a bit sensitive to losing the few great young finds that this team uncovers because they are truly few and far between. I get that Walters needed to break the bank to sign Bighill but looking at things critically, we will probably be chasing the season he had for the entire remainder of the contract.

8 minutes ago, AKAChip said:

I don't dispute this and it's a fair point but I'm just a bit sensitive to losing the few great young finds that this team uncovers because they are truly few and far between. I get that Walters needed to break the bank to sign Bighill but looking at things critically, we will probably be chasing the season he had for the entire remainder of the contract.

If the $ amount make sense for both side then why not. If he's asking for too much then you dont want to mess your SMS. There are options out there.

27 minutes ago, AKAChip said:

Ball is 31 coming off a bad year. Dean is a MLB. Lawrence is 31 and coming off the worst season of his career. Awe is fine but JSK is better. Ackie is the classic overrated Canadian who puts up good tackle numbers but isn't a game breaker. Lokombo is fine I guess, probably better than Ackie but still JSK is better.

Dean and Lawrence can play both the WIL and MLB.
Bighill played WIL in BC when Soly was in MLB.

1 minute ago, M.O.A.B. said:

Dean and Lawrence can play both the WIL and MLB.
Bighill played WIL in BC when Soly was in MLB.

That doesn't mean that's the position best suited for him. Much like how JSK was a great WIL but overmatched in the middle, Dean is a great MLB but lacks speed and quickness that's more necessary when playing outside. Lawrence is better suited for WIL but again, he's 30 and had the worst season of his career last year by far.