Bomber News: 2019 Off Season

Rich
Message added by Rich

For minor off-season Bomber news.  Any significant stories or news that is likely to generate significant discussion may have its own thread created.  General CFL news can be found here.

1 minute ago, Tracker said:

I suspect that this was what would be called a prophylactic or preventative measure on Goossen's part. If he really wants to be a police officer and buggers up a knee, elbow back or shoulder, that career is no longer an option. Sound logic, in my eyes. Better to jump before you are pushed. That way you can choose your landing spot.

Yeah that would make a lot more sense.  I just don't see how he makes more as a police officer than in the CFL right now.  Based on Google after 3 years a police officer will make 86k. Id be inclined to think that he would make in the 180k range in the CFL this season if he continued playing.

1 minute ago, JCon said:

It's too bad that Goossen is going back to BC. He's a wonderful ambassador for the Stop The Violence and it would have been great to keep him in the community.

But, he's going home, so it makes sense. 

Yup. He could definitely turn anyone who was violent into strawberry jam.

2 minutes ago, Colin Unger said:

Yeah that would make a lot more sense.  I just don't see how he makes more as a police officer than in the CFL right now.  Based on Google after 3 years a police officer will make 86k. Id be inclined to think that he would make in the 180k range in the CFL this season if he continued playing.

Right, but three more years of football could completely make being a police officer unattainable physically. It's not about the next three years but the next thirty. 

45 minutes ago, Brandon said:

*Usually* police agencies do have an age limit for when recruits can join and I don't know the specifics for Goossen but with Surrey getting their own police force in the next year or so this may be his only chance at getting on.    In the short term he'll make less money,  but he'll be pulling in 6 figures within a year or two and then can make that for the next 30 years.   

I seriously doubt it has anything to do with salary cap because if he were to hit the open market I think many teams including BC would of thrown good money at him.

The days of minimum height/weight and upper age limits are now long gone.   I know more than a few guys who started their police careers in their late 30's and early 40's. 

FWIW: https://3downnation.com/2019/01/29/what-matthias-goossens-retirement-means-for-the-bombers/

Rumours surrounding Goossen’s retirement have been circulating for weeks, meaning the Bombers weren’t caught off guard by Tuesday’s news. Still, losing a national player as young and talented as Goossen is a tough thing to overcome.

With Sukh Chungh likely departing via free agency next month — don’t be surprised if he joins his hometown B.C. Lions — the Bombers are suddenly thinner up front than at any point in recent memory.

This could be a massive blow to the Bombers. 2 starting NI OL.

4 hours ago, Mike said:

I mean ... really? You think this is salary cap related? He's most certainly taking a pay cut to do this. He's just planning for a career that has a longer term outlook than football and props to him for it.

Can you possibly nit pick any further? That was more of a generalized than a specific statement. We do have players that quit playing because they can make more $$$ with a regular job than playing in the CFL. Mostly ST players. Some very good players do leave the game for monetary reasons. We'd all like to see the salary cap go up. Especially with 2 or 3 new leagues starting up.  That's all I meant. Did you read the rest of what I said congratulating Goosen? Or doesn't that count?

Edited by SpeedFlex27

2 hours ago, SpeedFlex27 said:

Can you possibly nit pick any further? That was more of a generalized than a specific statement. We do have players that quit playing because they can make more $$$ with a regular job than playing in the CFL. Mostly ST players. Some very good players do leave the game for monetary reasons. We'd all like to see the salary cap go up. Especially with 2 or 3 new leagues starting up.  That's all I meant. Did you read the rest of what I said congratulating Goosen? Or doesn't that count?

nitpick

5 hours ago, SpeedFlex27 said:

If you want to write stuff without people commenting on it, get a diary.

2 hours ago, Eternal optimist said:

Regarding Goosen's retirement - I'd rather him and the Bombers part ways, rather than stringing the team along. Playing professional football is an everyday thing, and if your heart isn't in it - time to move on...

I know I’d rather him part ways amicably (he handled this professionally), and that this is a better move for him in the long term (especially if he’s fallen out of love with the game), but darn, this was a second overall pick who just hit his prime.

this is pretty awful news from a team perspective.

3 hours ago, WildPath said:

Salary cap goes up and that money has to come from somewhere. Perhaps a TV deal or sponsorships, but I think we'd see it in ticket prices in some part.

And, revenues are not increasing. So either the players want a bigger slice of the existing revenue and/or they want other changes to protect them. 

It will be interesting to see their proposal. 

https://t.co/FSAcKP3qNm

WINNIPEG, MB., January 28, 2019 –  The Winnipeg Blue Bombers today announce the club has re-signed national linebacker Thomas Miles to a one-year extension. Miles was set to become a free agent next month.

Miles has spent the past two seasons in Winnipeg after signing as a free agent prior to the 2017 season. He has recorded 26 special teams tackle and nine defensive tackles in 36 games over that span. Prior to signing in Winnipeg, Miles spent three seasons with the Toronto Argonauts after being selected 33rd overall in the 2014 CFL Draft.

Through his five CFL seasons, Miles has recorded 67 defensive tackles, 42 special teams tackles, two sacks and one forced fumble in 76 career games.
Edited by Noeller

33 minutes ago, gcn11 said:

Hodge talks out his butt most of the time when it comes to FA.

agreed...hardly connected with any real inside sources...I think he just tosses a lot of "could happen" rumours out there and hopes one will come to fruition here and there and make him look credible

My best guess is Chungh wants to see what the market has to offer, and then giving the Bombers the opportunity to match it...and good on him for that