Bomber News: 2019 Off Season

Rich
Message added by Rich

For minor off-season Bomber news.  Any significant stories or news that is likely to generate significant discussion may have its own thread created.  General CFL news can be found here.

52 minutes ago, Jacquie said:

The Als and Argos had two of the largest coaching staffs in the league last year. 

large doesn't necessarily mean most expensive. It would be interesting to know what these teams paid their staffs in comparison to others. I can't see Montreal as a "Go To" destination for coaches. 

WINNIPEG, MB., January 29, 2019 –   Winnipeg Blue Bombers centre Matthias Goossen has informed the team he has decided to retire from professional football.

Statement from Matthias Goossen:

“After much prayer and consideration, I have decided to end my football career. Firstly, I want to thank my family, and especially my wife, for being a constant source of support over the course of my football career. I also want to thank my teammates who made my five years of playing professional football a true blessing, and am especially thankful for the brotherhood of offensive linemen who made it a privilege every day to come into work. I want to thank Coach O’shea and coach Marty Costello for being two of the best coaches I have ever had. The Blue Bombers organization has been great to me over these past 5 years, and I am so grateful to have played for a team that does so much for its players and community. Lastly, I want to thank the people of Winnipeg. I have met so many great people here and can say that this city has felt like home over my 5 seasons wearing the blue and gold.”

Statement from Blue Bombers General Manager Kyle Walters:

“First off, we would sincerely like to thank Matthias for his work and dedication to the Winnipeg Blue Bombers. From the moment we drafted him in 2014, Matthias has shown tremendous professionalism both on and off the field. His work in the community is something we are very proud of, and he represented the Blue Bombers the right way. As far as our roster is concerned, Matthias was gracious enough to inform us of this decision quite some time ago, so we have been working accordingly. He is a fantastic young man, and we wish him all the best moving forward.”

Goossen was originally selected by Winnipeg in the first round, second overall, in the 2014 CFL Draft. He dressed for 87 career regular season games, making 64 starts. He also started all four playoff games during his time with Winnipeg.

Just now, Noeller said:

WINNIPEG, MB., January 29, 2019 –   Winnipeg Blue Bombers centre Matthias Goossen has informed the team he has decided to retire from professional football.

Statement from Matthias Goossen:

“After much prayer and consideration, I have decided to end my football career. Firstly, I want to thank my family, and especially my wife, for being a constant source of support over the course of my football career. I also want to thank my teammates who made my five years of playing professional football a true blessing, and am especially thankful for the brotherhood of offensive linemen who made it a privilege every day to come into work. I want to thank Coach O’shea and coach Marty Costello for being two of the best coaches I have ever had. The Blue Bombers organization has been great to me over these past 5 years, and I am so grateful to have played for a team that does so much for its players and community. Lastly, I want to thank the people of Winnipeg. I have met so many great people here and can say that this city has felt like home over my 5 seasons wearing the blue and gold.”

Statement from Blue Bombers General Manager Kyle Walters:

“First off, we would sincerely like to thank Matthias for his work and dedication to the Winnipeg Blue Bombers. From the moment we drafted him in 2014, Matthias has shown tremendous professionalism both on and off the field. His work in the community is something we are very proud of, and he represented the Blue Bombers the right way. As far as our roster is concerned, Matthias was gracious enough to inform us of this decision quite some time ago, so we have been working accordingly. He is a fantastic young man, and we wish him all the best moving forward.”

Goossen was originally selected by Winnipeg in the first round, second overall, in the 2014 CFL Draft. He dressed for 87 career regular season games, making 64 starts. He also started all four playoff games during his time with Winnipeg.

Going out on his terms. 

1 minute ago, Brandon said:

Well I'd rather he retire then go play in Riderville!   

I wonder if this changes the plan with Walters? 

Well you didn't read the article i see. 

Cuz if you did, you'd see... He informed them of this decision some time ago 

Matthias was gracious enough to inform us of this decision quitesome time ago, so we have beenworking accordingly. 

Edited by Goalie

@DarrinBauming
FollowingFollowing @DarrinBauming
More

Matthias Goossen will retire from pro football to pursue a career in police work back in his home province of British Columbia. There was a reason the #Bombers had a priority in securing Michael Couture last week prior to free agency opening. He’s likely the new starting centre.

Surprised that it's a retirement, I did think he was going home to play in BC, not to pursue another career.

Kind of assumed he would've told the Bombers about his intentions to not return but it really should be stated that it makes him a big time class act that he did so. He put his house up for sale shortly after the season ended, which is why I had an inkling he wouldn't be back.

4 minutes ago, bustamente said:

Kind of reminds me when Neil McKingley retired to become a firefighter, of course he wasn't as important to the Bombers as Goossen, this is a big loss no doubt but if the Bombers can re sign Chungh the line should be in good shape.

It's good to have depth......

Just now, Bigblue204 said:

Couture has been around long enough. Might be some drop in talent, but shouldn't have an issue gelling 

That’s exactly right and speaks to how this team has been managed.  There’s a very high likelihood that we will be dressing 6 OL who won’t be strangers, even if they haven’t been starters yet.