Bomber News: 2019 Off Season

Rich
Message added by Rich

For minor off-season Bomber news.  Any significant stories or news that is likely to generate significant discussion may have its own thread created.  General CFL news can be found here.

10 hours ago, Mike said:

I think Goossen is the one not coming back and to be honest, it seems all but certain.

Dont know if Chungh comes back but I do know I’ll be very surprised to see Goossen back. 

I'm curious as to why you think this. Goossen has been so involved in the community, you'd think it would be more likely to see him back.

Gaitor through 2020 is awesome. I can't imagine he's breaking the bank, either. I was stoked when we signed him, one of Rigmaiden's earlier BC carryovers that has really paid off. BC must be kicking themselves over the talent they've let slip away in the past couple seasons.

Stability, baby. We got it.

In contrast to the CFL, NFL playoff TV ratings are through the roof - 3downnation

I didn't realize how poor the rating were these past playoffs. 

From the article: 

The GreyCup was also a disappointment. Viewership for the CFL’s championship game between the Calgary Stampeders and the Ottawa Redblacks was just 3.1 million on TSN – a decline of over 23 per cent from 2017. It was the lowest-rated game since 2001 (2.7 million) and the worst showing for TSN since they took over the broadcast rights 11 years ago.

The league has some big time issues to solve before it gets into it's next deal, presumably with TSN again, which expires after 2021.

I'm not sure why CTV doesn't carry the Grey Cup? I would think they could leverage the better ad buys there and more viewers? 

Moved to league post because it's a league issue. 

Edited by JCon

I chalk it up to this year's GC being the 'who-gives-a-damn' bowl. Oh look CGY is back in the big dance, again, against a team only 2 years removed from a championship themselves... and making their 3rd appearance in 4 years. Swap out either of these teams with literally anyone but T.O. and viewership probably would have been higher. Guess we'll never know. I didn't watch it live, either (because they can't both lose and I didn't care who won)

👁‍🗨 Happy that the Bombers have extended Anthony Gaitor. He’s been a bit of a pleasant surprise to me with his play this past season.

👁‍🗨 Surprised that the media keeps pumping the Regina-LaPolice story. Jamie Nye and now Glen Suitor. - "The league office needs to take this out of the hands of the clubs and the whim of the General Manager." Whim? Not a surprise coming from the man who can tell what players are thinking when they re involved in a game.

👁‍🗨 Jeff Hamilton- “For those fighting for Paul LaPolice, I get it. I get that it's a great opportunity. I, too, believe it's a bit unfair. But the #Bombers made a decision that was best for their team, something LaPo does every day, which often leaves a player upset. It's the business you're in.”   Truth.

If a team fires a coordinator/coach, they still get paid out...  if you signed a contract, honour that contract 

If Lapo is waiting for a coaching job ONLY in Regina, then that's not a really great strategy... besides he'll be hired there in two years anyway 

Why on earth he would want to go to Sask and repeat his 'no QB' coaching episode is beyond me anyway.

13 hours ago, Floyd said:

If Gray surprises, then no reason to hide Neufeld...  no more logjam an NI OL

If Goosen and Chung are back I think we have a real opportunity to go with 4 non imports on the offensive line.  They should let Gray settle in a bit and wait for an injury to Hardrick or Bryant and then try it out. I’d prefer for this season to give Gray opportunities at guard and play Neufeld at   Tackle if such an opportunity arrives. But long term I think it will be Gray. 

50 minutes ago, Mr Dee said:

👁‍🗨 Happy that the Bombers have extended Anthony Gaitor. He’s been a bit of a pleasant surprise to me with his play this past season.

👁‍🗨 Surprised that the media keeps pumping the Regina-LaPolice story. Jamie Nye and now Glen Suitor. - "The league office needs to take this out of the hands of the clubs and the whim of the General Manager." Whim? Not a surprise coming from the man who can tell what players are thinking when they re involved in a game.

👁‍🗨 Jeff Hamilton- “For those fighting for Paul LaPolice, I get it. I get that it's a great opportunity. I, too, believe it's a bit unfair. But the #Bombers made a decision that was best for their team, something LaPo does every day, which often leaves a player upset. It's the business you're in.”   Truth.

If anything the league has been moving more towards contracts mattering and not going on the opposite direction.  There was a situation with Noel Thorpe a couple years back where he was forced to return to Montreal or receive compensation.  If memory serves me correct.  Riders are just upset to not be receiving special treatment and not being able to buy the most expensive football ops in the league anymore.  I’m pretty much over it. 

7 minutes ago, Colin Unger said:

If Goosen and Chung are back I think we have a real opportunity to go with 4 non imports on the offensive line.  They should let Gray settle in a bit and wait for an injury to Hardrick or Bryant and then try it out. I’d prefer for this season to give Gray opportunities at guard and play Neufeld at   Tackle if such an opportunity arrives. But long term I think it will be Gray. 

I never want to see Neufeld at tackle again ha...

Feels a bit like Walters is going to let one of our OL walk so that we can sign a high-end NI REC...  price we pay for no REC scouting...  hoping Im wrong

53 minutes ago, Floyd said:

I never want to see Neufeld at tackle again ha...

Feels a bit like Walters is going to let one of our OL walk so that we can sign a high-end NI REC...  price we pay for no REC scouting...  hoping Im wrong

I hope you're wrong too, no need to spend big money on an established name receiver when their shopping list of needs is so short.  Either find a receiver through scouting or gamble on a younger F.A. with all of the measurables just coming into their own like Dominique Rhymes.

14 minutes ago, Throw Long Bannatyne said:

I hope you're wrong too, no need to spend big money on an established name receiver when their shopping list of needs is so short.  Either find a receiver through scouting or gamble on a younger F.A. with all of the measurables just coming into their own like Dominique Rhymes.

I don't know. Someone like Burnham would look pretty solid in Blue and Gold.

5 minutes ago, bryan35 said:

We need to sign our CDN olinemen. That should be a priority. It would be a huge mistake to let Chung or Goosen go.

It would also be a huge mistake to overpay for NI-OL, when we have depth at that position. We still have holes to fill but we can't re-sign Goossen and Chungh at any cost.

I want them back but we have several priorities to make this team whole. 

1 minute ago, JCon said:

It would also be a huge mistake to overpay for NI-OL, when we have depth at that position. We still have holes to fill but we can't re-sign Goossen and Chungh at any cost.

Depends how big the overpay is, but I agree with your point. Would any other team in the league be paying anywhere near as much for their OL as we would be by bringing back everybody from last season, plus a full season of Gray & a re-signed Couture?

8 minutes ago, JCon said:

Depth? Is Couture or Gray ready to start?

If there is a position to "over pay" CDN oline would be it. Also top tier qb. Just my opinion.

I just remember not long ago when we had no real good cdn linemen.

1 minute ago, bryan35 said:

Starting Non Imports way harder to find and thus more valuable.

Already replaced 1 of them with Gray if he can play centre than Goosen can go, if Goosen signs than Chungh can go, Walters may feel comfortable with Couture at centre and Gray at guard which means both can go.

1 minute ago, bustamente said:

Already replaced 1 of them with Gray if he can play centre than Goosen can go, if Goosen signs than Chungh can go, Walters may feel comfortable with Couture at centre and Gray at guard which means both can go.

Couture and Gray haven't shown that they are ready to start. Maybe they are but we don't really know yet. Has Neufeld ever made it through an entire season when starting?