Bomber News: 2019 Off Season

Rich
Message added by Rich

For minor off-season Bomber news.  Any significant stories or news that is likely to generate significant discussion may have its own thread created.  General CFL news can be found here.

5 minutes ago, Throw Long Bannatyne said:

I wish all the DB's were that size!

DBs that size, who can actually cover, are in the NFL.....it's a Golden Rule of the CFL that almost always, if you have a DB that size, they can't cover for ****.

Darren CameronVerified account @Darren_Cameron

#Bombers have re-signed DE Jackson Jeffcoat to two-year extension. Jeffcoat was to be a free agent next month. Over two seasons in Winnipeg (28 games), he’s recorded 12 sacks, 57 defensive tackles, one INT & three forced fumbles. Recorded four sacks in two playoff games in 2018.

49 minutes ago, sweep the leg said:

Darren CameronVerified account @Darren_Cameron

#Bombers have re-signed DE Jackson Jeffcoat to two-year extension. Jeffcoat was to be a free agent next month. Over two seasons in Winnipeg (28 games), he’s recorded 12 sacks, 57 defensive tackles, one INT & three forced fumbles. Recorded four sacks in two playoff games in 2018.

And he's only get better!

4 hours ago, Colin Unger said:

Bring on the corresponding cap saving cuts!

I know Wild was on a 'friendly' deal but I would think the timing of his release is due to Jeffcoat...

Would be nice to see Nevis re-signed

I'd say Okpo, LaFrance, Corney all gone for sure - maybe Chungh, Demski, Fogg, Alexander opt for FA...  crazy year

1 hour ago, Floyd said:

I know Wild was on a 'friendly' deal but I would think the timing of his release is due to Jeffcoat...

Would be nice to see Nevis re-signed

I'd say Okpo, LaFrance, Corney all gone for sure - maybe Chungh, Demski, Fogg, Alexander opt for FA...  crazy year

I can honestly see Corney and Chungh coming back. But I think you are right about the rest. I honestly hope the team doesn't have interest in Demski

2 minutes ago, Bigblue204 said:

I can honestly see Corney and Chungh coming back. But I think you are right about the rest. I honestly hope the team doesn't have interest in Demski

If Woli, Peterman and Simonise are all cheaper... I'd spend that money on Loffler

From Kelly Moore on twitter (copied/pasted to spare you guys on mobile):

-DE Jackson Jeffcoat told reporters during a media conference call that being wanted by @Wpg_BlueBombers was a factor in his signing a two year extension and foregoing CFL free agency.

-Jeffcoat says he "thought" he had something going with Cincinnati- only to receive a call personally from the Bengals because they did not have contact info for his agent- who has since been fired.

-By the time he hired a new representative, he was more or less going to be training camp fodder. So he got in touch with Mike O'Shea, and then Kyle Walters. Numbers started getting tossed around about a month ago,

-And then negotiations took on a more serious tone over the last couple of weeks, leading to this morning's announcement. Jeffcoat says the Bombers are close, but he's not interested in being close.

-And he sees Wpg as his best chance to win a championship for the first time since at least middle school.

Sounds like we are lucky he slipped through the cracks. Glad he's back in the fold.

Going to be interesting to see what happens with our picks this year...  I doubt Walters will have much space to pay 2-3 top round picks

I think JSK is the next announced signing

And cue the annual 'Hey DBs and import OL are great but when are we actually going to sign an exciting REC prospect' discussion...

20 minutes ago, Bigblue204 said:

I'd rather have Chungh then Loffler, but you do make a good point.

Typically I would be in agreement with you but its really hard right now with the amazing depth this team has on the offensive line.  I don't think we really have a ratio breaker that can fill in for Loffler for 18 games without there being a noticeable downgrade or end up changing the ratio. If Chung signs somewhere else i feel like Geoff Gray could step right in there and offer more than Chung did his first year in the CFL.   If both Goosen and Chung come back it kind of creates a logjam with all the guys we currently have under contract. 

45 minutes ago, Bigblue204 said:

I don't agree, Demski's versatility as a RB/receiver makes him difficult to replace, the only other player currently on the team that can fulfill that role is Flanders and we've seen the problems getting him on the roster.   A key element of LaPo's playbook is creating distractions away from Harris so defences can't key on him, that includes running and passing options and Demski adds both.

Edited by Throw Long Bannatyne

Id like to see Goose Chungh JSK and Alexander back. I feel Loffler is extremely overrated. Id take Demski over Loffler.. I feel hes more of an impact player. 

Chungh prob goes tho as Gray and Couture can replace him. Goose i think is pretty much a Winnipeger now. 

Edited by Goalie

1 hour ago, Bigblue204 said:

What makes you think Corney would be back?  Last I heard he left the team, during the season, and there hadn't been much contact.  Any new info?