Bomber News: 2019 Off Season

Rich
Message added by Rich

For minor off-season Bomber news.  Any significant stories or news that is likely to generate significant discussion may have its own thread created.  General CFL news can be found here.

save for a guy or two we "might " lose to the NFL..I have a pretty good feeling we will be able to sign the free agents of ours that we want to sign...and also have an ace in the hole over the rest of our Western counterparts as we already know where our QB SMS money is allocated for 2019...so we can target certain guys at certain price points knowing it fits our budget, whereas the uncertainty of what QB's will be actually available come free agency and 3-4 teams fighting for them with price obviously being driven up to unknown numbers..will make it hard for some teams to go after other assets they need aggressively as they can't hamstring themselves...so shall be an interesting next couple months

1 hour ago, captaincanuck12 said:

I don't think it's that simple as others have pointed out, but I mean obviously I would keep Bighill.   That's assuming BIghill and his family want to stay in Winnipeg.  I think Bighill wants to play here, but he has stated that the decision will be made based on what's best for his family. 

Randle is a great corner and keeping him in the fold obviously would have been good for us and it'll be tough to be playing against him . 

100% agree .   I get that this is a business, and the amount of free agents we have is staggering and we'll need $$$ to keep the players that are deemed the core.     So I 'm betting there will be another shockwave coming to the blue n gold fan base.  

Rumours are if the Lions do sign Reilly then they'd not sign Bighill as they couldn't afford both. Reilly would be the #1 CFL FA available & Bighill #2. 

I would say Reilly and BLM (if he doesnt go NFL ) are 1a and 1b..take your pick...4 teams in the west need a legit #1 guy this year...and really...these are the only 2 legit #1's out there...Harris will re-sign in Ottawa so I don't even include him...and if he doesn't sign there and does out west..then Ottawa then becomes a player for the aforementioned 1a and 1b

8 hours ago, Booch said:

I would say Reilly and BLM (if he doesnt go NFL ) are 1a and 1b..take your pick...4 teams in the west need a legit #1 guy this year...and really...these are the only 2 legit #1's out there...Harris will re-sign in Ottawa so I don't even include him...and if he doesn't sign there and does out west..then Ottawa then becomes a player for the aforementioned 1a and 1b

BLM is never in the discussion as a CFL FA like Reilly is. Probably because Bo made his decision known he wanted to go to the NFL unlike Reilly who is looking to remain in the CFL. I see a scenario where Bo signs an NFL deal or he comes back to the Stamps. I can't see him leaving to play elsewhere in the CFL but you never know as money sure does talk. 

15 hours ago, SpeedFlex27 said:

BLM is never in the discussion as a CFL FA like Reilly is. Probably because Bo made his decision known he wanted to go to the NFL unlike Reilly who is looking to remain in the CFL. I see a scenario where Bo signs an NFL deal or he comes back to the Stamps. I can't see him leaving to play elsewhere in the CFL but you never know as money sure does talk. 

I thought I read Reilly had a number of NFL workouts scheduled???

6 hours ago, NorthernSkunk said:

I wannna know how Nichols kneee, or whatever it was that slowed him down,  I wanna know if it's healing up.

Many fans expected Nichols to step up his game last year since said he planned to work on improving his running/mobility etc. Instead, presumably due to injury, he took a big step backwards. I say presumably because we don't know why he was so average or below in almost every facet of his game. It's possible Nichols has just plateaued at the exact level of his capabilities. Which, if so, is all the more reason why Bombers need to extend Chris Streveler now and lock him up to a long term deal. Otherwise he's gone. To me, getting Streveler locked up long term is more important than Bighill.

2 hours ago, Doublezero said:

To me, getting Streveler locked up long term is more important than Bighill.

This is one of the funniest things I've read on here in a long time... And I pray Bighill or his agent doesn't see it... 

I don't think we've had an FA as important as Bighill in years and years around these parts.... 

2 hours ago, Doublezero said:

Many fans expected Nichols to step up his game last year since said he planned to work on improving his running/mobility etc. Instead, presumably due to injury, he took a big step backwards. I say presumably because we don't know why he was so average or below in almost every facet of his game. It's possible Nichols has just plateaued at the exact level of his capabilities. Which, if so, is all the more reason why Bombers need to extend Chris Streveler now and lock him up to a long term deal. Otherwise he's gone. To me, getting Streveler locked up long term is more important than Bighill.

You know that phenomenon when fans bases over value their players and assume that players that show flashes of being very good are all of sudden destined to be superstars? 

This. 

1 hour ago, JCon said:

You know that phenomenon when fans bases over value their players and assume that players that show flashes of being very good are all of sudden destined to be superstars? 

This. 

The fans that overvalue these players are the first to turn on them when they don't meet their bloated expectations. 

5 hours ago, SpeedFlex27 said:

Why is he "otherwise" gone? Please tell me why fans like you & Skunk are always paranoid? And you are. 

Streveler is an FA at the end of next season. At the same time Nichols is ending year two of his 3-year deal at over $450k. The club might be able to afford Streveler at that point if they outright cut Nichols but probably not. In any event they'll be competing with other interested parties for his services. So good luck with that.

3 hours ago, Noeller said:

This is one of the funniest things I've read on here in a long time... And I pray Bighill or his agent doesn't see it... 

I don't think we've had an FA as important as Bighill in years and years around these parts.... 

Look, Bombers are going to sign Bighill OK? So just breathe out. Moreover, why should anyone care, Bighill or his agent included, about opinions on a fan board? That makes no sense. What does make sense is the fact that you need a better QB than Nichols to get you to the Grey Cup and to win it. If that isn't obvious I can't help you. There's been lots of QBs come and go in this league over the years but I haven't seen one in Blue and Gold with Streveler's potential and for the reasons already stated we need to lock him up now.

14 minutes ago, Doublezero said:

Streveler is an FA at the end of next season. At the same time Nichols is ending year two of his 3-year deal at over $450k. The club might be able to afford Streveler at that point if they outright cut Nichols but probably not. In any event they'll be competing with other interested parties for his services. So good luck with that.

Wow, with all the other issues with this team going into the 2019 season like re-signing Bighill & a plethora of other Bomber free agents & you're worried about that now? FA for the 2020 season is 13 months away.

10 hours ago, SpeedFlex27 said:

Wow, with all the other issues with this team going into the 2019 season like re-signing Bighill & a plethora of other Bomber free agents & you're worried about that now? FA for the 2020 season is 13 months away.

It's never to early to start a negotiation..... you pretty much say so yourself

Streveler "might" be the QB of the future but the future for Walters and O'shea is very immediate, they can't worry about who is QBing the team 3 or 4 years from now as they may no longer be in charge.  They want to win the G.C. now and like politicians their definition of the future is whittled down to the short-term, limited to this coming year and the next.  Will they risk their future by choosing Streveler's potential over Nichols competence?  I don't think so. 

If you watch a good quantity of Streveler's college game film it occurs that the play style he exhibited this past season with the Bombers is largely the same he relied on in College, aprox. 50% of plays are broken and he's ad-libbing big time.  Sandlot football doesn't work consistently against a pro level D. and no O.C. in his right mind is going to accept a QB not following his playbook to that extent, especially if the team ends up losing more games than they win.  I believe this is the reason the NFL ignored his accomplishments, Streveler has all the raw skills necessary to be a very good CFL QB but at this point he is an unpolished stone and needs to structure his game, tame the beast and settle down. 

Much like Reilly, in his early years he relied heavily on his ability to ad-lib and scramble, unfortunately the Esks. results were below .500 during this time period.  Once he settled down and focused his abilities on a fixed game-plan with options he became a much more successful QB.  Hopefully Streveler can do the same but like many rookie QB's with great broken play ability that came and went before him, it's not always a given that they will be able to adapt to the limits of the game.

Edited by Throw Long Bannatyne