Bomber News: 2019 Off Season

Rich
Message added by Rich

For minor off-season Bomber news.  Any significant stories or news that is likely to generate significant discussion may have its own thread created.  General CFL news can be found here.

SUCKS to see character gys and true pro's as well as great ballers have to be released, but so is the business and game that top teams need to do this, and once the worth is less than the value you are getting, decisions have to be made. He will definitely catch on somewhere and kudos to the Bombers for allowing him more time to do this before free agency.

Hopefully this is the evolution of our management team as well in being more Wallyesque and making the decisions as a players best before has started to show, as opposed to before where we held on far too long..wasting valuable SMS money that could be re-allocated elsewhere.

Cornerback is the easiest of the linebacking/defensive back spots to fill in the CFL with American talent as the learning curve is pretty much nil, so not too worried about us covering that position with a cheaper option and using the extra money we would have payed to Randle toward a JSK/Biggie/Jeffcoat

Its just that father time remains undefeated.. Hoping Randle signs in the east though as he will be highly motivated.  We need cash for offensive line, Loffler, Bighill, and a receiver.  This team must take the next step next season.  Looking forward to grounding and pounding versus the stamps with no Singleton or Thurman next season.

20 minutes ago, TBURGESS said:

Leggett had to go. I was against signing him last year because of his injuries and age. Randle on the other hand played well last year. I think he'll get a chance to prove us wrong on another team this year. It will be interesting to see who replaces him and how well that guy does in our defense.

But did he play $150k well? I'm not so sure that he can attain the 2017 level again. We'll miss his presence in the dressing room, I believe, but I think we have some new leaders emerging. Bighill would go a long way to improving our leadership. 

14 minutes ago, JCon said:

But did he play $150k well? I'm not so sure that he can attain the 2017 level again. We'll miss his presence in the dressing room, I believe, but I think we have some new leaders emerging. Bighill would go a long way to improving our leadership. 

Darrin Bauming @DarrinBauming Randle made $135k in 2018, including bonuses, and was set to make more in 2019.

For reference Fenner, who only got 3 starts, was at $130K according to 3DownNation,

Still one of the top guys statistically.

Dwhs5KCVsAA9Ibh.jpg:large

#Bombers have released veteran cornerback Chris Randle, one of their best defensive players for the last few years. Lions coach Devone Claybrooks told me he thinks Randle is the best boundary corner in the #CFL

Maybe he's gonna be a Lion next year.

Losing Randle sucks cause clearly he is well respected in the locker room and a pros pro, but it's a cap world and given that this team can scout DBs better than any other position moves like this have to be made. (Every offseason there's a big DB cut).

I will be hopelessly optimistic and hope that he decides to come back with a bit of a haircut but I somehow doubt that. I'll bet Chris Jones throws a pile of money at him. 

2 hours ago, Booch said:

Wild played for cheap last year...

Yeah I dunno if it's one guy repeating the Wild needs to go to save money schtick or if there are multiple people who keep saying it, but Wild at the restructured deal he took is absolutely 100% worth having around. Guy is good on teams and a very capable backup (hell I still believe he's a quality starter) so why in gods name wouldn't we keep him since he wants to play here so much he is taking a cheap deal. 

YEAH...totally agree..I think he re-signed for like 80..or 90k..pretty good value for a guy who kills it on teams...can long snap...and start and be very effective..also...a ultimate team guy and leader in the club house and a longer tenured veteran here...if he wants to come back on same type of deal...you take him back...Christ he is only 29 for the upcoming season so not like he an old fart...and probably one of the better conditioned guys in the league

6 minutes ago, Booch said:

YEAH...totally agree..I think he re-signed for like 80..or 90k..pretty good value for a guy who kills it on teams...can long snap...and start and be very effective..also...a ultimate team guy and leader in the club house and a longer tenured veteran here...if he wants to come back on same type of deal...you take him back...Christ he is only 29 for the upcoming season so not like he an old fart...and probably one of the better conditioned guys in the league

Only 29?? I was thinking he was 32 or 33. Geez, for sure if he wants to come back, for a similar pay, you do it. I would even put up a bunch as a signing bonus (when they're "allowed") or roster bonus so he feels more secure. 

22 minutes ago, WBBFanWest said:

Fairly sure that Walters has a better idea of what's going on than you do.  Crazy talk I know, but my gut's telling me I'm right.

I'm absolutely certain that Walters has a better idea of the SMS than you or I do. That being said, I don't trust your gut one iota.

23 minutes ago, trueBlue83 said:

should be able to re-structure Nichols contract and make it incentive based and drop 150K.... but that's just wishful thinking that won't happen!

Not going to happen ,  but two seasons from now I'd imagine we move on from him as our starting qb.

6 minutes ago, Brandon said:

Not going to happen ,  but two seasons from now I'd imagine we move on from him as our starting qb.

my honest belief is it's not going to take that long.... I think we're talking this upcoming season.  It's not going to surprise me at all if Streveler takes over as starter by August.  That is, of course if O'Shea can bring himself to make that move.

Just now, trueBlue83 said:

my honest belief is it's not going to take that long.... I think we're talking this upcoming season.  It's not going to surprise me at all if Streveler takes over as starter by August.  That is, of course if O'Shea can bring himself to make that move.

I think that Streveler only starts if Nichols gets hurt,    O'Shea won't hand over the keys just yet....

14 hours ago, SpeedFlex27 said:

Question - Who would you rather have. Randle or Bighill? Gotta clear space to sign him. 

I don't think it's that simple as others have pointed out, but I mean obviously I would keep Bighill.   That's assuming BIghill and his family want to stay in Winnipeg.  I think Bighill wants to play here, but he has stated that the decision will be made based on what's best for his family. 

Randle is a great corner and keeping him in the fold obviously would have been good for us and it'll be tough to be playing against him . 

12 hours ago, WBBFanWest said:

Fairly sure that Walters has a better idea of what's going on than you do.  Crazy talk I know, but my gut's telling me I'm right.

100% agree .   I get that this is a business, and the amount of free agents we have is staggering and we'll need $$$ to keep the players that are deemed the core.     So I 'm betting there will be another shockwave coming to the blue n gold fan base.  

thing is..all teams are in this boat, and actually it most likely will work in the teams favor as there will be a few big ticket guys who will get their bank...but there is only so much SMS money to go around on all teams and when the dust settles after the frenzy of the big contracts, some guys better just accept the first fair offer they get because they may have to end up playing for the same, or somewhat less than they did the previous year...there will be a lot of the second tier free agents signed to very team friendly deals this year..regardless of the cap increase