Bomber News: 2019 Off Season

Rich
Message added by Rich

For minor off-season Bomber news.  Any significant stories or news that is likely to generate significant discussion may have its own thread created.  General CFL news can be found here.

Id let Loffler go. Surely we could find a replacement for him either with in or via the draft... I mean hes ok but i feel hes kind of overrated as a safety... Hes known for a couple of big hits.. Im not sure if that's worth 120k plus. Cuz his coverage and tackling is piss poor. 

2 hours ago, AKAChip said:

Perhaps it shouldn’t, but it bugs me that Loffler was a league all star this year. He wasn’t good, but I recognize that there are a lot of really bad safeties in the league right now. It’s just a shame it gives him extra negotiation power when his play really didn’t merit it. 

That was kind of my first reaction too... I felt bad but also thought he wasn’t deserving... as I’ve said before, I think loffler is a good player and someone I’d like to keep... I don’t see him as irreplaceable...

Perhaps it shouldn’t, but it bugs me that Loffler was a league all star this year. He wasn’t good, but I recognize that there are a lot of really bad safeties in the league right now. It’s just a shame it gives him extra negotiation power when his play really didn’t merit it. 

So, what you're saying is that he's one of the best at his position currently in the CFL but shouldn't get paid as one of the best? 

I would be fine to let him walk, if the price is wrong, but your argument doesn't make a lot of sense. Supply and demand. 

Just now, Noeller said:

I'm not saying he won't go if Hervey backs a dump truck full of money up to his door, but AB4 really Really REALLY likes MOS..... Like a lot. 

Yeah Wpg is definitely not out of the race... and Bighill would go back to being second best to Elimimian in BC instead of running the D

7 hours ago, bigg jay said:

Might be wishful thinking but I'm feeling the same way.

Actually, when you listen to the whole quote, I don't hear Harris suggesting that Bighill will be back at all, in fact I'm hearing suggest that guys will do "what's best for their families".  That could mean anything, but Bighill's family is in BC...

7 minutes ago, WBBFanWest said:

Actually, when you listen to the whole quote, I don't hear Harris suggesting that Bighill will be back at all, in fact I'm hearing suggest that guys will do "what's best for their families".  That could mean anything, but Bighill's family is in BC...

Agreed.... if anything the uptown alley tweet was more promising then the Andrew Harris one....

16 minutes ago, WBBFanWest said:

Who suggested anything?  I just said I'm feeling better about our chances.  No more, no less.  It's little things like these tweets that are giving me more hope but it doesn't diminish the very real possibility he's going back to BC.

11 minutes ago, bigg jay said:

Who suggested anything?  I just said I'm feeling better about our chances.  No more, no less.  It's little things like these tweets that are giving me more hope but it doesn't diminish the very real possibility he's going back to BC.

So the tweet give you hope, but that doesn't suggest anything?  Ok then.

55 minutes ago, WBBFanWest said:

So the tweet give you hope, but that doesn't suggest anything?  Ok then.

I hope I win the lottery one day but I'm not suggesting that I will. I feel better about my chances when I actually buy a ticket.

I hope Bighill stays but I'm not suggesting he will.  I feel better about the chances of him staying when I hear him mentioned in a conversation about players who want to be here.

Hoping something happens and suggesting it will happen are two completely different things.

8 hours ago, JCon said:

So, what you're saying is that he's one of the best at his position currently in the CFL but shouldn't get paid as one of the best? 

I would be fine to let him walk, if the price is wrong, but your argument doesn't make a lot of sense. Supply and demand. 

It’s all relative. At this point in time, there are few great safeties in the CFL. Just because Loffler is better than Mike Edem and Neil King doesn’t mean we should break the bank for him. And the point is it’s annoying that a mediocre season leads to an all star nod because it’s another thing we have to potentially pay extra for. 

Bighill's family was here with him all season, and his kids have no school ties yet, or the next 2 years, so who is to say things won't be exactly the same again?

Just because a player's extended family is somewhere, doesn't mean that is the only place they will choose to play. The fact that they are all still here says a lot as well...expect to hear a signing at the latest by mid january

1 hour ago, Booch said:

Bighill's family was here with him all season, and his kids have no school ties yet, or the next 2 years, so who is to say things won't be exactly the same again?

Just because a player's extended family is somewhere, doesn't mean that is the only place they will choose to play. The fact that they are all still here says a lot as well...expect to hear a signing at the latest by mid january

Well, he was at Uptown Alley with his fam the other day. I'm not sure where that fits into TBurgs scale of likelihood of returning but it's certainly a positive. 

I assume if we see him at with Walters at a Jets game, that means it's a done deal? If it's a Moose game, they're not that serious? I'm not sure how the scale works. We don't have the Raptor measuring stick here. 

42 minutes ago, JCon said:

Well, he was at Uptown Alley with his fam the other day. I'm not sure where that fits into TBurgs scale of likelihood of returning but it's certainly a positive. 

I assume if we see him at with Walters at a Jets game, that means it's a done deal? If it's a Moose game, they're not that serious? I'm not sure how the scale works. We don't have the Raptor measuring stick here. 

FTR: Man takes his family out to bowl is a -6 on the GM takes job applicant out scale.

It’s all relative. At this point in time, there are few great safeties in the CFL. Just because Loffler is better than Mike Edem and Neil King doesn’t mean we should break the bank for him. And the point is it’s annoying that a mediocre season leads to an all star nod because it’s another thing we have to potentially pay extra for. 

The Bombers reaped 3 all-star seasons out of Loffler's rookie contract and he didn't make a peep about that inequity, I think it's fair he be allowed to earn a good wage more in line with his contributions on his next contract.  Just because you have no understanding of his assignments doesn't mean he hasn't been executing them properly.

44 minutes ago, JCon said:

I'd say it's a positive that Bighill and his family are still hanging around Wpg., if they were desperate to get back home to BC they could have abandoned Wpg. multi-weeks ago.