Bomber News: 2019 Off Season

Rich
Message added by Rich

For minor off-season Bomber news.  Any significant stories or news that is likely to generate significant discussion may have its own thread created.  General CFL news can be found here.

In a defense designed to generate turnovers Fogg year after year is among the best at generating turnovers.

Fogg would be a great replacement for Loffler.

To me Alexander, Fogg, Gaitor, Sayles are a pretty good core of a secondary.  The way those four play you can slot them in anywhere.  Randle is declining but if he takes a paycut I'd keep him around.

12 hours ago, JCon said:

He wasn't very productive this year but he sure seemed to protect the ball. 

That's very true.  he was very nicholsesque that he never really fumbled or lost yardage..

But I'd like to see more risk.. try to break one more then just catch, trudge forward 5 yards and down.

21 hours ago, Eternal optimist said:

I understand your frustration, but I'm always wary to crown a new KR/PR based on a small sample size... often teams just need a few games of film to figure out their tendencies, then thereafter are better at corralling the player...

As for getting picked on though - agree 100%.

Oh I agree.. very small sample size but his pedigree speaks to his ability and he has shown flashes in that short time frame.  I'm hopeful that he supplants Fogg as returner even if Fogg is back..

9 hours ago, 17to85 said:

Nothing wrong with the old Marvin Coleman style returns. Catch the ball and fall forward, there are worse things to do. 

Ya.. no.  we need to be able to flip the field.. especially with our dink and dunk offense.  

It's odd..  Osheas bread and butter is the teams and they seemed to have gone stale in the last 2 seasons.. 

1 hour ago, voodoochylde said:

Fogg is too much like Demond Washington for my taste and he's not a guy that I'd prioritize when looking at our free agent list. 

Pretending that Demond Washington wasn't a good player? 

Fogg is what he is, he's a versatile guy that can wear a lot of hats. He may not be the absolute best cover guy out there, but he is OK and has a knack for turning the ball over as well as the ability to be a returner. 

On 2018-11-29 at 3:43 PM, Mark H. said:

Oh, that's definitely true.  I would bet none of the O-lines in the league start a Canadian at left tackle on a regular basis

IIRC - the last one was Josh Bourke

Dan Federkiel comes to mind too...

On 2018-11-29 at 4:25 PM, Mark H. said:

Don't know.  The guy said he didn't go to the NFL because he could make more money on his family's grain farm

But then why even bother playing in the CFL? That question he could not answer.

Ben Hennan chose to take up farming full time rather than come back to play in the CFL... but of course that was after he exhausted his NFL opportunities... realistically LaBatte could just have more desire to keep playing as long as he can... but I doubt he's choosing farming over NFL and playing in the CFL for fun...

Labatte would have never had much of a shot in NFL and doubt he ever had any serious interest shown in him..and the last few years has been just average if you ask me..and highly overrated. How he got an all-star nod is beyond me this year..

He just living off his name and past accolades, and even those I think were a bit undeserved..If he fell on our roster this year, he would not have upgraded our line anywhere with the starters we had, and I would have kept Couture over him as the 6th guy for what we asked Couture to do a lot of the time...Labatte is too slow and un-agile now to do what would have been asked..

1 hour ago, Booch said:

Labatte would have never had much of a shot in NFL and doubt he ever had any serious interest shown in him..and the last few years has been just average if you ask me..and highly overrated. How he got an all-star nod is beyond me this year..

A little bit of Sask. arse kissin' and schmoozing going on there I suspect...He wouldn't make our o line for sure.....done and done

1 hour ago, Booch said:

He just living off his name and past accolades, and even those I think were a bit undeserved..If he fell on our roster this year, he would not have upgraded our line anywhere with the starters we had, and I would have kept Couture over him as the 6th guy for what we asked Couture to do a lot of the time...Labatte is too slow and un-agile now to do what would have been asked..

The last two season Labatte has started at OG and been moved to Centre half way through the season in order to help O-line play, a position he hates playing apparently.  Pretty much spells the beginning of the end when a Guard or Tackle gets shuffled to Centre.