Bomber News: 2019 Off Season

Rich
Message added by Rich

For minor off-season Bomber news.  Any significant stories or news that is likely to generate significant discussion may have its own thread created.  General CFL news can be found here.

Wpg free agents

WINNIPEG BLUE BOMBERS

ALEXANDER, Brandon, I, DB, Central Florida,
BIGHILL, Adam, I, LB, Central Washington
BRIGGS, Jesse, N, LB, McGill

CHUNGH, Sukh, N, OL, Calgary
CORNEY, Trent, N, DL, Virginia
COUTURE, Michael, N, OL, Simon Fraser
DEMSKI, Nic, N, WR, Manitoba
DRESSLER, Weston, I, WR, North Dakota

DURANT, Darian, I, QB, North Carolina

FOGG, Kevin, I, DB, Liberty
GAUTHIER, Shayne, N, LB, Laval
GOOSSEN, Matthias, N, OL, Simon Fraser

HECHT, Jeff, N, DB, Saint Mary’s
JEFFCOAT, Jackson, I, DL, Texas
LAFRANCE, Kienan, N, RB, Manitoba
LANKFORD, Ryan, I, WR, Illinois
LEGGETT, Maurice, I, DB, Valdosta State
LOFFLER, Taylor, N, DB, UBC
MEDLOCK, Justin, I, K, UCLA
MILES, Thomas, N, LB, Manitoba
MILLER, Mike, N, FB, Acadia
MORGAN, Brendan, N, DB, Queen’s
NEVIS, Drake, I, DL, Louisiana State
OKPALAUGO, Tristan, I, DL, Fresno State
PLESIUS, Frederic, N, LB, Laval
REMPEL, Chad, N, LS, Saskatchewan
RENAUD, Frank, N, LB, Windsor
RUSH, John, N, LB, Guelph
SANTOS-KNOX, Jovan, I, LB, Massachusetts
THOMAS, Jake, N, DL, Acadia
TURNER, Bryant, I, DL, Alabama Birmingham,  Retired
WILD, Ian, I, LB, Mercyhurst College
WILSON, Kyrie, I, LB, Fresno State

Would be nice to keep Corney.

Edited by Mark F

37 minutes ago, Mark F said:

Wpg free agents

WINNIPEG BLUE BOMBERS

ALEXANDER, Brandon, I, DB, Central Florida,
BIGHILL, Adam, I, LB, Central Washington
BRIGGS, Jesse, N, LB, McGill

CHUNGH, Sukh, N, OL, Calgary
CORNEY, Trent, N, DL, Virginia
COUTURE, Michael, N, OL, Simon Fraser
DEMSKI, Nic, N, WR, Manitoba
DRESSLER, Weston, I, WR, North Dakota

DURANT, Darian, I, QB, North Carolina

FOGG, Kevin, I, DB, Liberty
GAUTHIER, Shayne, N, LB, Laval
GOOSSEN, Matthias, N, OL, Simon Fraser

HECHT, Jeff, N, DB, Saint Mary’s
JEFFCOAT, Jackson, I, DL, Texas
LAFRANCE, Kienan, N, RB, Manitoba
LANKFORD, Ryan, I, WR, Illinois
LEGGETT, Maurice, I, DB, Valdosta State
LOFFLER, Taylor, N, DB, UBC
MEDLOCK, Justin, I, K, UCLA
MILES, Thomas, N, LB, Manitoba
MILLER, Mike, N, FB, Acadia
MORGAN, Brendan, N, DB, Queen’s
NEVIS, Drake, I, DL, Louisiana State
OKPALAUGO, Tristan, I, DL, Fresno State
PLESIUS, Frederic, N, LB, Laval
REMPEL, Chad, N, LS, Saskatchewan
RENAUD, Frank, N, LB, Windsor
RUSH, John, N, LB, Guelph
SANTOS-KNOX, Jovan, I, LB, Massachusetts
THOMAS, Jake, N, DL, Acadia
TURNER, Bryant, I, DL, Alabama Birmingham,  Retired
WILD, Ian, I, LB, Mercyhurst College
WILSON, Kyrie, I, LB, Fresno State

Would be nice to keep Corney.

Corney is the name you pick out of that list?  LMFAO.

Alexander, Fogg, Jeffcoat, Medlock and Nevis are absolutely huge ones.

I’ve made peace that Bighill and Chungs are extremely likely to be headed home.

Edited by JuranBoldenRules

3 hours ago, Bigblue204 said:

Damn, those two along with Biggy being gone would be an absolute disaster.

This is the nature of the business of CFL teams- change is inevitable and players moving along is also inevitable. As Calgary has proven repeatedly, how well teams compensate determines success or failure.

Maybe someone else has a better memory than me. In fact likely most of you do...  I seem to remember some sort of new policy in the league where teams actually have to provide compensation when they hire an assistant coach who is under contract with another team... if so would we not be in line for compensation if Lapo gets a head coaching gig? 

7 minutes ago, Colin Unger said:

Maybe someone else has a better memory than me. In fact likely most of you do...  I seem to remember some sort of new policy in the league where teams actually have to provide compensation when they hire an assistant coach who is under contract with another team... if so would we not be in line for compensation if Lapo gets a head coaching gig? 

I believe so; however, it may be written into Lapo's contract that compensation is not required. I seem to remember (or, possibly, I'm making it up) that Lapo can leave for a HC gig, if offered. I wonder how if his contract would be structured in a way that would make it less of an obstruction for a new team to hire him? 

8 hours ago, JuranBoldenRules said:

Corney is the name you pick out of that list?  LMFAO.

Alexander, Fogg, Jeffcoat, Medlock and Nevis are absolutely huge ones.

I’ve made peace that Bighill and Chungs are extremely likely to be headed home.

I was thinking the same thing about the Corney comment!! 

We also know that Leggett is done with this team.

As far as compensation to a previous team for a coach that is under contract, that is normally discussed as part of the negotiations if discussions are above board. Tampering is verboten with sanctions which could include compensation. If Lapo has permission from the Bombers to talk to other teams, there should be no compensation unless that is what is agreed to by Lapos new bosses and the Blue. If there is no mention of it, no one gets the compensation. Anything is negotiable. 

1 hour ago, JCon said:

I believe so; however, it may be written into Lapo's contract that compensation is not required. I seem to remember (or, possibly, I'm making it up) that Lapo can leave for a HC gig, if offered. I wonder how if his contract would be structured in a way that would make it less of an obstruction for a new team to hire him? 

It seems like the Canadian Mafia are a lot nicer than their name suggests.  We always seem to get the short end of the stick when it comes to being ruthless.

12 hours ago, Colin Unger said:

It seems like the Canadian Mafia are a lot nicer than their name suggests.  We always seem to get the short end of the stick when it comes to being ruthless.

It was part of the agreement, I believe. LaPo was with TSN and it wasn't clear he even wanted to leave to be an OC again. LaPo was in a position of strength. 

On 2018-11-28 at 3:13 PM, Noeller said:

It's already by far the best in the league, with Neufeld in there. He was outstanding in 2018, AND stayed healthy, to boot....... The "Neufeld Sucks" line is old, tired and no longer relevant.

By far and I agree.. Neuf has long been dragged over the coals for his injury history but the last 2 years, the guy had been an absolute beast and workhorse.

On 2018-11-28 at 3:55 PM, Jpan85 said:

Under 30 Canadian starting all star caliber offensive dont move teams Chung and Goosen will be back.

99.95 percent of the time yup. Walter's knows their value as well so he wont let them walk..

On 2018-11-28 at 9:33 PM, Mark H. said:

Some guy in a Lloydminster hotel tried to tell me LaBatte could have made the NFL - but he wanted to stay in SK. 

That might be the funniest thing I've heard all year.. "ya screw millions of dollars.. I wanna stay here, freeze and smell this stink forever!"

And am I alone in thinking if Fogg walks, beyond having to find a DB to replace him, it wouldn't be that huge of a loss??

He was picked on lots.  he made some huge plays for us as well but he was the goat in a few games..

His punt returns were pretty uninspired as well.. hell Nelson was consistently getting longer returns against one of the best ST units around..

2 hours ago, SPuDS said:

His punt returns were pretty uninspired as well.. hell Nelson was consistently getting longer returns against one of the best ST units around..

I understand your frustration, but I'm always wary to crown a new KR/PR based on a small sample size... often teams just need a few games of film to figure out their tendencies, then thereafter are better at corralling the player...

As for getting picked on though - agree 100%.

Edited by Eternal optimist

33 minutes ago, TBURGESS said:

That's Nichols level praise right there.

4 minutes ago, Tracker said:

That's called "damning with faint praise"- like "for a fat person, you don't sweat very much".

I'm not defending Fogg. I was confident he would he would protect the ball but get no return. I would have preferred they move on from him much earlier in the season.