Bomber News: 2019 Off Season

Rich
Message added by Rich

For minor off-season Bomber news.  Any significant stories or news that is likely to generate significant discussion may have its own thread created.  General CFL news can be found here.

4 hours ago, rebusrankin said:

Let's get Chungh and Goossen under contract. Then you hope that Gray beats out Neufeld and Neufeld becomes your 6th OL. Of course, in the scenario, I'm also hoping that somebody tells Danny Mac and Co to get off their asses and find some receivers.

Yeah. So far he’s been better at finding defensive backs than receivers. Just like his playing days ;)

1 hour ago, Bigblue204 said:

I'd honestly feel better if they moved on from Couture. Neuf has proven himself to be very valuable. Not that couture hasnt, but not quite as much as neuf. Move on from couture, hopefully one of gray or spooner can take his spot.

Speller may have usurped Spooner, he's on the roster, Spooner is not.

16 hours ago, Floyd said:

It would be an awful strategy not to start Gray from day one... we're on a one year contract* - get him in the game, get him signed long-term

You don't throw an unproven commodity a starting role just like that; it's a reckless strategy.

*Gray signed a three-year deal in October (signed through 2020), meaning he has two years left on it.

1 minute ago, blue_gold_84 said:

You don't throw an unproven commodity a starting role just like that; it's a reckless strategy.

*Gray signed a three-year deal in October (signed through 2020), meaning he has two years left on it.

I think he has an opportunity to go to the NFL though. But, if he's not starting here, there is no way the NFL is coming for him. I believe his time down south is done. 

1 minute ago, MC said:

The big upside on Gray is that he could possibly be a starting Tackle.  We can find good Canadian interior linemen.  He becomes a ratio breaker if he can replace Hardrick. 

But how much more expensive is a Canadian O-Lineman than a Canadian in another position. It's great to have the flexibility but quality, American O-Linemen are cheap, relatively speaking. 

18 minutes ago, JCon said:

But how much more expensive is a Canadian O-Lineman than a Canadian in another position. It's great to have the flexibility but quality, American O-Linemen are cheap, relatively speaking. 

He is under contract for the next two years for the same amount whether he plays tackle or is the sixth offensive lineman.  And you have to pay a lot more for a starting Canadian receiver than a very good American there too.  We stacked our defense this year with 11 starting Americans and trusted Lapo to come up with the smoke and mirrors on offense.  We need to increase the number of game breakers on offense - and the quickest way is to add another American receiver as a starter and a change-of-pace offensive threat as a DI.  You can do the first part of that by going with 4 Canadian on the line.

55 minutes ago, JCon said:

The good ones cost the same.  Someone like Stanley Bryant wouldn’t cost any more at his peak if he’s Canadian, he’d just have a longer career because he’s Canadian and harder to replace.  The mediocre Canadian guys who can stick on rosters are the guys who are overpaid.

2 hours ago, Throw Long Bannatyne said:

I read somewhere Stanley Bryant is making around $200,000 per year, not much savings to be had there if true.

Oh, that's definitely true.  I would bet none of the O-lines in the league start a Canadian at left tackle on a regular basis

IIRC - the last one was Josh Bourke

2 minutes ago, Mark H. said:

Wimp refused to drink scotch. 

BTW - it was because Labatte could make more money on his family's farm. 

Was there an issue with his dirt track racing too? The Bombers didn't want him to race? I might be confusing this. 

39 minutes ago, JCon said:

Was there an issue with his dirt track racing too? The Bombers didn't want him to race? I might be confusing this. 

Don't know.  The guy said he didn't go to the NFL because he could make more money on his family's grain farm

But then why even bother playing in the CFL? That question he could not answer.

2 hours ago, Mark H. said:

Don't know.  The guy said he didn't go to the NFL because he could make more money on his family's grain farm

And here I thought all they had in southern Saskatchewan were gopher farms.

1 hour ago, Mark H. said:

Yep, if he was raking it in on the farm he wouldn't lower himself into doing those stupid Humpty's commercials.

Edited by Throw Long Bannatyne

Just now, SpeedFlex27 said:

Starting Canadian OL are the highest paid on the team.  

Right but how much more would Gray make than Hardrick, if he were a starting tackle? Would it be worth starting an extra Canadian lineman, if it meant get flexibility somewhere else or would it be too much more. Maybe it's a wash. 

1 minute ago, JCon said:

Right but how much more would Gray make than Hardrick, if he were a starting tackle? Would it be worth starting an extra Canadian lineman, if it meant get flexibility somewhere else or would it be too much more. Maybe it's a wash. 

Gray would probably make more than Hardrick in the long run. Most Canadian OL once they sign seem to stay with their teams while Americans can & do move from team to team a bit more. Any CFL team that has stud OL will pay them to keep them. I think they'd be considered a more valuable commodity.