Around the League: 2019 Off Season

SpeedFlex27
Message added by Rich

For minor off-season non-Bomber CFL news.  Any significant stories or news that is likely to generate significant discussion may have its own thread created. General Bomber news can be found here.

11 hours ago, 17to85 said:

if that's the road they're going down then time to do away with onfield refs and let the big man in the clouds handle everything. 

How would you expect that they would be able to "eye in the sky" real time from multiple angles?  I don't think it's possible.  You'd have to pause after every play so that all angles could be looked at, every thing slowed down so that nothing would get missed and then, games would double in length and because people are involved, mistakes would still happen.  When you look at the number of plays overall in a game and then look at the number of questionable calls, the zebras get it right the vast majority of the time.  So then,  we need the eye in the sky for those few times that the refs get it wrong or miss something egregious.  The only thing I find inexcusable is when the replay judge messes up because there's just no way that should happen.

I do agree that all these tweaks are just adding confusion for everyone; players and referees alike. 

Don't like refs calling intent. I doubt they will get it right most of the time.

More challenges = more fishing attempts late in games. Don't like that at all.

I like the 'Eye In The Sky' getting more involved, but I worry that it will slow the game down.

25 yard penalties? 2 majors and you're out? Yellow and Red cards for the soccer fans too?

Absolutely no need for QB giving themselves up whistle, just slide feet first. No need for any of the new kicking rules. Just unnecessary changes that make it more difficult for the refs and the average fan.

1 hour ago, rebusrankin said:

I don't trust the eye in the sky.

Well I trust them for the most part, the problem I have is that because it exists the refs stop trusting themselves and use the eye in the sky as a crutch. Would rather do away with all the reviews and just let human error be what it will be. 

2 hours ago, 17to85 said:

Well I trust them for the most part, the problem I have is that because it exists the refs stop trusting themselves and use the eye in the sky as a crutch. Would rather do away with all the reviews and just let human error be what it will be. 

That's a nice concept in fairy tale land where everyone lives happily ever after, but we all know fans will lose their collective $#!+ when it's their team on the end of a blown call in a big game, and they know technology exists to fix these mistakes and isn't being used. Ask any Sabres fan if they are over losing the Stanley Cup on Hull's foot foul? Or if England has forgotten Maradonna's "Hand of God". Or if Saints' fans would like a do-over on the missed PI call in the playoffs last year?

I don't mind the concept with the added challenge. It sucks to have to burn your challenge if the refs obviously miss something early in the game, and don't have it in the 4th on a 50/50 PI call. And if only goes from one gov two IF you get the first one right, it won't stall the game too much. What I could do without is the challenge for "illegal contact" halfway across the field from the play. I get the argument that any interference can disrupt the play, and maybe the QB was going to go that way before the infraction but had too look off it, but if 7 or 8 refs don't catch it in live action, then coaches shouldn't be able to hunt for an infraction. That's akin to challenging holding - if you look hard enough you'll find some kind of penalty on every play.

Maybe they should institute a penalty for an incorrect challenge, like a delay of game penalty, 10 yards, automatic first down if the defensive team gets it wrong, or 10 yards and loss of down for the offensive team.

Challenges shouldn't be used for 50/50 calls! They should only be for obvious mistakes. In which case, they could all be handled by the eye in the sky. (That would have fixed the Saints problem for sure)

Coaches will use as many challenges as they have. Just look at the mess we were in before the league took 'extra' challenges away.

Rod Pedersen:

Regina Minor Football boss Len Antonini is considered one of the country's leaders in minor football. I was with him Friday and posed the "ratio question". It took him an hour to make up his mind, so that tells you how much of a photo finish this issue is. He doesn't believe a ratio reduction is a bad thing but it's not because of the state of Canadian amateur football. Registration numbers are steady and concussions are WAY down in recent years. He's met with Ambrosie on all of these topics. Meanwhile Lenny says the Top 3 football-playing provinces in Canada are Saskatchewan, Quebec and Alberta, in no particular order.   

Edited by Mr Dee

5 hours ago, Mr Dee said:

Rod Pedersen:

Regina Minor Football boss Len Antonini is considered one of the country's leaders in minor football. I was with him Friday and posed the "ratio question". It took him an hour to make up his mind, so that tells you how much of a photo finish this issue is. He doesn't believe a ratio reduction is a bad thing but it's not because of the state of Canadian amateur football. Registration numbers are steady and concussions are WAY down in recent years. He's met with Ambrosie on all of these topics. Meanwhile Lenny says the Top 3 football-playing provinces in Canada are Saskatchewan, Quebec and Alberta, in no particular order.   

Nothing Pederson says is credible. Nothing. 

19 minutes ago, Colin Unger said:

I just have a hard time believing there are more football registrations in Saskatchewan than in Ontario. 

Yes, that would seem to be odd. But don’t forget the 3 letters o d d is prevalent all over the province from Dog River to Wullerton (spit). 

And remember, this is a Regina Minor league official who’s stating this...Pedersen is only reporting it.

The numbers may be off, but then again, it is Saskatchewan.

On 2019-03-23 at 9:08 AM, WBBFanWest said:

I'm struggling with the idea of a 25 yard penalty for more serious infractions.  Why not just eject the player and do the 15 yards.  If I guy risks losing a game day cheque, he might just think twice.

It's already a 25 yard penalty when player is ejected.

From the rule book:

Article 2 — Rough Play

A player shall be penalized and subject to disqualification for any act of rough play against an opponent, including but not limited to:

- striking an opponent with the fist, hand, knee or elbow in an excessively rough manner,
- kicking an opponent or,
- any other act of excessive roughness considered by the Referee to warrant disqualification.

PENALTY: L25 and disqualification of offending player

Edited by Jacquie

On ‎23‎/‎03‎/‎2019 at 3:35 PM, 17to85 said:

Yeah but fans collectively lose their **** even with reviews anyway. That's just what fans do. 

I agree, but reviews can fix mistakes on some occasions and give fans less opportunities to complain. I don’t think refs get too gun shy to make calls because of video review. I just dislike the concept of “if we can’t fix EVERYTHING, then we won’t do ANYTHING “. 

Edited by TrueBlue4ever

Why would any CFL team want a meaningless game from another league take place in their city in the middle of their season? 

This would happen in mid-August and would promote the NFL.  There is only so much sports entertainment money to go around.   If the Jets make another deep playoff run, the Bombers will again be in tight when it comes to walk-up crowd.  This would just take more of that away.

It seems like something that could be a big $$$$ coups for the Bombers, but as long as Sask doesn't get it (I'm spiteful and want them to have absolutely NOTHING...) I'm good...agreed that the size of Commonwealth makes sense...