Around the League: 2019 Off Season

SpeedFlex27
Message added by Rich

For minor off-season non-Bomber CFL news.  Any significant stories or news that is likely to generate significant discussion may have its own thread created. General Bomber news can be found here.

31 minutes ago, TBURGESS said:

If it's so easy and the Union will just take whatever they are given, then why wasn't it done and dusted in January? It would be better for all involved to go into free agency knowing what the SMS number will be.

I don't know. You should ask the CFLPA why they suggested starting in March.

If they were unhappy with the lack of negotiations, the CFLPA would be in the media saying so. The only thing they've said so far is they would like to start in March.

Edited by Bigblue204

7 minutes ago, Bigblue204 said:

Good, maybe you'll stop asking questions you know damn well no one here has the answers to.

5 minutes ago, TBURGESS said:

And maybe you'll stop making things up and pretending that they are 'reasons' things are happening.

You know it's the middle of the off-season when...

C'mon guys let's not devolve into rideresque behaviour. 😀😁😁

Edited by wanna-b-fanboy

17 minutes ago, wanna-b-fanboy said:

You know it's the middle of the off-season when...

C'mon guys let's not devolve into rideresque behaviour. 😀😁😁

Talking about Rider news: (From 3downnation)

Canadian defensive tackle and Rider draft pick David Onyemata has been arrested and issued a misdemeanour citation for illegal possession of marijuana according to a report by the New Orleans Advocate.

25 minutes ago, Floyd said:

Esks want BC to make an offer so they can beat it - I guess

If Reilly wants out then he's gone no matter what the Esks offer. If they lose Reilly they'll pursue Bo Levi Mitchell, I'd bet.  Hufnagel does not like to overpay for players in free agency so we'll see what happens, I guess.

I dont see how new G.M..new H.C..new D.C..new D.B coach is a march to continuity just because they promoted guys. If anything it's called settling or reserving yourself to the fact that you couldn't improve your staff.

Factor in possibly a new QB one of which is 99 percent again going to be settling for scraps..I dont see a whole lot of progression/positive things there.

Now if they resign Collaros..well theres some continuity..but continuity from the scraps they were forced to settle with last year

In my real life, I've negotiated many union contracts on behalf of my company.   Some have been here in Winnipeg, and some out in B.C.   Some negotiations dragged on for months, and some got settled quite quickly.    Generally speaking, if both sides come in with reasonable positions, and listen to each other's concerns, solutions can be found quickly.   At the end of the day, both parties have more in common than have in opposition to each other.    The difficulties lie when someone's ego takes over, or they dig in their heals to "win" the argument regardless of the long term result.   So long as they stay focused on the big picture of growing the game, attracting fans, and putting a quality product on the field, while remaining fiscally prudent, they will get it done.    If it boggs down into "More for me and less for you", then their will be problems.

Some of the best results, for both sides, have been reached in contracts that we've settled in 1-2 days.   It is folly to think that longer negotiations really achieve more in the long run.   That being said, each negotiation is unique, and I fully appreciate that there can be sticky issues that need to be resolved.