Around the League: 2019 Off Season

SpeedFlex27
Message added by Rich

For minor off-season non-Bomber CFL news.  Any significant stories or news that is likely to generate significant discussion may have its own thread created. General Bomber news can be found here.

6 hours ago, Arnold_Palmer said:

Bryan Burnham is the receiver we should be bringing in from free agency if we have the chance. Quietly one of the best receivers in the game. 

I feel like any of the top tier fa wrs would be a huge gain. I would have loved to see banks in plops offense.

8 hours ago, wbbfan said:

I feel like any of the top tier fa wrs would be a huge gain. I would have loved to see banks in plops offense.

Maybe this guy can sub for Banks.

Garrett Johnson
@_TeamG

Excited to announce that I have agreed to terms with the 

@Wpg_BlueBombers

thank you for this opportunity! #juice

https://youtu.be/sCRTcv2kk9A

47 minutes ago, Throw Long Bannatyne said:

Maybe this guy can sub for Banks.

Garrett Johnson
@_TeamG

Excited to announce that I have agreed to terms with the 

@Wpg_BlueBombers

thank you for this opportunity! #juice

https://youtu.be/sCRTcv2kk9A

Dudes got some nice speed and hands! Let's see if he can translate it to the CFL. 

14 minutes ago, Stickem said:

Very nice looking receiver....Great film clip but we've seen that before only to have them disappear after tc...We know what guys like Burnham can do in this league ... Johnson has his shot.....show me the money

"The Juice" looks quick and smooth, with the ability to find the holes in the defence. I would have preferred to have seen him go for more contested catches, though. Doesn't go down at the first contact, either.

18 minutes ago, Stickem said:

Very nice looking receiver....Great film clip but we've seen that before only to have them disappear after tc...We know what guys like Burnham can do in this league ... Johnson has his shot.....show me the money

this is an apt post.....you almost NEVER see someone step into the CFL and tear it up in their first year. It takes at least a year of seasoning before they're ready to go. A proven vet receiver, someone you know can get it done, makes way more sense. Still, always hope we can recruit SOMEONE that will eventually be ready one day...

42 minutes ago, Noeller said:

this is an apt post.....you almost NEVER see someone step into the CFL and tear it up in their first year. It takes at least a year of seasoning before they're ready to go. A proven vet receiver, someone you know can get it done, makes way more sense. Still, always hope we can recruit SOMEONE that will eventually be ready one day...

No evidence of him doing returns but that might be a logical place for him to start out.

Here is some more background info.

2016 - Junior

• Led the team in receptions with 39 for 585 yards
  • Also led the team in 2015 with 694 receiving yards, collecting 46 catches for two touchdowns, including a long of 39
  • Has caught a pass in 11 straight games
  • Has 107 career receptions for 1,550 yards, ranking him 8th on UK’s career receiving yards list ... Needs 111 more to tie Randall Cobb at No. 7 (1,661)
  • First player in school history with four games of at least 140 receiving yards
  • Became the 15th player in Kentucky history with at least 100 receptions in his career
  • Became the 13th player to reach 1,000 career receiving yards within his first 25 games played at Kentucky, the first to accomplish that feat since Javess Blue in 2014
  • Has five career 100-yard receiving games
  • Caught five passes for a career-high 164 yards and career-high-tying two touchdowns in the win over No. 11 Louisville
  • On UK’s first offensive play, he caught a 75-yard touchdown bomb, the longest catch of his career
  • Also had a 63-yard TD bomb in the second quarter, giving him 11 career catches of 40-plus yards
  • Opened the season with six catches for 143 receiving yards vs. Southern Miss, the second-most in a season opener in school history

2015 - Sophomore

• Led the team with 694 receiving yards, collecting 46 catches for two touchdowns, including a long of 39
  • Played in all 12 games with 11 starts, averaging 57.8 receiving yards per game
  • Of his 46 catches, 30 came as first-down grabs or touchdowns, a team high
  • Had two 100-yard games, a 119-yard, six-catch outing vs. No. 23 Missouri and a nine-catch, 160-yard performance vs. Auburn
  • Had a catch in all 12 games, with at least three catches in eight outings

2014 - Freshman

• Led UK’s frosh receivers in catches and yardage
  • Totaled 22 catches for 271 yards and two touchdowns
  • Earned SEC Freshman of the Week honors at Florida when he had six catches for 154 yards, including TD plays of 60 and 33 yards
  • The 154 yards is a UK freshman record
  • First UK freshman to have two scoring catches in a game since Randall Cobb in 2008

High School

• First-team all-state as a senior by The Associated Press
  • Ended senior season with 59 receptions for 1,421 yards and 24 touchdowns
  • A three-star recruit by Rivals, 247Sports.com, Scout and ESPN
  • Rivals ranked him the 96th-best player in the state of Florida and the 99th-best wide receiver in the nation
  • ESPN rated him the 84th-best prospect in Florida and 64th-best wide receiver in the nation
  • Great sophomore season with 58 receptions for 1,014 yards and 11 touchdowns and followed that with 49 receptions his junior season for 685 yards and seven touchdowns
  • Also rushed some in high school with nearly 500 yards rushing and seven rushing touchdowns
  • Named all-area his senior year by the Orlando Sentinel
  • Coached by Bob Head
  • Picked Kentucky after offers from Arizona, Boston College, Florida, Georgia Tech, Iowa State, Northwestern, South Florida and Vanderbilt

9 minutes ago, Noeller said:

Wow, the long time Eskimo goes to the bitter rival.

3 minutes ago, Noeller said:

Former #Riders coach Chris Jones was trying to land NCAA jobs, #Schooners gig https://3downnation.com/2019/01/28/former-riders-coach-chris-jones-was-trying-to-land-ncaa-jobs-schooners-gig/ … #CFL via @JDunk12

Some REALLY interesting stuff in here...

Nice find. The bit about the Schooners is quite surprising. It must really suck in Regina if he were willing to take an office gig way out in Halifax just to get out. ;)

4 minutes ago, JCon said:

Nice find. The bit about the Schooners is quite surprising. It must really suck in Regina if he were willing to take an office gig way out in Halifax just to get out. ;)

the best thing about this piece, is Dunk seemingly only posted it to make the point that Jones was desperate to get out of Riderville at any cost....had zero interest in being there. That oughta make some heads explode...

Just now, JCon said:

These are the kind of knee-jerk takes that give fan bases a bad name. There was nothing the Esks could do.

I think this shows how fans have misunderstood the cap on coaches & scouts as well as the slippery slope Maas is on with the fanbase in Edmonton. A prolonged losing streak next season probably will mean his job.

1 minute ago, SpeedFlex27 said:

I think this shows how fans have misunderstood the cap on coaches & scouts as well as the slippery slope Maas is on with the fanbase in Edmonton. A prolonged losing streak next season probably will mean his job.

Agreed. I forgot about the cap on coaches (number, not dollars) until today. I had to check the Bombers staff list just to be sure we still had space to add if we wanted to. 

I wish everything were laid out. Player and coach contracts. But, that's pretty selfish of me because I really don't need to know how much MOS, Lapo, Hall make. It doesn't really change anything but I like to know so I can play armchair GM. 

3 minutes ago, JCon said:

Agreed. I forgot about the cap on coaches (number, not dollars) until today. I had to check the Bombers staff list just to be sure we still had space to add if we wanted to. 

I wish everything were laid out. Player and coach contracts. But, that's pretty selfish of me because I really don't need to know how much MOS, Lapo, Hall make. It doesn't really change anything but I like to know so I can play armchair GM. 

I have read somewhere that LaPo is the highest paid coordinator in the CFL.

12 minutes ago, SpeedFlex27 said:

I have read somewhere that LaPo is the highest paid coordinator in the CFL.

That's my understanding. I would also imagine that MOS is on the bottom have of HCs, given his lack of experience and success (relative to others).