Around the League: 2019 Off Season

SpeedFlex27
Message added by Rich

For minor off-season non-Bomber CFL news.  Any significant stories or news that is likely to generate significant discussion may have its own thread created. General Bomber news can be found here.

So, the Riders finally got around to interviewing their internal Coaches, McAdoo and Dickenson...

I guess it took them a week to get permission to speak to them..

What happens if the designated Asst. Head Coach doesn’t get the position? 

I guess he pouts and holds a grudge. Precedent set, right? (At least according to some fan boards.)

And the Special Teams Coach? Will he no longer be special if they pass?

Too bad we couldn’t help them out eh? Too bad...

30 minutes ago, SpeedFlex27 said:

They either will or have interviewed Craig Dickenson. I heard they may interview Mike Benevides.  He would solve the problem of hiring a HC & DC in 1 position. Instead of hiring a guy like LaPo & a then a DC.

I said it earlier. The best decision for them at the moment is a HC with DC exp. Why get another OC as a HC unless they plan on letting the OC go. They cant have more than 11 coaches. Ohhh right....counting is difficult for them.

25 minutes ago, Bomber_fanaddict said:

I said it earlier. The best decision for them at the moment is a HC with DC exp. Why get another OC as a HC unless they plan on letting the OC go. They cant have more than 11 coaches. Ohhh right....counting is difficult for them.

Of course that was the logical & common sense thing to do. But it's the Riders. And if they can cause trouble on other teams coaching staffs then that is just what they do. 

On 2019-01-18 at 11:18 AM, BomberfanMKS said:

So here is the thing - WBB could argue that Durant modified the contract in a way that made the contract invalid by retiring before playing football.

Essentially the initial contract was - We pay you 70k on Jan 15, you come play football for us, during which we pay you an additional X dollars per year.
Durant modified the contract by retiring before playing - WBB pays me 70K on Jan 15, I retire before playing football for the club.

The problem for Durant is that contracts in Canadian law require that both parties receive consideration for a contract to be considered valid.  By modifying the contract and retiring before playing Durant has essentially made the contract invalid (WBB received no consideration in return for his signing bonus).  The only thing Durant could argue is that WBB received his not playing for another team in return for 70K.)

The consideration for Durant was he signed the contract. By definition in contractural law the signing of the contract fullfiled the one and only condition of a “ signing bonus”.

1 hour ago, SpeedFlex27 said:

Of course that was the logical & common sense thing to do. But it's the Riders. And if they can cause trouble on other teams coaching staffs then that is just what they do. 

And now RF.com has reports of some secret handshake between Lapo and Wade/Kyle that he could go for the interview and then they denied the interview.....

Apparently it was on Sportscage. Who is making this **** up or is there any actual merit to this. 

10 hours ago, Bomber_fanaddict said:

And now RF.com has reports of some secret handshake between Lapo and Wade/Kyle that he could go for the interview and then they denied the interview.....

Apparently it was on Sportscage. Who is making this **** up or is there any actual merit to this. 

This is what happens when you get an owner of a forum like CRF who lets the tail wag the dog. His moderators, RS and VoR among others run that website and bully all others into submission. Toe the line of what they believe and you are OK, those who dissent from the fiction they create get banned. It's a travesty really. CRF is a good guy but he has completely lost sight of what and how his moderation itself behaves. Stronson makes up half of what he is saying, says he has a secret source, and anyone who questions it is banned. Too funny. For the life of me I can't understand why any level headed Rider fan would put up with that crap. I guess it's because it's the only Rider forum, so what choice do they got. One day someone will start a 2nd Rider forum and it won't be long before Stronson, BSD, VoR and the other football insider wannabees are posting by themselves at a near dead forum.

I am sure CRF and those that control his forum will laugh when he reads this, as he is lurker on this forum, but I would recommend he talk to Colin Unger about how quickly an entrenched and busy fan forum can fall off the rails.

Edited by gcn11

This is totally out the WWE-CFL playbook. A total swerve. A screw job. The Canadian Mafia striking again! First, they influence the refs, now they turn heel on the Priders. What a script!

3 minutes ago, JCon said:

This is totally out the WWE-CFL playbook. A total swerve. A screw job. The Canadian Mafia striking again! First, they influence the refs, now they turn heel on the Priders. What a script!

Have you ever listened to the Green Zone....remarkable how devoid of facts they are. It's why they are on a radio station in the butthole of Canada.

I stand by my speculation that Walters and O'Shea put themselves out there as the bad guys so that LaPolice would not be seen as refusing to go for a head coach interview in that steaming mess in Regina. That would be a class move by Bomber brass to save LaPolice's rep.

Trying to figure out what the take away is here?...

A fan base playing the victim, then doubling down on second hand tweet to inflate that victimhood then fantasize about how this imagined injustice could be compensated has got to be the most bizarre way to pump the tires of your team.

Not a great look, Priders.

Edited by Zontar

20 minutes ago, Tracker said:

I stand by my speculation that Walters and O'Shea put themselves out there as the bad guys so that LaPolice would not be seen as refusing to go for a head coach interview in that steaming mess in Regina. That would be a class move by Bomber brass to save LaPolice's rep.

I actually believe Lapo really did want that job. He owns a home in Regina, and (for some reason) really enjoys working there. I truly believe he was really angry, but I also believe he's a true pro and is back to being excited about the upcoming season. He was posting some really nice stuff on Twitter yesterday about how great it was to have Mike Couture back in the fold this year...

The Riders first two HC choices to interview were both OC's, likely because their problem last year was all on the offense. Lack of scoring. Lack of drives. Getting just enough out of their offense to win games. Yes that means paying 2 OC's for the year, but that's better than sucking on offense for another year.

3 minutes ago, TBURGESS said:

The Riders first two HC choices to interview were both OC's, likely because their problem last year was all on the offense. Lack of scoring. Lack of drives. Getting just enough out of their offense to win games. Yes that means paying 2 OC's for the year, but that's better than sucking on offense for another year.

having a quality OC would actually help them attract a QB in FA, which I think is their primary goal...without a proper QB, it really doesn't matter who the OC is.

19 minutes ago, Noeller said:

having a quality OC would actually help them attract a QB in FA, which I think is their primary goal...without a proper QB, it really doesn't matter who the OC is.

About the only thing that Jones did very well was being a brilliant DC. He was an average HC, and below average GM. Without him their that defence falls to middle of the pack in the league. Without HUGE offensive improvement they are not a playoff team this year. They all know it too, Rider fans won't admit that they look to be basement dwellers if they don't hit a home run in HC and QB recruitment, but their angst over the whole Lapo things proves they are hiding a huge amount of worry over the coming season.

Lapo has been around long enough to know how this game is played.  Especially given the coaching cap and the amount of damage his knowledge could provide, with him on another team, this year.  

Paul is a pro...... he is not going to cut off his nose to spite his face, in terms of his reputation (publicly sulking or anything that would prevent from putting the best O on the field).... no matter whatever Rider fan fantasies are out there. 

25 minutes ago, gcn11 said:

About the only thing that Jones did very well was being a brilliant DC. He was an average HC, and below average GM. Without him their that defence falls to middle of the pack in the league. Without HUGE offensive improvement they are not a playoff team this year. They all know it too, Rider fans won't admit that they look to be basement dwellers if they don't hit a home run in HC and QB recruitment, but their angst over the whole Lapo things proves they are hiding a huge amount of worry over the coming season.

Yeah Jones is a good DC...That being said a lot of what they did last year was luck based as well and even if he was back, would not have been duplicated...I think he was a below average HC and a horrible GM and was a huge reason for that unbalanced line-up...all eggs thrown into defense and even then thin depth as most of year played without an extra DB and inadequate depth behind the dline that was raking in about 500kplus a year of their SMS

41 minutes ago, 17to85 said:

One could argue that he signed the contract in bad faith. 

Argue all you want....Again it was literally a bonus to sign. Part of the reason that bonus clause was instituted was it gave import players a preferred reduced tax rate as an incentive to play in Canada. If you write in a conditional clause as a report and pass the medical as protection against the no shows it is not taxed at the preferred rate....hence the players desire for the signing bonus. 

I assume LaPo is making close to $300,000 as the highest paid coordinator in the league, under the new coaches salary cap how much more could the Riders afford to pay him, $400,000?  For that pay increase it does not seem wise to step into a fevered hornet's nest where the end result will most likely lead to an eventual firing to add to his resume.  I can understand but question if his desire to be a H.C. is more important than anything else in his life and he has unfailing confidence in his ability to perform miracles without a solid QB.  As it stands he gets to continue his work with the highest scoring offence in the league, push for a legitimate shot at a G.C. and go home every night to his 3 young kids and wife.  You won Paul, you won.