Around the League: 2019 Off Season

SpeedFlex27
Message added by Rich

For minor off-season non-Bomber CFL news.  Any significant stories or news that is likely to generate significant discussion may have its own thread created. General Bomber news can be found here.

i believe if you leave a team like he did...with a year on a contract....you belong to that team if you decide to un-retire down the road and still owe them that year...thats how it used to be.

If you didn't have that then if a guys was unhappy with a team and wanted to leave he would just sit out and then go wherever he wanted...I could be wrong and things changed now but I would think it's still the same

15 hours ago, Noeller said:

“I’ll leave that up to the fans. Let’s do a poll and see how they feel about it and we’ll go from there, Durant said on CJME 980 The Green Zone hosted by Jaime Nye.

“We’ll see how that goes. I know that there are a lot of people that would love me.”

https://3downnation.com/2019/01/17/darian-durant-on-possible-riders-return-a-lot-of-people-would-love-me/

wow... this is almost so pathetic.... it's impressive... I'm sure Kerry Joseph is available somewhere too...

14 hours ago, SpeedFlex27 said:

Apparently from what I've seen on twitter, Pederson has been hired as an on air sports personality at the Fan 960 here in Calgary which will probably go over like a lead balloon as he has criticized both Stamps fans & the players for years. 

That would be amazing if he became a homer shill for the Stamps... just imagining how much the rider fans would lose it makes me happy...

It;s fun to rip on Jones and the Riders for the way this all went down... but the more I think about it, and after hearing Dave Naylor explain it... I don't blame Jones for the move he made... According to Naylor, the situation developed quickly: the Browns requested the interview Monday morning and he was hired by Tuesday afternoon... so when he signed the extension, he had no idea (apparently) that this job might be coming... and the club did agree to give him an out for an NFL opportunity... so really you can;t blame Jones for taking a chance to jump at the NFL... you never know when that opportunity might come again...

My only skepticism might be if he had been speaking to the Browns and knew something could potentially come about.. and didn't tell the Riders... and still signed the extension... that would be a dirtbag* douchebag move...

*if you're a fan of Brooklyn 99... you'll know that "dirtbag" is actually a compliment...

1 minute ago, bearpants said:

It;s fun to rip on Jones and the Riders for the way this all went down... but the more I think about it, and after hearing Dave Naylor explain it... I don't blame Jones for the move he made... According to Naylor, the situation developed quickly: the Browns requested the interview Monday morning and he was hired by Tuesday afternoon... so when he signed the extension, he had no idea (apparently) that this job might be coming... and the club did agree to give him an out for an NFL opportunity... so really you can;t blame Jones for taking a chance to jump at the NFL... you never know when that opportunity might come again...

My only skepticism might be if he had been speaking to the Browns and knew something could potentially come about.. and didn't tell the Riders... and still signed the extension... that would be a dirtbag* douchebag move...

*if you're a fan of Brooklyn 99... you'll know that "dirtbag" is actually a compliment...

I think you're missing the point.  We're called to rip on all thing Riders all the time.  Because of Riderfans, it's our job to maintain  balance in the force.  Think of us as the Jedi of the CFL fanbase.  Get with the program!

Things don't happen that fast...and you know damn well Jones had an idea, or knew he had an opportunity, but under his current deal couldn't take advantage of it...some reports say they asked permission on the saturday as well.

Regardless of what spin Jones tries to put on it who can really believe him based on his past track record of bolting, and his caught red-handed several times trying to circumvent league rules, and lack of truthfulness.

He was just looking out for himself like he always did, and I bet this position that was created will be yanked away just as quickly as it appeared..then he is back looking for work

Durant is still officially under contract to us....He signed it and we gave him a bonus...70 G's... He bailed and fled with the cash..Seems to me the way to his return is pay us the bonus money back...(maybe a little interest) and continue on....He either pays it or the club that wants to sign him can pay back the money he ripped off....otherwise he sits..I'm sure the commish knows the details

58 minutes ago, bearpants said:

Nice try but Jones was not hired by the Browns organization but his buddy Freddy Kitchens who was hired as the Browns H.C. on Jan. 12th, it may not have been a sure thing that Kitchens would get the job but chances are he had discussions with Jones about the matter prior to that date.  If there was any chance of leaving Jones should have rightfully delayed signing his contract extension and those of his coordinators until the door was officially closed.  This did not come out of the blue as many Rider supporters are claiming.

Edited by Throw Long Bannatyne

11 hours ago, DR. CFL said:

Durant got a signing bonus....there are no conditions as they relate to it.....it is as stated a bonus for signing his name only. The issue as to whether he was suspended is that a player can only remain suspended until the date of free agency.

So here is the thing - WBB could argue that Durant modified the contract in a way that made the contract invalid by retiring before playing football.

Essentially the initial contract was - We pay you 70k on Jan 15, you come play football for us, during which we pay you an additional X dollars per year.
Durant modified the contract by retiring before playing - WBB pays me 70K on Jan 15, I retire before playing football for the club.

The problem for Durant is that contracts in Canadian law require that both parties receive consideration for a contract to be considered valid.  By modifying the contract and retiring before playing Durant has essentially made the contract invalid (WBB received no consideration in return for his signing bonus).  The only thing Durant could argue is that WBB received his not playing for another team in return for 70K.)

1 hour ago, bearpants said:

You think he put that out clause in there on a whim? Guy knew damned well there was a possibility of going to the NFL and he hedged his bets.