Around the League: 2019 Off Season

SpeedFlex27
Message added by Rich

For minor off-season non-Bomber CFL news.  Any significant stories or news that is likely to generate significant discussion may have its own thread created. General Bomber news can be found here.

18 minutes ago, Brandon said:

I'm really curious to see how much of a factor Jones was on the Saskatchewan defense.   They seemed to have played way above their heads and if they come back down to earth then yikes it could get ugly in Riderville. 

I'd love to see them go 3-15 with numerous crushing losses including a 77-0 loss in the Banjo Bowl.

1 minute ago, rebusrankin said:

I'd love to see them go 3-15 with numerous crushing losses including a 77-0 loss in the Banjo Bowl.

Every year I say I want to see them go 0-18 and that would STILL be too good for that babbling rabble in the Gap... 

30 minutes ago, Brandon said:

I'm really curious to see how much of a factor Jones was on the Saskatchewan defense.   They seemed to have played way above their heads and if they come back down to earth then yikes it could get ugly in Riderville. 

I was going to say this earlier.

They lost the best thing he brought to the table, defensive coordinator.

The game planning and in game adjustment on D  seems likely to take a hit.

11 minutes ago, Brandon said:

I don't want them to be winless,  but it would be nice if they were humbled by the Blue and collect only a few wins against the East teams. 

Throw in a full season of their typical off-field stuff (bar fights, drug charges, getting busted having secret rosters, etc) and I'm good with that!

19 hours ago, Atomic said:

Wouldn't get too comfortable. The team is not folding any time soon but last I heard, season tickets are down about 3000 compared to this time last year. Between 17k and 18k now.

Are you sure that figure is accurate? I was told we were in the 21-22k range right now.

26 minutes ago, Geebrr said:

Pretty sure he is talking about Ottawa.

Hmm idk unless i am reading it wrong too i think he is talking about the Blue Bombers.. forget see above post 

Edited by bb1

Not a bad article from....Paul Friesen.

The Canadian-import player ratio is getting a tweak in the new collective bargaining agreement ratified by the CFL and the players union on Wednesday.

It’ll take effect in the 2020 season.

That’ll give coaches and GMs some time to get their heads wrapped around it — and they’ll need it.

Bombers Chad Rempel described the new rule as a way for veteran Americans to become, essentially, non-imports.

Those who qualify have to be with the same team for three years, or in the CFL for four.

But the rule requiring each team to start seven natural Canadians remains in effect. Teams will have the option of adding three qualifying Americans, for a total of 10 “non-import” spots.

Those qualifying American players may also be backups who go into a game to replace injured starting Canadians. Until now, teams had to have a Canadian backup to replace a Canadian starter.

“So it provides more depth,” Rempel said. “When there is an injury, you’re not required to just replace a Canadian with a Canadian. It can be basically anybody. So the quality of play should go up. You’re not handcuffing GM’s.”

We’re continuing to work on the language around that to make sure it’s not abused.”

https://winnipegsun.com/sports/football/cfl/winnipeg-bluebombers/cfl-to-try-veteran-american-ratio#click=https://t.co/4Mh9G0rdB5

4 hours ago, Mr Dee said:

Not a bad article from....Paul Friesen.

The Canadian-import player ratio is getting a tweak in the new collective bargaining agreement ratified by the CFL and the players union on Wednesday.

It’ll take effect in the 2020 season.

That’ll give coaches and GMs some time to get their heads wrapped around it — and they’ll need it.

Bombers Chad Rempel described the new rule as a way for veteran Americans to become, essentially, non-imports.

Those who qualify have to be with the same team for three years, or in the CFL for four.

But the rule requiring each team to start seven natural Canadians remains in effect. Teams will have the option of adding three qualifying Americans, for a total of 10 “non-import” spots.

Those qualifying American players may also be backups who go into a game to replace injured starting Canadians. Until now, teams had to have a Canadian backup to replace a Canadian starter.

“So it provides more depth,” Rempel said. “When there is an injury, you’re not required to just replace a Canadian with a Canadian. It can be basically anybody. So the quality of play should go up. You’re not handcuffing GM’s.”

We’re continuing to work on the language around that to make sure it’s not abused.”

https://winnipegsun.com/sports/football/cfl/winnipeg-bluebombers/cfl-to-try-veteran-american-ratio#click=https://t.co/4Mh9G0rdB5

I thought the rulel was wacky at first, but having more options to replace injured Canadian starters in game is always a nice option.. 

I mean we probably didn’t have enough OL dressed regardless of the ratio, but I’ll never forget Jon Osterhoust(spelling?) spending a half at OL against Montreal.. 

Edited by Blueandgold

Interesting note out of Esks camp that Travis Bond was playing RT.......

Tough training camp session for the #Eskimos today. Two RB's went down in Shaq Cooper and Martese Jackson. Off-day today for OL Sir Vincent Rogers, OL Colin Kelly, and DB Arjen Colquhoun. Travis Bond was working at RT and held his own. Onyeka at wide-corner played well. #CFL

49 minutes ago, Noeller said:

Interesting note out of Esks camp that Travis Bond was playing RT.......

Tough training camp session for the #Eskimos today. Two RB's went down in Shaq Cooper and Martese Jackson. Off-day today for OL Sir Vincent Rogers, OL Colin Kelly, and DB Arjen Colquhoun. Travis Bond was working at RT and held his own. Onyeka at wide-corner played well. #CFL

Didn't we try that here and it went not so swell?