Around the League: 2019 Off Season

SpeedFlex27
Message added by Rich

For minor off-season non-Bomber CFL news.  Any significant stories or news that is likely to generate significant discussion may have its own thread created. General Bomber news can be found here.

As seen last yr..he got concussed twice on relatively pedestrian hits..2015 Collaros is a loooong way from 2019 Collaros..also factoring in 2015 Collaros had a lot more to play with as well.

He was a healthy and motivated guy last year as well they trumpeted out there..and how did that pan out? 9 tds vs 13 picks..and dont let the 10-4 record as a starter fool u..5 or 6 of the wins because of the defence/st scoring TD's where the margin of victory was by a td or less..so proof is in puddin..he's not the guy..and these nothing behind him either

4 hours ago, Mr Dee said:

Closing off the the off season - 

- #Argos sign former #Riders No. 1 pick, Canadian OL Josiah St. John. 

- “It's more tempo, more speed, and I think the biggest difference is that really everyone on this team and everyone here is a true professional,” international player, Max Zimmerman.

- bold statement of the year so far: Belton Johnson: Excited to have renewed contract w/ @GreenZoneSK as CFL analyst. On that note, I predict Zack Collaros to be named MOP this season despite throwing 2 interceptions today at practice and zero concussions this season! 

- Mike O’Shea said the spend the day going over their roster and may make changes yet..

- yet another bold statement courtesy of Rod Pedersen: And a healthy, motivated Zach Collaros makes the Saskatchewan Roughriders a formidable threat. Folks, the Riders would've beaten the Winnipeg Blue Bombers in last year's WSF if Collaros was playing. That's a fact. But if/when he gets hurt this year, the Riders' season goes south fast.

- good marketing - Fans in the lower mainland of B.C. received personalized, autographed postcards from Mike Reilly and the B.C. Lions this spring. They came in the mail and B.C. fans sent me photos of them. The fans were thrilled! 

- Bold statement #3 - I like what the Als did this off-season... could surprise some people by hosting a playoff game this year 🤔 Nik Kowalski - lastwordonCFL

- “At the end of this season, Streveler will need a new contract, and if the Bombers believe he’s their guy going forward, Nichols’ window of popportunity in Winnipeg could well be closing.”

“He’s clearly aware of that fact and that might be why we saw a leaner, fitter-looking Nichols tossing the ball around while the Bombers held their final rookie camp session on Friday.” - Ted Wyman, Winnipeg Sun

Pederson is clearly off his meds again.

Is this the first cap casualty so far?

The Toronto Argonauts have released Canadian offensive tackle Chris Zeyl just before he was set to receive a $40,000 report and pass bonus.

The 35-year-old, who played 10 seasons with the Argos, was one of the highest paid offensive linemen in the league. Van Zeyl was earning in the neighbourhood of $230,000 a season on the three-year contract extension he signed in January of 2017.

https://3downnation.com/2019/05/18/argos-release-van-zeyl-avoid-40k-report-and-pass-bonus/

26 minutes ago, Zontar said:

Don't see that anymore in him. Yes, people mature but he seems , dunno, like he's had the crap kicked out of him spiritually.

He he has the crap kicked out of him physically. It takes a toll on everyone. Seen it a million times it feels like over the years here.

1 hour ago, Tracker said:

Pederson is clearly off his meds again.

How he ranks sask where he does is bizzare to say the least. Looking at MTL depth chart the other day they have a better all around roster..especially  on offence...they may surprise this yr..I bet they wont be that bad

14 minutes ago, JuranBoldenRules said:

Problem is QB.

Had to go to their roster page to check out who they got right now and I am struggling to come up with a frontrunner for the job. Worst QB situation in the league by a mile.

I actually like Vernon Adams but damn... I wouldn't go into the season counting on him as the starter. And I feel like they are probably leaning towards Pipkin which I am almost positive would be a disaster.

Honestly I think Jeff Mathews might be the best QB they have but I don't see that happening.

He has a good running back..I love Standback and they have nice receivers and picked up 2 quality NI ones in the draft.. also their Oline isnt swiss cheese..I think if pipkin plays within himself..he could develop nicely..he seems to be a bit more intelligent on the field than Jennings and also has better work ethic

On 2019-05-18 at 8:35 PM, Atomic said:

Had to go to their roster page to check out who they got right now and I am struggling to come up with a frontrunner for the job. Worst QB situation in the league by a mile.

I actually like Vernon Adams but damn... I wouldn't go into the season counting on him as the starter. And I feel like they are probably leaning towards Pipkin which I am almost positive would be a disaster.

Honestly I think Jeff Mathews might be the best QB they have but I don't see that happening.

If Mathews turns out to be their best QB...they won't win a game this year. 

1 hour ago, Noeller said:

Man, I rewatched that WSF recently and it was a little dicey. That game was WAYYYY closer than it should've been and there was a reviewed TD for us that was big time iffy. That game was not domination by us... 

Agreed. At no time during that game did I feel that we were running away with it.

25 minutes ago, Tracker said:

Agreed. At no time during that game did I feel that we were running away with it.

that being said, we said going into the game don't turn the ball over the riders can't beat you, and that was the focus. At no point did I ever really feel like the Riders were going to actually win that game with their offense.

CFL.ca highlights just 15 of the many position battles to keep an eye on this training camp:

1) QUARTERBACK, OTTAWA

In the running: Dominique Davis, Jonathon Jennings

The favourite: Flip a coin

2. QUARTERBACK, MONTREAL

In the running: Antonio Pipkin, Vernon Adams Jr., Jeff Mathews, Matthew Shiltz

The favourite: Antonio Pipkin

3. LINEBACKER, CALGARY

In the running: Cory Greenwood, Riley Jones, Wynton McManis, Jerod Fernandez, Anthony Gore, Nate Holley, Dwayne Norman, Travis Wilson, Eric Mezzalira

The favourites: Wynton McManis, Cory Greenwood

4. RUNNING BACK, HAMILTON

In the running: Cameron Marshall, Sean Thomas-Erlington, Jackson Bennett, Maleek Irons, Ray Lawry III, Martez Carter

The favourite: Cameron Marshall

5. RECEIVER, EDMONTON

In the running: Bryce Bobo, Tevaun Smith, Natey Adjei, Kevin Elliott, Torrance Gibson, Miles Shuler, Kenny Stafford, Joshua Stangby

The favourites: It’s wide open

6. KICKER, TORONTO

In the running: Drew Brown, Zackary Medeiros, Ronnie Pfeffer, Tyer Crapigna, Donald De La Haye

The favourite: Tyler Crapigna

7. INTERIOR OFFENSIVE LINE, WINNIPEG

In the running: Michael Couture, Geoff Gray, Cody Speller, Drew Desjarlais, Patrick Neufeld

The favourites: Michael Couture, Geoff Gray, Patrick Neufeld

8. RUNNING BACK, BC

In the running: John White, Brandon Rutley, Shaun Wick, Jamel Lyles, Wayne Moore

The favourite: John White

9. OFFENSIVE LINE, SASKATCHEWAN

In the running: Dariusz Bladek, Philip Blake, Thaddeus Coleman, Dakoda Shepley, Terran Vaughn, Takoby Cofield, E.J. Price

The favourites: It’s wide open

10. LINEBACKER, TORONTO

In the running: Justin Herdman-Reed, Akeem Jordan, Nelkas Kwemo, Ian Wild

The favourite: Akeem Jordan

11. DEFENSIVE END, BC

In the running: Darius Allen, Matt Boesen, Meffy Koloamatangi, Vantrel McMillan, Ebenezer Ogundeko

The favourite: It’s wide open

12. DEFENSIVE TACKLE, CALGARY

In the running: Derek Wiggan, Ese Mrabure, Mike Rose, Darnell Thompson, Junior Turner, Vincent Desjardins

The favourites: Derek Wiggan, Mike Rose

13. LINEBACKER, WINNIPEG

In the running: Nick Temple, Dale Warren, Kyrie Wilson

The favourite: Kyrie Wilson

14. RUNNING BACK, EDMONTON

In the running: C.J. Gable, Shaq Cooper, Jordan Robinson, Alex Taylor

The favourite: C.J. Gable

15. OFFENSIVE LINE, OTTAWA

In the running: Philippe Gagnon, Evan Johnson, Mark Korte, Andrew Pickett, Alex Fontana

The favourite: Evan Johnson

The reasoning?  Here’s the article:

https://www.cfl.ca/2019/05/20/position-battles-15-watch-training-camp/?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter