Around the League: 2019 Off Season

SpeedFlex27
Message added by Rich

For minor off-season non-Bomber CFL news.  Any significant stories or news that is likely to generate significant discussion may have its own thread created. General Bomber news can be found here.

1 minute ago, Floyd said:

You get to start less rookie Americans...  seems like a fair trade

The combination of an incentive for american vets starting and rookies becoming more expensive should really lead to more continuity.  Guys like Fenner must be pleased.

19 minutes ago, Mike said:

i want to hear more about this thing about an incentive to starting veteran Americans.

I was told by a player(who is very knowledgeable in the negotiations)this morning that the league is wanting to make any American player who has been in the league for over 3 years count as a Canadian for the ratio.  He said this will directly make 9 Americans on the bombers as nationals right off the hop. 

2 minutes ago, Albertabomberguy said:

I was told by a player(who is very knowledgeable in the negotiations)this morning that the league is wanting to make any American player who has been in the league for over 3 years count as a Canadian for the ratio.  He said this will directly make 9 Americans on the bombers as nationals right off the hop. 

I would hope that it would have to be 3 years with the same team.  Or else this is a bit nuts. 

Edited by Colin Unger

Just now, Colin Unger said:

Ok.. And what happens if a bunch of them get injured?  And how exactly is the Canadian QB in the ratio?  Im assuming they have to actually be on the field to provide any ratio benefits?

I would imagine you either get a fine or sign some cast off to roster for the ratio. We've seen worse nucks dredged up in the past for ratio then this will cause to be recirculated. 

I would think either, a NI starting qb now counts to the ratio (which is tough) maybe a back up NI qb will give you an extra DI (thatd be awesome) 

2 minutes ago, wbbfan said:

I would imagine you either get a fine or sign some cast off to roster for the ratio. We've seen worse nucks dredged up in the past for ratio then this will cause to be recirculated. 

I would think either, a NI starting qb now counts to the ratio (which is tough) maybe a back up NI qb will give you an extra DI (thatd be awesome) 

The problem with rewarding teams for having a Canadian backup is with 3 qbs on the roster every team is going to dress the equipment managers as the 3rd string qb.  It should be a case where if you play a Canadain qb while he is in the game you can insert a DI for a different Canadian.

Just now, Colin Unger said:

The problem with rewarding teams for having a Canadian backup is with 3 qbs on the roster every team is going to dress the equipment managers as the 3rd string qb.  It should be a case where if you play a Canadain qb while he is in the game you can insert a DI for a different Canadian.

Weve seen teams down to 3rd string too frequently for that imo. Itd be a calculated risk. And yes I think several teams would take the chance. And I dont think thats bad. The 3rd qb would probably be the holder too. 

I think thatd be a great idea. Counting a starting NI qb to the ratio isnt going to see a spree of NI qbs, youd need a strong back up ni qb too. And the league just doesnt have those. 

3 minutes ago, Colin Unger said:

Or maybe CDN QBs will develop into starters eventually... and teams will actually put time and effort into that instead of just trying to skirt the rules...  hmm.

3 minutes ago, AKAChip said:

Let’s make it harder for young players to break into the league than it already is. 

Yeah its interesting. Most leagues like this (like minor and un affiliated baseball) cap how many vets you can have to keep new talent flowing into the league and getting a chance. I hope that min imp vet thing has a hard cap for cap saving. 

1 hour ago, WBBFanWest said:

So, you'd rather not have skill be the deciding factor.   I'd rather a guy get beat because the next guy was better, not "good enough and cheaper"

This league is already extremely veteran heavy. Most teams will start more than enough veterans even without this rule. It’s just stupid that a guy may get a spot solely because he’s a veteran. If that comes into play even once, it’s a stupid rule. 

Edited by AKAChip