Around the League: 2019 Off Season

SpeedFlex27
Message added by Rich

For minor off-season non-Bomber CFL news.  Any significant stories or news that is likely to generate significant discussion may have its own thread created. General Bomber news can be found here.

12 hours ago, lyin' guy said:

Where? 

Defence and depth are massive question marks for you guys this year. Reminds me a lot of the 2018 Eskimos. I think you will finish anywhere from 2nd to 4th in the West. I do like your team more than the Riders or Eskimos right now.

Edited by gcn11

19 hours ago, Bomber_fanaddict said:

And weren't we ridiculed for signing Medlock to a large contract? A guy who actually puts up a ton of points on the board?

If Ryan could punt and kick field goals on top of being Canadian he would be worth $100k.

If Ryan could kick FGs even at 80-85%... he'd be worth 200k...

18 hours ago, Booch said:

Thing with Medlock is he is absorbing two salaries with his one salary being able to do all 3 facets of the kicking game..and as being one of the best at it...he is making basically a very modest salary at each when you break it down, so really we are saving money when you look at it

I believe it was reported he was making around 175k... so the way I always look at it is we're paying around 75k for an average punter and around 100k for the most accurate FG kicker in the league... seems like a good deal to me...

5 minutes ago, bearpants said:

If Ryan could kick FGs even at 80-85%... he'd be worth 200k...

I believe it was reported he was making around 175k... so the way I always look at it is we're paying around 75k for an average punter and around 100k for the most accurate FG kicker in the league... seems like a good deal to me...

I think you are referring to numbers in his original contract...he took a shave last year and I believe for this year he is under 160k...either way though...good value none the less for a guy who is tiops in his league at his position taking 2 jobs

1 hour ago, gcn11 said:

Defence and depth are massive question marks for you guys this year. Reminds me a lot of the 2018 Eskimos. I think you will finish anywhere from 2nd to 4th in the West. I do like your team more than the Riders or Eskimos right now.

They are massive question marks about depth everywhere for every team in May 

8 minutes ago, Geebrr said:

You also have a mostly new coaching staff.

I'm not sure that's got much to do with anything. ClayBrooks and Stubler are not rookies. I'm not keen on Jarious Jackson, but I'll give him 1 more year with a solid offence to see what he can do  

1 minute ago, lyin' guy said:

I'm not sure that's got much to do with anything. ClayBrooks and Stubler are not rookies. I'm not keen on Jarious Jackson, but I'll give him 1 more year with a solid offence to see what he can do  

I don't see what an unproven Head Coach and a journey man DC screams instant success for, either.

1 hour ago, lyin' guy said:

They are massive question marks about depth everywhere for every team in May 

I've said from the day the Lions went on a FA spending spree... their season will be made or broken by their rookies... They have a ton of top end talent... it's a matter of how well their rookies/bottom end players perform... If they can find a few good rookie gems, no reason they can't compete for 1st in the west along with Calgary and Winnipeg... and Sask (haha, just kidding)... 

3 minutes ago, Booch said:

I wouldn't say a ton of top end talent...I'll give them Burnham and Reilly as top end...Chungh in the top teir...but after that...nothing too spectacular...

fair enough... I suppose I meant 4 or 5 players... which doesn't necessarily qualify as "a ton"...

6 minutes ago, M.O.A.B. said:

Jamie Nye@jamienye

It'll be interesting to see Ed Hervey, John Hufnagel figure out how to make their QB salaries fit in a cap that hasn't moved and minimum salaries going up by 10k. Have fun! #CFL

yep. good luck!

The problem is that the next batch of FA QBs will want the same deals...  I could see Sask paying big for a QB... or teams will start hiding 'incentives'