Around the League: 2019 Off Season

SpeedFlex27
Message added by Rich

For minor off-season non-Bomber CFL news.  Any significant stories or news that is likely to generate significant discussion may have its own thread created. General Bomber news can be found here.

4 minutes ago, BBlink said:

Troy Westwood was talking on the radio about that line when you're a veteran being asked to help out the younger guys.  He was very much on the side of "he's here to take my job, I'm not going to be very helpful".

Ryan: "Chins up, boys, when I was in Seattle we were in a situation just like this...".

Players: "You're not a real player. Shut the eff up and punt"

1 hour ago, Fred C Dobbs said:

Noticed Riderfans commenting that Ryan will provide veteran leadership for a very young team. Umm, I thought the Riders were tied with the Esks as the team with the most 30+ yr old players in the league.

Well Ryan is 37 so compared to him Solly, Labatte, Clark, Manny, Blake etc are youngsters.

2 hours ago, BBlink said:

I'm hearing sarcasm but I'm not sure why.  Having a hometown boy that was in the NFL come back is a huge win and a huge story.  If you're talking about non-football fans paying to go to games, I don't think there's a single player that would do it.

Yeah, I don't get it either.  Every team needs a punter. If he sells tickets because he's a hometown guy & a former NFL player so much the better. 

57 minutes ago, WBBFanWest said:

This.  If you do his salary on a "cost per punt" basis, the Riders are probably getting him for a steal.

It’s a good move. Bartel was a horrible punter and Ryan if he’s similar to the past will help.  Could add an extra 40 yards or so per game.  100k is well worth it if he’s still good. 

that's really really good news re: CBA. I think this thing is close to getting done, and they'll have 'er worked out before camp starts on the weekend, for sure. I'm breathing a sigh of relief. Both sides came prepared to work out a deal, one way or another...

Just now, TBURGESS said:

Ryan's a good punter, but $100K for a guy who just punts is way too high IMO.

and the other thing is, he really doesn't need the money. He's sitting pretty from his NFL money. I get that you need to make some kinda statement because, in theory, he's a "superstar" (albeit a punter...) but honestly, the guy could do what June Jones did and just take a 50k "salary" and donate it to a charity of his choice...

1 hour ago, Noeller said:

and the other thing is, he really doesn't need the money. He's sitting pretty from his NFL money. I get that you need to make some kinda statement because, in theory, he's a "superstar" (albeit a punter...) but honestly, the guy could do what June Jones did and just take a 50k "salary" and donate it to a charity of his choice...

Pretty much. Im in the same boat, great punter but too much money. I feel like teams that dont use one guy to kick and punt are at a large disadvantage in cap and ratio. Itll be cool to see him back in the league though. Id like to see him and leone go toe to toe and see who can boot it further. 

22 minutes ago, wbbfan said:

Pretty much. I'm in the same boat, great punter but too much money. I feel like teams that don't use one guy to kick and punt are at a large disadvantage in cap and ratio. It'll be cool to see him back in the league though. Id like to see him and Leone go toe to toe and see who can boot it further. 

Since when has money been a concern for the Riders? To them, the salary cap is a suggestion, not a limit.

Thing with Medlock is he is absorbing two salaries with his one salary being able to do all 3 facets of the kicking game..and as being one of the best at it...he is making basically a very modest salary at each when you break it down, so really we are saving money when you look at it

16 minutes ago, Booch said:

Thing with Medlock is he is absorbing two salaries with his one salary being able to do all 3 facets of the kicking game..and as being one of the best at it...he is making basically a very modest salary at each when you break it down, so really we are saving money when you look at it

Exactly!

3 hours ago, M.O.A.B. said:

Dan Barnes‏ @sportsdanbarnes

#CFLPA says it "has advised all players to prepare to report for 2019 training camps on May 19, as scheduled, until otherwise notified." Meetings between the CFLPA and CFL bargaining teams are scheduled to last all day today.

The season might start without any significant disruption?

Gobsmacked, I am simply gobsmacked...who would have ever seen this coming?