Around the League: 2019 Off Season

SpeedFlex27
Message added by Rich

For minor off-season non-Bomber CFL news.  Any significant stories or news that is likely to generate significant discussion may have its own thread created. General Bomber news can be found here.

2 hours ago, MC said:

I am not so sure that he was paid over a million a year.  He was never at a marquis program.  There is a huge difference in compensation levels between Ohio State and Hawaii.  That said, he would have made good coin.

I am not talking about Hawaii, I'm talking about SMU. They play in the FBS and their current head coach makes over 2 million per season.

1 hour ago, Atomic said:

I am not talking about Hawaii, I'm talking about SMU. They play in the FBS and their current head coach makes over 2 million per season.

Also cant underestimate how much a small to medium school will pay to keep a great coach. the USCs, floridas, alabamas etc get the media attention but the real security is in the 2nd tier colleges. 

Jones negotiated a contract worth $800,016 during the 2004 season

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/June_Jones

https://herosports.com/college-football/coaches-salary/june-jones

Idk how reliable the second one is but yeah, Established HC in a good conference doesnt hurt for money. 

2 minutes ago, Zontar said:

Good luck getting a ticket at Mosaic this year.  Nothing brings in the casual fans like a punter after media has to explain to them who he is.

I'm hearing sarcasm but I'm not sure why.  Having a hometown boy that was in the NFL come back is a huge win and a huge story.  If you're talking about non-football fans paying to go to games, I don't think there's a single player that would do it.

2 minutes ago, BBlink said:

I'm hearing sarcasm but I'm not sure why.  Having a hometown boy that was in the NFL come back is a huge win and a huge story.  If you're talking about non-football fans paying to go to games, I don't think there's a single player that would do it.

Meh. Manziel got a lot of casuals to come to an ex game here. But point taken.

7 minutes ago, Fred C Dobbs said:

Noticed Riderfans commenting that Ryan will provide veteran leadership for a very young team. Umm, I thought the Riders were tied with the Esks as the team with the most 30+ yr old players in the league.

Maybe they're referring to all the secret practice roster players?  More than enough players there to field a second team.

39 minutes ago, Fred C Dobbs said:

Noticed Riderfans commenting that Ryan will provide veteran leadership for a very young team. Umm, I thought the Riders were tied with the Esks as the team with the most 30+ yr old players in the league.

Because punters are are traditionally the go- to source for leadership on any football team.

Edited by Zontar

2 minutes ago, Zontar said:

Because punters are are traditionally the go- to source for leadership on any football team.

Troy Westwood was talking on the radio about that line when you're a veteran being asked to help out the younger guys.  He was very much on the side of "he's here to take my job, I'm not going to be very helpful".