Around the League: 2019 Off Season

SpeedFlex27
Message added by Rich

For minor off-season non-Bomber CFL news.  Any significant stories or news that is likely to generate significant discussion may have its own thread created. General Bomber news can be found here.

We’ve been talking about 2 great CFL QBs - Mike Reilly and Ricky Ray. Both of them had nice touches when throwing the ball to their receivers.

What I recall as being the difference is Reilly’s touches still had the receivers having to make more difficult catches.

Ricky Ray’s touches just seem to be right there, floating to the arms of his receivers. Incredible. Made you wonder...how’d he do that..

1 hour ago, Colin Unger said:

If Clarke is unable to suit up for the season where does this leave the Riders offensive line?  They might be regretting not drafting an offensive lineman in the 2nd round. 

thats a question I was wondering as well..Bladek can't be expected really this year, and when he might be, he won't be jumping right into action, and he was still pretty hit and miss as it was as a player..more misses than hit's and the time off from injury isn't going to help him progress..Leaves them with and aging and declining Blake and Labatte...who is now injury prone...and no real Canadian depth to back them up...sure they will throw Shepley's name out there as depth, or even a starter but huge question mark there and I doubt he will be a above average lineman in immediate future...They have to middle of the road Import tackles and that is being generous....and after that....a whole load of steaming nothing...how they didn't take a O-lineman in their first 2 picks is baffling, and to address this swiss cheese in the next 1-2 years will require bigger SMS dollars to try and attract a free agent....that offense is going to be worse than last year I bet...Powell is going to be second guessing his decision to sign there by week 4

3 minutes ago, Booch said:

how they didn't take a O-lineman in their first 2 picks is baffling,

There were a few question mark picks or non-picks. But Saskatchewan not going O-Line is one of the biggest ⁉️

24 minutes ago, Mr Dee said:

There were a few question mark picks or non-picks. But Saskatchewan not going O-Line is one of the biggest ⁉️

Shows to go you that the best laid plans of mice and men go oft astray. I hope for a speedy and complete recovery for Mr. Clark- it sounded like a serious injury because they were describing him as awake and alert. He was obviously badly concussed, so a return to the Riders this season is not a given by any means.

Edited by Tracker

2 hours ago, bluto said:

We were blessed to have him. 2 Cups.

I still marvel at how Barker stole him from Edmonton.

Second best QB we've ever had.

Are you allowed in the new stadium? I hope you aren't banned, that way the Argos actually have an extra body in the stands to increase the attendance percentage. :)

Jayyyyyyyyyyzuzzzzzzzzzzzzzz............so help me, giant spaghetti monster in the sky, if they **** up the start of TC, Imma slap a *****. Who wants to drive down to Toronto and kick Randy Ambrosie in the head...?

4 hours ago, SpeedFlex27 said:

Getting old sucks. At 39, he had a great career but the body just can't take the pounding anymore. 

Frankly relieved Ray has finally decided to retire, the Argo O-line was unable to protect him well the last few years and he was never fleet of foot.  He'd no sooner come back from one horrific injury only to be subjected to a gangland beating leading to his next horrific injury.  It was too painful to watch.  Glad he managed to pull off a G.C. win in 2017 but being close to a miracle, that should have been his last hurrah.

Edited by Throw Long Bannatyne

2 hours ago, Noeller said:

Jayyyyyyyyyyzuzzzzzzzzzzzzzz............so help me, giant spaghetti monster in the sky, if they **** up the start of TC, Imma slap a *****. Who wants to drive down to Toronto and kick Randy Ambrosie in the head...?

Sign me up. Lets kick the cflpa head too. 

9 hours ago, Floyd said:

Conredge Holloway says hi.

9 hours ago, MC said:

I would take Ray over Holloway any day of the week.  Holloway finally found his groove in the run and shoot, but was never the consistent and elite QB that Ray was for almost his entire career.  At the sunset of his career Ray was able to get a mediocre Argos team another Grey Cup.

My inner 10 year old who watched Conredge lead a GC winning team will always have a special place for him in my memories...

But being real: Doug Flutie is not only the best CFL QB I've ever seen, he was also the best player, period.

12 hours ago, bluto said:

My inner 10 year old who watched Conredge lead a GC winning team will always have a special place for him in my memories...

But being real: Doug Flutie is not only the best CFL QB I've ever seen, he was also the best player, period.

Oh I was rating Holloway second best...

59 minutes ago, Floyd said:

Oh I was rating Holloway second best...

One of those scenarios where it's nigh impossible to compare athletes from different eras in an apples to apples way. My heart loves them both but my head says that RR could be time portal'd back to '83 and started at QB and we win that GC with or without Holloway (or Joe Barnes!)... I can't bring myself to say the same about time portalling Holloway to GC 100 or 105.

12 minutes ago, Bomber_fanaddict said:

If he stays healthy it will. But they still have Collaros as a QB and showed last year that the D can only take you so far. 

The O is still a huge question mark over there.

I dont think their D is going to be better then last year with the talent on paper anyway. Combine that with collaros and the OL they have, and its gonna be a tough season in green town.