Around the League: 2019 Off Season

SpeedFlex27
Message added by Rich

For minor off-season non-Bomber CFL news.  Any significant stories or news that is likely to generate significant discussion may have its own thread created. General Bomber news can be found here.

12 minutes ago, AKAChip said:

Reilly is quite a bit better than BLM but they are both the only above average QBs in the CFL at this moment in time. Those who think Reilly is overrated are either jealous that we haven’t had a QB of his caliber since the 80s or just hate his stupid hat. 

Is he as good if hes not throwing to the duke or prime stamps or bowman when he was on. Those guys were making catches most guys dont. 

19 hours ago, Zontar said:

Alex Green. HAM loaded up at RB so its not that surprising. He has quality.

Cappiciotti.  Too expensive for what he does which isn't much.

Whitlock.  Does many things none particularly well.

I like the way green runs the ball. Hope he finds another team hes a gooder. 

21 minutes ago, Goalie said:

Is he as good if hes not throwing to the duke or prime stamps or bowman when he was on. Those guys were making catches most guys dont. 

No QB is as good throwing to scrubs as he is throwing to great receivers. It doesn’t make him any less great. 

37 minutes ago, Floyd said:

30 years old...

very low miles though. Harris is 32, powell is 31, gable is 31, wilder is 28, sutton is 32, jeremiah johnson is 32 etc. Id take a shot on a guy like green over gable, sutton, johnson etc, even wilder is a lot of head ache and money for a similar skill set. 

Cheap, fresh legs, established that he can play in the league, not a threat to jump to the nfl etc. 

7 hours ago, Goalie said:

Agree on that one. BLM is the better of the 2 qbs IMO. Reilly relies on his big play receivers to make great catches downfield while BLM can throw it deep or go on a ten play 85 yard drive. And don't forget Mitchell lost every one of his starting receivers last season & still played at a fairly high level & won the GC. 

Lots of Reilly bashing these days...  anyone ever think that maybe all his 'big play' receivers make 'big plays' because Reilly throws an insanely accurate long ball...?

Look at Bowman's career - he's a hack and always has been - but Reilly made him an all-star...

Don't be surprised if Walker comes back to earth this year too...

44 minutes ago, Noeller said:

One of the absolute all time greats. For me, he's on the Mount Rushmore of CFL QBs....

17 minutes ago, Sard said:

Good for Ray and his health, unfortunate for the league.

Agree x2. I wonder if he will go into coaching now? Wish he would have retired after that GC, but atleast he is reasonably healthy. 

I will always remember him seemingly completing 80% of his passes against us every single game. 

15 minutes ago, bigg jay said:

I do too... especially considering the same guy would go on to trade for Drew Willy only a couple years later!  Both are mind blowing, but in very different ways! 

Desperation makes guys take major risks.  He was looking to catch lightning and save his job.  Guys do it every year.  The key is to have the right asset ready at the right time.  Nichols coming of age made it possible for us.

45 minutes ago, Colin Unger said:

If Clarke is unable to suit up for the season where does this leave the Riders offensive line?  They might be regretting not drafting an offensive lineman in the 2nd round. 

How serious is his injury? I've heard he's stable...that can mean many things.

10 minutes ago, Floyd said:

Conredge Holloway says hi.

I would take Ray over Holloway any day of the week.  Holloway finally found his groove in the run and shoot, but was never the consistent and elite QB that Ray was for almost his entire career.  At the sunset of his career Ray was able to get a mediocre Argos team another Grey Cup.

1 minute ago, 17to85 said:

God I hated Ray so much when he first came to the league. Upstart chip truck driver ******* up our unfinished business.... to hell with that guy, who the hell did he think he was? 

But as time went on I got over that and recognized him as one of the best.

During his 1st year, I remember thinking...yeah we've seen players have decent starts before, we'll see what he does after teams have film....then it was "his 1st year was likely a fluke, don't expect him to keep that up." year after year he always come up. Solid player..great career.