Around the League: 2019 Off Season

SpeedFlex27
Message added by Rich

For minor off-season non-Bomber CFL news.  Any significant stories or news that is likely to generate significant discussion may have its own thread created. General Bomber news can be found here.

50 minutes ago, Noeller said:

Further to territorial exemptions...

D4ceiCTW4AENoXW.png:large

I'm not going to complain... since this appears to benefit the Boatmen. I would guess this would add us in at #19? (so we'd be 1st, 9th, 18th & 19th...?) And if our "territory" is anything like the GTA then that gives us plenty of kids to look at...

But I just see this becoming unbalanced. Not all territories have the population to produce talent equally nor are they equally desirable to live in.

1 hour ago, Noeller said:

From the Taiter:

Ed Tait Retweeted CFL Communications

This affects the #Bombers drafting positions after the second round. Still pick 4th, 5th and 14th, but now 25th, 34th, 43rd, 52nd, 61st and 70th overall -- each pick dropped down two spots due to the Toronto and Montreal territorial selections

Hate this.

38 minutes ago, bluto said:

I'm not going to complain... since this appears to benefit the Boatmen. I would guess this would add us in at #19? (so we'd be 1st, 9th, 18th & 19th...?) And if our "territory" is anything like the GTA then that gives us plenty of kids to look at...

But I just see this becoming unbalanced. Not all territories have the population to produce talent equally nor are they equally desirable to live in.

Hey, hey. No bad-mouthing Saskatchewan. That's our job in this forum.

What a load of BS.  Weeks before a draft they change the format?

I agree with territorial protections but it should apply equally.  Should be a round prior to the draft where each team gets to claim a player from their territory.  This system just rewards poorly managed teams.  And there should be at least a one year period before any change of this magnitude is made.

2 hours ago, JuranBoldenRules said:

What a load of BS.  Weeks before a draft they change the format?

I agree with territorial protections but it should apply equally.  Should be a round prior to the draft where each team gets to claim a player from their territory.  This system just rewards poorly managed teams.  And there should be at least a one year period before any change of this magnitude is made.

Give thanks to our useless Commissioner for this. 

It doesn’t matter how many picks you give some teams they can screw it up. Just review some of Joe Mack’s picks. Also some picks never actually get anywhere near the game field. The major concern moving forward still remains the dilution of Canadian talent if another team is added.....not that I believe it is going to happen any time soon. “ If they build it they will come” IF being the operative word.

1 hour ago, Blueandgold said:

I pine for the days when we had a normal commish like Mark Cohen. 

Cohen was a business man running the business. He had no false believe that football was his area of expertise. As for the current commish?.......He overestimates his knowledge and expertise....he thinks he knows all the answers....something that is dangerous in any business.

30 minutes ago, Colin Unger said:

So Adam Konar is on the trade block. I don’t know how good this kid is but I do like the idea of Winnipeg having more options in terms of starting Canadians in case if injuries.  Thoughts? 

I have liked Konar's play since he came into the league. He is no Muamba but a solid linebacker- particularly against the run.

1 hour ago, Colin Unger said:

At the very least it would be nice to have the option.  However, I'm still holding out hope that Chris Ackie will sign here.

Agreed - I do think konar was knicked up even after came back last year and he will have a bounce back year

our wil should have a big year - the pressure created with halls scheme and this talent level will mean a lot of outs and a lot of pressured throws to that side