Around the League: 2019 Off Season

SpeedFlex27
Message added by Rich

For minor off-season non-Bomber CFL news.  Any significant stories or news that is likely to generate significant discussion may have its own thread created. General Bomber news can be found here.

2 minutes ago, Throw Long Bannatyne said:

The P.A. has never had much bargaining power and they know it, they're just trying to make as much noise as they can.

Can't really blame them for that.  The problem is that it's not a wealthy league and the league just had to take over a team to save jobs and a franchise. We all want the players to make more money.  This is why I've been so supportive of the Global initiative which has the potential to significantly increase the salaries for all players in the CFL.  Yes some tactics are being used and there were some pretty bad tactics used on players in the past. Just ask anyone who played for Cal!  However, the league has never had a work stoppage and the league has survived and been able to pay players year after year after year.  Unlike the AFF, XFL 1.0, USFL, Arena League ect ect.   

18 hours ago, Colin Unger said:

Can't really blame them for that.  The problem is that it's not a wealthy league and the league just had to take over a team to save jobs and a franchise. We all want the players to make more money.  This is why I've been so supportive of the Global initiative which has the potential to significantly increase the salaries for all players in the CFL.  Yes some tactics are being used and there were some pretty bad tactics used on players in the past. Just ask anyone who played for Cal!  However, the league has never had a work stoppage and the league has survived and been able to pay players year after year after year.  Unlike the AFF, XFL 1.0, USFL, Arena League ect ect.   

FTR: 1974 - 12 day strike.

Edited by TBURGESS

Redblacks using ‘committee’ for offensive coordinator role in 2019 By 3Down Staff -  April 15, 2019

Rick-Campbell-696x392.jpg

The Ottawa Redblacks are taking the committee approach for the offensive coordinator position during the upcoming season.

This is a glorious decision by the Redblacks and have full confidence that this will end well!! 🤣

1 hour ago, JCon said:

Redblacks using ‘committee’ for offensive coordinator role in 2019 By 3Down Staff -  April 15, 2019

The Ottawa Redblacks are taking the committee approach for the offensive coordinator position during the upcoming season.

This is a glorious decision by the Redblacks and have full confidence that this will end well!! 🤣

Yup. 'Cause a camel is a horse designed by a committee.

19 hours ago, SpeedFlex27 said:

My son's qb coach & OC at SFU. #muchrespect

Image result for joe paopao sfu

18 hours ago, Noeller said:

This is a guy that should never have been gone from our league... 

What he managed to do with soo little to work with in Ottawa was incredible. Return of the shovel pass! Also he is just the best kind of person in football. 

2 hours ago, JCon said:

I remember when we did this. I think it lasted half a year. What a mess. It smacks of indecision and lack of trust for your coaches. 

If you give a young hungry ast coach more responsibility and invest the faith in them to run things you find gems.  Doing it by committee just tells the coaches involved management doest trust them to do the job. Not to mention none of those guys are going to take the full responsibility. Its not THEIR job. 

If we ended up in the same spot and lost plop late in the offseason, I have no doubt they would anoint buck the new OC and give him all the time and trust to learn the job. And Buck would run with it. Same with mos and plop etc. The management has shown more trust and dedication to dom davis then to their offensive coaches. 

YEAH....But the CFL as the league can sit and have nothing going on..revenue in or out much longer than the  majority of the CFLPA can...thats what he getting at...I doubt it comes to that anyway and just the standard media posturing, tho that being said the players have made concessions for years, and took a lot of things on the chin, and this time around they want a little fair compensation and treatment and have the best interest of their members now, and moving forward taken into consideration

18 hours ago, TBURGESS said:

Yes, I think the CFL cares. The players are the product. Without them, no games.

This is about pressure and leverage....does a camp or season delay really cost the CFL or teams revenue....not significantly. But your employees , who yes are the product have gone without a pay cheque for about 6 months given when camp would start. How do you think their bank balance is looking? Do you know any teachers who were struggling and anxiously waiting for their first cheque the end of Sept.? 

Historically this is how the CFL has negotiated in the past.....they know they ultimately have the upper hand in this process. Like it of not agree or not this is how it is done.

From the Taiter:

Ed Tait Retweeted CFL Communications

This affects the #Bombers drafting positions after the second round. Still pick 4th, 5th and 14th, but now 25th, 34th, 43rd, 52nd, 61st and 70th overall -- each pick dropped down two spots due to the Toronto and Montreal territorial selections

3 minutes ago, DR. CFL said:

This is about pressure and leverage....does a camp or season delay really cost the CFL or teams revenue....not significantly. But your employees , who yes are the product have gone without a pay cheque for about 6 months given when camp would start. How do you think their bank balance is looking? Do you know any teachers who were struggling and anxiously waiting for their first cheque the end of Sept.? 

Historically this is how the CFL has negotiated in the past.....they know they ultimately have the upper hand in this process. Like it of not agree or not this is how it is done.

As in all work stoppages, both sides have something to lose. Usually management has the upper hand because they can last longer. I'm not sure that's the case in the CFL.

A camp and a season delay would cost the CFL and teams revenue. TSN isn't going to pay them. No one in the stands. Teams have had no revenue at all for as long as the players and they still have to pay their staff. Some teams are just barely hanging on as it is. Losing a game or two's revenue could put them under and  the league would have to take them over. That could literally kill the league. They also run the risk of losing fans, not just short term, but long term (Ex: I used to be a big baseball fan. I lost interest back in 1994 and now only watch a game or two a year). Fans in the stands are the lifeblood of the league and numbers have been dropping even before a strike.