Around the League: 2019 Off Season

SpeedFlex27
Message added by Rich

For minor off-season non-Bomber CFL news.  Any significant stories or news that is likely to generate significant discussion may have its own thread created. General Bomber news can be found here.

21 minutes ago, Mr Dee said:

Regarding Ambrosie and CFL 2.0; there is nothing there that p p s me. That is, pleases, or pisses me off. That’s all stuff that can be looked at in the future.

But, I’ll say this,

the CFLPA is handling the negotiations, in relation to media exposure, much better this time around, and is making the CFL looking like high-schoolers in their handling of press releases and keeping THE FANS uninformed.

That has to change.

The CFLPA is doing ok, but the players on Social media need to stop. Out there talking about how they are willing to walk if needed. There are very few players in the CFL that aren't immediately replaceable. Sounds harsh, but it's the truth. The QB's a couple D players and a couple Canadians...but after that...there's already someone there waiting for their chance. Would the quality suffer...probably a bit...but would only be a matter of time before it was up to standard. Wouldn't be NFL holdout type of play...in fact I'd bet most fans wouldn't notice that big of a drop.

I understand the players need to look out for what's in their best interest....but acting like they can hold the leagues feet to fire is laughable. I'm watching CFL football this summer whether they're a part of it or not.

1 minute ago, Noeller said:

Unless I've missed it, I haven't seen a response from the league regarding the delay in negotiations. That's really disappointing to me...I'd like to at least know WHY they're doing it.

Agreed. Without an explanation, real or contrived, I'm forced to make things up in my head. 

An effort to break the players' will?
Ambrosie is in Brazil, signing another 2.0 deal?
Ambrosie is auditioning for the role of Benny in a reboot of LA Law? 

Could be anything, really. 

13 minutes ago, JCon said:

Agreed. Without an explanation, real or contrived, I'm forced to make things up in my head. 

An effort to break the players' will?
Ambrosie is in Brazil, signing another 2.0 deal?
Ambrosie is auditioning for the role of Benny in a reboot of LA Law? 

Could be anything, really. 

Maybe they have more important issues like Montreal. Its early April. They got time. Montreal needs an owner like now. 

Edited by Goalie

1 minute ago, Goalie said:

Maybe they have more important issues like Montreal. Its early April. They got time. Montreal needs an owner like now. 

Maybe but the Montreal issue isn't new and, on good authority, I've heard they can multitask. 

But, why not just say, they're dealing with Montreal? 

I have zero concerns about the CBA.  The pie they are cutting is very small and with limited chances of growing it much.  Nobody is making much money in this enterprise, with the exception of a handful of players and coaches/GM's.  And they make peanuts compared to any other professional sports league.  The players options are to play for the CFL or punch a clock.  Schmucks like the rest of us have few chances of getting a standing ovation or creating a highlight reel for doing our everyday jobs.

They are not negotiating very much.  They don't need a lot of discussion because both sides know where they are going to end up.  The CFLPA needs to show their members that they are doing everything they can.  So, they need to own the media on this.

Historically this has been the pattern in CBA negotiations. Squeeze the players to the end. Most are broke by this time in the off season and the CFL knows it. The irony is you start the season sooner, add a bye week and if there is a strike or lock out you have a built in cushion for delays.

14 hours ago, Noeller said:

a very bitter and sarcastic Drew from 3DN

Drew's rancorous opinion toward the League has softened since he was expelled from the safety of the Ecuadorian embassy.

Edited by Pete Catan's Ghost

On 2019-04-12 at 9:37 AM, Mr Dee said:

Chris puts it succinctly:

Pay the players, get back to the table and set things straight. This would go a long way towards a new agreement..

Players stick together. The league is wise to not pay the bonuses which are part of the players 2019 contracts and pre-payment on what they hope the players will do during the 2019 season. I can assure you that if the league paid the bonuses and a collective bargaining agreement is not reached the players would not be paying the money back. The league would refund season tickets and sponsors.  Negotiations are tough but even tougher when they pay money to the party you are negotiating with and then try and negotiate.