Around the League: 2019 Off Season

SpeedFlex27
Message added by Rich

For minor off-season non-Bomber CFL news.  Any significant stories or news that is likely to generate significant discussion may have its own thread created. General Bomber news can be found here.

I wish people (mainly the media) weren't getting their panties in a bunch over some boston reporter who is obviously trolling or just an idiot. Comes off as needy. Who the **** cares about what he thinks even if he's being serious? He's now replied with a "sorry I hurt your feelings"...

It's like arguing with a flat earther...the proof is there, go look at it, or don't. I don't give a ****...you can be wrong.

All proposes rule changes made by the #CFL rule committee have been approved by the league's Board of Governors. Includes adding another coaches challenge if the first is successful. More intervention from the Command Centre including upgrading rough play fouls to 25 yards.

The ratified rule changes for 2019 include:

Allowing the Command Centre to assist Referees with called and non-called roughing the passer penalties including instances where an obvious roughing the passer penalty was not called because a referee’s view was blocked.

The ability for the Command Centre to upgrade a 15-yard roughing the passer penalty to a 25-yard penalty for a direct blow to the quarterback’s head or neck with the helmet when that player has a clear view to the quarterback, and there are no mitigating circumstances such as a quarterback ducking his head.

Allowing the Command Centre to assist on-field officials in calling penalties when the injury spotter has intervened in a player safety situation.

Allowing the Command Centre to assist on-field officials with called and non-called roughing the kicker penalties.

Removing the stipulation that allows a defender to contact a kicker’s plant leg without penalty if the defender has touched the ball prior to contact.

Clarifying the definition of spearing to be when a player uses the top of their helmet as the primary point of contact to deliver a blow to an opponent.

Making the use of three or more wedge blockers on kicking plays illegal.

Making it illegal for a defensive player to deliver a forcible blow to the long snapper while the snapper’s head is down and they are in a vulnerable position and unable to protect themselves.

Whistling a play dead anytime a quarterback carrying the ball gives themselves up by sliding with any part of their body. Previously, a quarterback could only “give themselves up” by sliding feet-first.

Coaches will be entitled to a second challenge if their first is successful, giving them a potential maximum of two per game instead of just one.

A 10-yard objectionable conduct penalty will be assessed for faking or embellishing contact, otherwise known as diving.

Spearing on any player will be upgraded to a 25-yard penalty by the Command Centre when a spear is delivered to the head or neck, the player has a clear view to the opponent and there are no mitigating circumstances such as the player ducking into what would otherwise be legal contact.

If a player receives two 25-yard penalties in the same game, they will be disqualified from that game.

A kicked or thrown football will remain a live ball instead of becoming a dead ball when it touches a goal-post ribbon.

44 minutes ago, Mr Dee said:

Whistling a play dead anytime a quarterback carrying the ball gives themselves up by sliding with any part of their body. Previously, a quarterback could only “give themselves up” by sliding feet-first.

Can you slide with your outstretched arms in a diving motion in order to gain extra yards without fear of getting hit now? 

Oh good lord, the CFL isn't doing itself any favours in terms of getting new fans or making the game better for fans.

At such a contentious time, aside from safety, making the game more enjoyable for fans should be the number one priority for the CFL. I promise that more penalties and more challenges isn't what will make people tune in.

The only change that is a mistake is the second coaches' challenge.  I used to say they should be challenge anything because it was more important to get it right.  But, in practice it hurts the game.  The CFL finally had it right the last year and a half.  The one-and-done rule resulted in the majority of egregious calls being corrected and added some interesting decisions being made by coaches. 

There will always be some team's fan base who goes crazy because they think they see irrefutable proof in ultra slow motion that their team got jobbed on one play out of the 160.  That is just sport.  It all evens out in the end.  And no - no team ever lost a game because of one call or non-call.  If they had played better they would have won.

1 hour ago, Mr Dee said:

The ratified rule changes for 2019 include:

Allowing the Command Centre to assist Referees with called and non-called roughing the passer penalties including instances where an obvious roughing the passer penalty was not called because a referee’s view was blocked.

The ability for the Command Centre to upgrade a 15-yard roughing the passer penalty to a 25-yard penalty for a direct blow to the quarterback’s head or neck with the helmet when that player has a clear view to the quarterback, and there are no mitigating circumstances such as a quarterback ducking his head.

Allowing the Command Centre to assist on-field officials in calling penalties when the injury spotter has intervened in a player safety situation.

Allowing the Command Centre to assist on-field officials with called and non-called roughing the kicker penalties.

Removing the stipulation that allows a defender to contact a kicker’s plant leg without penalty if the defender has touched the ball prior to contact.

Clarifying the definition of spearing to be when a player uses the top of their helmet as the primary point of contact to deliver a blow to an opponent.

Making the use of three or more wedge blockers on kicking plays illegal.

Making it illegal for a defensive player to deliver a forcible blow to the long snapper while the snapper’s head is down and they are in a vulnerable position and unable to protect themselves.

Coaches will be entitled to a second challenge if their first is successful, giving them a potential maximum of two per game instead of just one.

A 10-yard objectionable conduct penalty will be assessed for faking or embellishing contact, otherwise known as diving.

Spearing on any player will be upgraded to a 25-yard penalty by the Command Centre when a spear is delivered to the head or neck, the player has a clear view to the opponent and there are no mitigating circumstances such as the player ducking into what would otherwise be legal contact.

If a player receives two 25-yard penalties in the same game, they will be disqualified from that game.

A kicked or thrown football will remain a live ball instead of becoming a dead ball when it touches a goal-post ribbon.

It's getting closer and closer to having the command centre take over all the on-field referring with the use of technology. Not yet, but inching closer. Theoretically with advanced technology today, one could argue there is no need to have on-field humans calling anything. I don't like it because I like us humans calling things without the use of technology sometimes but who knows where this will lead.

7 minutes ago, HardCoreBlue said:

It's getting closer and closer to having the command centre take over all the on-field referring with the use of technology. Not yet, but inching closer. Theoretically with advanced technology today, one could argue there is no need to have on-field humans calling anything. I don't like it because I like us humans calling things without the use of technology sometimes but who knows where this will lead.

That's taking a fairly radical view but not close to reality.  There is no sense hamstringing the technology with restrictions and no reason the head ref. and the command centre can't be in constant communication, assisting wherever they can add valuable insight to achieve the best results.

58 minutes ago, Colin Unger said:

Im all for the command center correcting more calls. The officiating in the CFL without this aid was horrible. So long as it doesn't slow down the flow of the game.

Except it's Jake Ireland in the command centre & he continues to screw over every team.... Just because he can. Don't like the second coaches challenge. Guys like Jason Maas will just save it to throw a phantom challenge as he has nothing to lose. 

25 minutes ago, SpeedFlex27 said:

Except it's Jake Ireland in the command centre & he continues to screw over every team.... Just because he can. Don't like the second coaches challenge. Guys like Jason Maas will just save it to throw a phantom challenge as he has nothing to lose. 

You only get a second challenge if the first one is right.  Jason will still have to make a decision about when and where he should throw it.  Not too concerned by this

1 hour ago, SpeedFlex27 said:

only if he's right...and I can't say for sure, but I believe they lose a timeout for getting it wrong. I could just be making that up though lol

2 hours ago, wbbfan said:

Not a fan of protecting QBs sliding head first the same as hook sliding. 

I'm wondering where they mark the ball. Start of the slide. End of the slide. Likely can't hit a sliding QB, but maybe when he's touched?

Is diving forward a slide? Is slowing down a football move or giving up? Is pretending to slide, then taking an extra 4 or 5 yards when the defender slows up OK?

There's a lotta wiggle room here for QB's and a lot of chances for fans to complain about the spot and the calls.

The problem with giving players more money at this point is that there are still two teams that are losing money year after year.   I want the players to get more money but not if it ends up costing the league a team or two. Its like the players want more money for rookies and more guarantees and perhaps pensions for veteran players.  Where's the money going to come from? Owners in Toronto and Montreal out of goodwill or perhaps more money from Manitoba tax payers?  Not sure how giving the players more money at this time grows the league. Im optimistic that with the global initiative eventually, player wages can increase significantly. But now doesn't seem like the time.   Seems like players want everything that the AAF did which ultimately doomed them to fold. 

Some form of guaranteed money for veterans I think could work if it was done right.  It would force teams to stick with what they've got which would be good for continuity.  Similar to how the football operations cap makes it so that a team like the Riders didn't just fire their whole coaching staff and hire whoever they wanted after Chris Jones left.  Would force teams to be more responsible. 

Regarding Ambrosie and CFL 2.0; there is nothing there that p p s me. That is, pleases, or pisses me off. That’s all stuff that can be looked at in the future.

But, I’ll say this,

the CFLPA is handling the negotiations, in relation to media exposure, much better this time around, and is making the CFL looking like high-schoolers in their handling of press releases and keeping THE FANS uninformed.

That has to change.