Around the League: 2019 Off Season

SpeedFlex27
Message added by Rich

For minor off-season non-Bomber CFL news.  Any significant stories or news that is likely to generate significant discussion may have its own thread created. General Bomber news can be found here.

On 2019-04-04 at 9:01 AM, Noeller said:

So I'm legitimately curious because I had no idea ringette had this problem......why does ringette have so many concussions?

Coached ringette when my daughter went from 8 thru 18  and hockey when my son went from 4 thru 16 so have a couple theories...

Ringette is a non- collision sport, much like basketball.  There is a ton of contact, and getting more aggressive as coached by the more aggressive AA coaches ( remember this is a personal theory based on observation) who are coaching based on what is and isn't being called as penalties 

Ringette only has two on ice officials and most of the time they need to watch the ring , to see who has control,to watch the markings on the ice - those lines at the top of the circle and the crease lines are more important in the rules than in hockey,  - so their vision is almost always down - contact above the waist is rarely called unless truly aggressive,  and then often miss called based on the outcome that they see when they transfer their line of sight

If ever a sport needed a 3rd ref., ringette is it - it's essentially playing hockey with two linesmen and no ref 

Also from a young age the coaches are taught to teach the boys how to take a hit and how to skate safe - shoulders up, eyes up, protect the head

And never skate straight on into the boards to retrieve the puck, skate in at an angle- sadly I realized this too late to really help my daughter and those teams - but if you watch a ringette game you'll cringe how often a girl will skate full bore straight at the ring along the boards- 

Ever notice the lack of the Stop sign on the upper back of ringette jerseys ? 

So long way of me saying it's because of the lack of coaching safety from the youngest ages and the lack of the 3rd ref  based on the misbelief  it is a non contact sport 

31 minutes ago, Guestingreen said:

Coached ringette when my daughter went from 8 thru 18  and hockey when my son went from 4 thru 16 so have a couple theories...

Ringette is a non- collision sport, much like basketball.  There is a ton of contact, and getting more aggressive as coached by the more aggressive AA coaches ( remember this is a personal theory based on observation) who are coaching based on what is and isn't being called as penalties 

Ringette only has two on ice officials and most of the time they need to watch the ring , to see who has control,to watch the markings on the ice - those lines at the top of the circle and the crease lines are more important in the rules than in hockey,  - so their vision is almost always down - contact above the waist is rarely called unless truly aggressive,  and then often miss called based on the outcome that they see when they transfer their line of sight

If ever a sport needed a 3rd ref., ringette is it - it's essentially playing hockey with two linesmen and no ref 

Also from a young age the coaches are taught to teach the boys how to take a hit and how to skate safe - shoulders up, eyes up, protect the head

And never skate straight on into the boards to retrieve the puck, skate in at an angle- sadly I realized this too late to really help my daughter and those teams - but if you watch a ringette game you'll cringe how often a girl will skate full bore straight at the ring along the boards- 

Ever notice the lack of the Stop sign on the upper back of ringette jerseys ? 

So long way of me saying it's because of the lack of coaching safety from the youngest ages and the lack of the 3rd ref  based on the misbelief  it is a non contact sport 

When I first met my wife years ago, she was still playing ringette and that was my 1st real exposure to the game.  I was surprised at how much contact there was for a sport that didn't allow hitting. It definitely changed my perception of the game and I'm not at all shocked that there could be a fairly high concussion rate.

2 minutes ago, bigg jay said:

When I first met my wife years ago, she was still playing ringette and that was my 1st real exposure to the game.  I was surprised at how much contact there was for a sport that didn't allow hitting. It definitely changed my perception of the game and I'm not at all shocked that there could be a fairly high concussion rate.

Let's face it, put 12 women together in a room and a donnybrook is bound to break out.

22 minutes ago, Blueandgold said:

Please put some respect on the names of Charles Roberts and Doug Brown.

I'm pretty sure Mr. Brown was injured most of that year.  Teams had their way with our interior DL as a result - the results were not to be remembered. 

48 minutes ago, Noeller said:

I believe 05 was the year we basically had no DC, so the players were going out there and trying to make it up as they best they could...

And Dougie was out - guys like Oost were getting owned in the middle. 

Sorta like when Jake Thomas plays every down - only worse. 

21 hours ago, Noeller said:

surprised he'd even have to try out.......he'll automatically be their MOP this year if he signs...

It could be a case where they are going to be paying him a lot of money for a punter and want to make sure he’s still in good shape and can be as much of an impact punter as possible.  It’s a good move for a team that is going to have to rely on good special teams, defense and ball control to compete in the west. 

Going from Bartel to Ryan would be a pretty significant upgrade.   I'm thinking he would average approx 8 yards per punt more per kick and also be more accurate and better hangtime ect.   If he can improve their net punting by 7 yards per punt that would add 46 net yards each game on average.  Let's face it.. This is a team that's gonna be punting a lot here :)

56 minutes ago, Colin Unger said:

Going from Bartel to Ryan would be a pretty significant upgrade.   I'm thinking he would average approx 8 yards per punt more per kick and also be more accurate and better hangtime ect.   If he can improve their net punting by 7 yards per punt that would add 46 net yards each game on average.  Let's face it.. This is a team that's gonna be punting a lot here :)

I think he's trying out at QB though...

According to Ryan there are several interested CFL teams. I would love to see Winnipeg make a play for him even though we don't really need him.  There's some nostalgia from when he used to play here and the idea of signing him away from the Riders is appealing. 

https://leaderpost.com/sports/football/cfl/saskatchewan-roughriders/jon-ryan-works-out-for-saskatchewan-roughriders?utm_term=Autofeed&utm_medium=Social&utm_source=Facebook&fbclid=IwAR33voaPfODqMJtUS2pbRr7Ic4ywOkcmmDPqzMeLqFCy4-TDtmJy41eO20w#Echobox=1554666392