Around the League: 2019 Off Season

SpeedFlex27
Message added by Rich

For minor off-season non-Bomber CFL news.  Any significant stories or news that is likely to generate significant discussion may have its own thread created. General Bomber news can be found here.

16 minutes ago, bigg jay said:

Looks like Ottawa is going to give Montreal some competition for the East basement this year.  Their offense was going to be shaky to begin with, given the players they lost and now they lose their OC late in the off-season.

Big fish, small pond?

1 hour ago, Bigblue204 said:

maybe sour grapes for not getting a shot at an interview for the SSK HC?

Speaking of sour grapes haven't heard much from LaPo this past off-season, I wonder if he is, or ever was that upset about being denied the opportunity to apply for the Rider job.  Caught a glimpse of Richie Hall at the CFL Combine but did not notice LaPo in attendance, which is a bit odd considering how involved he was running the event when the Combine was in Wpg..  I would think his attendance would be mandatory.

Edited by Throw Long Bannatyne

2 hours ago, Bigblue204 said:

maybe sour grapes for not getting a shot at an interview for the SSK HC?

I think so. Coaching in this country at the high levels is such a small community. From the reaction of Rick Campbell who says he was duped by Elizondo, he may have hurt his future chances at employment in the CFL. Campbell has friends. I'd say he's probably headed back to U Sports.

Edited by SpeedFlex27

4 hours ago, bigg jay said:

Looks like Ottawa is going to give Montreal some competition for the East basement this year.  Their offense was going to be shaky to begin with, given the players they lost and now they lose their OC late in the off-season.

I guess now Jennings can play duck & check without rattling off 15 second snap counts first. 

26 minutes ago, TBURGESS said:

Ottawa wouldn't let Elizondo interview for the Riders HC job. He took the first opportunity to get out of town. Good thing that Trestman wanted him instead of PLAP or else we'd be the team looking for a new OC today.

I'm not convinced that Lapo wants to be an offensive co-ordinator outside of Winnipeg all that much.

12 minutes ago, blueingreenland said:

I have heard he does want to be a head coach again though. 

I have heard the same but I've also heard Tina has a large say in things and she likes being here at home. 

Ive heard Lapo does want to be head coach but only if the situation is a good one and by that i mean he gets to pick his assitants, that is also a reason i feel he wouldn't have taken the SASK job as he'd be stuck with their assitant coaches

1 hour ago, blueingreenland said:

I have heard he does want to be a head coach again though. 

Yeah. That I believe. I think he would leave to be a head coach in a good situation.  I don’t think he would take just anything though.  He probably has one more crack at being a head coach and doesn’t want to blow it on another bad situation like the first time he was a head coach. 

I also dont see him being a good fit fit south of the border.  He’s a good cfl offensive mind because he really understands the Canadian game and really takes advantage of the waggle and the size of the field ect. 

3 hours ago, Noeller said:

I couldn't be happier for that fan base....I hope they absolutely tank this year and are the raging tire fire we all expect them to be.

Yeah, they were practically given a championship because of the rules of the Expansion Draft. Then Desjardins mocked the Bombers. We can mock them because we are Bomber fans but if another fanbase or douchey GM does then that's fighting words. I feel exactly the way you do.

15 hours ago, TBURGESS said:

Ottawa wouldn't let Elizondo interview for the Riders HC job. He took the first opportunity to get out of town. Good thing that Trestman wanted him instead of PLAP or else we'd be the team looking for a new OC today.

That is assuming Lapo wanted to bail all that badly. Somehow I don't think running back to the states is priority number 1 for him. Truthfully I think he'd be happy staying in Winnipeg forever provided he has the role he wants. After all, wifey wears the pants in that family. 

6 minutes ago, 17to85 said:

That is assuming Lapo wanted to bail all that badly. Somehow I don't think running back to the states is priority number 1 for him. Truthfully I think he'd be happy staying in Winnipeg forever provided he has the role he wants. After all, wifey wears the pants in that family. 

It's not assuming anything of the sort. PLAP likely didn't even get a chance to interview or get an offer so we'll never know if he'd have taken the job.

Truthfully tho, I'd say he'd seriously look at a taking a job that paid more money in US$ and gave him a 2 year contract. More US college sports eyes on his work might be a stepping stone to even more money and free education for his kids. Worse case scenario is that he could come back to the CFL and interview for HC jobs.

4 minutes ago, TBURGESS said:

It's not assuming anything of the sort. PLAP likely didn't even get a chance to interview or get an offer so we'll never know if he'd have taken the job.

Truthfully tho, I'd say he'd seriously look at a taking a job that paid more money in US$ and gave him a 2 year contract. More US college sports eyes on his work might be a stepping stone to even more money and free education for his kids. Worse case scenario is that he could come back to the CFL and interview for HC jobs.

No, if he went to XFL he wouldn't be available for a CFL HCing gig until the 2022 season because it's a spring league. Further to that, it's not about the money with Lapo...he and his family genuinely love Winnipeg. I know that your BC sensibilities struggle with that, but it's a straight up fact.

5 hours ago, gcn11 said:

...he and his family genuinely love Winnipeg. I know that your BC sensibilities struggle with that, but it's a straight up fact.

Getting off topic, but I agree. B.C. people don't understand what we like about the Prairies. Other than the weather being better there (Vancouver area) for 6 months a year, they don't have anything on us. The traffic is better here, the cost of housing is way better...and the people (IMO) are generally more neighborly. Heh, just my 2 cents.