Around the League: 2019 Off Season

SpeedFlex27
Message added by Rich

For minor off-season non-Bomber CFL news.  Any significant stories or news that is likely to generate significant discussion may have its own thread created. General Bomber news can be found here.

3 hours ago, Pete Catan's Ghost said:

I would shudder when I saw his smarmy face on Sport Centre. He presented as giggly and excessive. I'm glad he's moved to a market where I don't have to watch him. He will fit like a glove.

As someone who only turns on TSN for CFL and Jets game, I didn't see him much. Fact is, like Mike Hogan, he loves the CFL and I appreciated the stats and info he brought to the game. Now he's dead me. 

DT = Dead To'me. 

5 minutes ago, SpeedFlex27 said:

If Taylor is that good then why are stuck with the gawd awful Rod Black? Why can't TSN get rid of him & bring in new blood? Get that fricking fracking dinosaur off sucking the life out of me on my 50 inch tv screen. 

This is a good idea.... send Rod Black over to be the Riders PBP and DT can call games on TSN. Win win.

Must have been a considerable uptick in salary to make that move. With more money comes expectations.  

Fan expectations are as follows, take careful notes, Derek.

1. Be positive .don't tell it like it is. That's being a nit picking negatron. Out of touch with an agenda. Defend and praise the people will defend and praise.

2. But don't be positive for  QBs, coaches , GMs and other team functionaries we have turned against. This will change often. This makes you an apologist and somebodys lackey.

3. Be negative towards things we are negative about. That's the way it is so tell it like it is.

4. If there is any confusion consult with us,  daily if possible, on what to say and think. 

Got all that, Derek?

Edited by Zontar

Anybody else thinking that there are going to be issues with this whole Atlantic Schooners idea? Leblanc doesn't have a great track record (see Ice Edge), they need a lot of government money and the local governments seem fairly reluctant to give any, not a lot of corporations and hey, what exactly is the evidence that they'll support a team?

I didn't think there was any more ways to do a stadium on the cheap but they sure found it.  We'll fund it for 12,000 seats & you guys do the rest. Just add another 14,000 seats. Four thousand of those temporary.  Ambrosie will give them a Grey Cup as well. A 26,000 seat Grey Cup. The smallest since the mid 1950's. 

3 hours ago, SpeedFlex27 said:

I didn't think there was any more ways to do a stadium on the cheap but they sure found it.  We'll fund it for 12,000 seats & you guys do the rest. Just add another 14,000 seats. Four thousand of those temporary.  Ambrosie will give them a Grey Cup as well. A 26,000 seat Grey Cup. The smallest since the mid 1950's. 

This ain't gonna work for revenue generation on an ongoing basis.

42 minutes ago, Tracker said:

This ain't gonna work for revenue generation on an ongoing basis.

If they can't get government support or afford to build a proper stadium  then why bother? I think what's happened now is Randy Ambrosie is in this so deep & has taken the CFL along with him that to back off now would be a major black eye to both him & the CFL. So, they'll just forge ahead & damn the torpedos. They'll handle a financial crisis when it occurs so no sense worrying about it now.

I just can't see this team competing for free agents or for them to ever sell out consistently. We'll be seeing crowds of 16,000 at their home games & the team will be another burden to the other 8 teams. I didn't include Toronto as they're already a burden to everyone else. Ambrosie is talking about a LDW Coast Bowl with the Lions. They must be thrilled knowing they'll be forced to fly 2/3 of the way to London over 5 time zones to play that game against an opponent who'll never be a serious rival.

11 hours ago, Zontar said:

Must have been a considerable uptick in salary to make that move. 

My understanding is that it's a substantial drop, but possible increase in job security. Bell, Corus and Stingray are in constant cost-cutting mode. Harvard is a lot more stable... 

19 hours ago, rebusrankin said:

Anybody else thinking that there are going to be issues with this whole Atlantic Schooners idea? Leblanc doesn't have a great track record (see Ice Edge), they need a lot of government money and the local governments seem fairly reluctant to give any, not a lot of corporations and hey, what exactly is the evidence that they'll support a team?

I'm not holding my breath, personally