Around the League: 2019 Off Season

SpeedFlex27
Message added by Rich

For minor off-season non-Bomber CFL news.  Any significant stories or news that is likely to generate significant discussion may have its own thread created. General Bomber news can be found here.

So I can't seem to find any actual proof of it yet, but the buzz around the media world is that Derek Taylor from TSN is moving to Regina to take over the Riders PBP gig vacated by Rowdy Rod at CKRM......

it's funny to me, because isn't DT from Winnipeg and a pretty big Bombers fan? Riders fans will riot if their PBP guy isn't a "AREN'T THE RIDERS THE GREATEST ORGANIZATION EVER??!!!!!" guy........ Apparently Michael Ball, who co-hosts the morning show on The Wolf (sister station to CKRM) was in the running and wanted it really badly, but they have such consistently high ratings on The Wolf, that management didn't want to take him off that. 

6 minutes ago, Noeller said:

it's funny to me, because isn't DT from Winnipeg and a pretty big Bombers fan? Riders fans will riot if their PBP guy isn't a "AREN'T THE RIDERS THE GREATEST ORGANIZATION EVER??!!!!!" guy........ Apparently Michael Ball, who co-hosts the morning show on The Wolf (sister station to CKRM) was in the running and wanted it really badly, but they have such consistently high ratings on The Wolf, that management didn't want to take him off that. 

I was going to say... I thought he was a Bomber fan. 

The guy is going to hate his life in that backwater city, he'll probably be forced to go with the RIDERS 4LIFE shtick too..

7 minutes ago, Noeller said:

He is. Former Bisons play-by-play guy too!

Knuckles is from Regina, right? But he's feeling better now. 

Not sure DT will be the same. 

Edited by JCon

17 minutes ago, Noeller said:

Nah he’s a wannabe Winnipegger.  From somewhere in Ontario, came here to work for A-Channel or maybe a radio station before that.  I think his wife is in Saskatoon, she used to be on radio here too.

30 minutes ago, Dr Zaius said:

Doesn't that seem like a step back in a career from being on national TV on TSN?

that was my first thought, and it's a huge step back. I can't imagine the money is even comparable. My only thought is that people are terrified of working for Bell/Corus/Stingray right now because there is ZERO job security. With Harvard Regina, you pretty much have a job for life with "decent" pay....

1 hour ago, JuranBoldenRules said:

Nah he’s a wannabe Winnipegger.  From somewhere in Ontario, came here to work for A-Channel or maybe a radio station before that.  I think his wife is in Saskatoon, she used to be on radio here too.

In my travels across this fine country and abroad defending Winnipeg wherever I go, I don't hear this term much.