Around the League: 2019 Off Season

SpeedFlex27
Message added by Rich

For minor off-season non-Bomber CFL news.  Any significant stories or news that is likely to generate significant discussion may have its own thread created. General Bomber news can be found here.

2 hours ago, Tracker said:

Apparently there is an interesting sidelight to this Raider story. The NFL has a procedure which states that if an exhibition game or game that is played outside of NFL-sanctioned stadia, they require that the NFL will run EVRYTHING- essentially, the NFL sends a whole squad of their people, you give them the keys to stadium. Then you retreat to a safe distance, wait for them to run the whole show and facility, then give you the keys back. Presumably, the keys would be accompanied by a fat cheque, or a cheque at least.

Not sure how well this would sit with the folks here.

This would be the same sort of arrangement as the NHL had for Heritage Classic, no?  How about FIFA with the Women's World Cup.  

I'd love to see the game in question come here... mostly just as a fan of Titletown, USA.  And it's the 3rd game, not 1st.  Aaron Rodgers throwing darts for 15-30 mins of gametime - - sign me the F up!  

You could pay $250 CDN for a round trip chartered coach from Kitchener to Buffalo, including all you can eat at the game, all you can drink (yes drink), full access to special tailgates and decent seats. This was for the Pats vs Bills MNF game. You could get other games a bit cheaper, but same deal. The bus usually goes full every time (plus multiple buses going) and people will pay it because it's convenient (and the whole experience)

Rogers screwed up big time trying to charge big ticket prices for crappy value. 

23 hours ago, Throw Long Bannatyne said:

Interesting that the NFL is offering this match-up to only the strongest CFL markets, I don't think that's by coincidence.   At one time the NFL acted as a benevolent big brother to the CFL allowing it  to prosper and helping it out however it could, now they couldn't give a **** whether it survives or fails, quite happy to shove a vacuum hose up their asses to collect a few more loose coins.  

the NFL still needs the CFL.. they don't want to be considered a monopoly and i'm sure they know that the AAF/XFL won't survive long enough to be relevant. 

Edited by Blueandgold

2 hours ago, Blueandgold said:

the NFL still needs the CFL.. they don't want to be considered a monopoly and I'm sure they know that the AAF/XFL won't survive long enough to be relevant. 

I don't see the NFL needing anyone (at least not in their eyes). Their arrogance and success have reinforced that view.

1 minute ago, SpeedFlex27 said:

The bad thing is that whenever a team folds we slide into the East. Then when a new team is established we slide back into the West.

But that was our choice. When the Montreal Concords, Halifax Schooners, and Hamburg Schadenfruedes enter the league, we'll be forced back to the West, where we'll compete with the Mexico City Aztecas. 

32 minutes ago, JCon said:

But that was our choice. When the Montreal Concords, Halifax Schooners, and Hamburg Schadenfruedes enter the league, we'll be forced back to the West, where we'll compete with the Mexico City Aztecas. 

Have you ever been to Azteca in the States? Mostly in Washington, Oregon & California. Great Mexican food!

2 minutes ago, SpeedFlex27 said:

Have you ever been to Azteca in the States? Mostly in Washington, Oregon & California. Great Mexican food!

Nope, was referencing the famous stadium.

But, now I feel the need to eat proper Mexican food.  **checks lunch** Chicken and quinoa salad? Damn. 

Do they serve proper Mexican cuisine?