Around the League: 2019 Off Season

SpeedFlex27
Message added by Rich

For minor off-season non-Bomber CFL news.  Any significant stories or news that is likely to generate significant discussion may have its own thread created. General Bomber news can be found here.

1 hour ago, Booch said:

money from stadium fees/rental...parking..concessions...beer sales ...tickets etc would go into the teams pocket..no?....thats why

I would find it hard to accept, as a taxpayer, the Bombers turning down an opportunity to generate additional venue revenue, unless they could prove irreparable harm to their brand or income. 

And, although I kidded about the Argos, it was the good people at Skydome that brought the Bills in. I can't remember the Argos jumping up and down with excitement over the move. 

Edited by JCon

1 hour ago, Noeller said:

Fwiw, Riders apparently were not pleased with having an NFL team play in their stadium, and the Esks have said they are absolutely not bidding for it........very interesting.

Sounds like the NFL game would have been day before a Rider home game, so pretty much impossible to pull that off.

Bombers don't have a home game until Banjo Bowl following the proposed date (August 23),

41 minutes ago, Noeller said:

Bombers are giving a non-answer at this point. Basically said "we're always looking at events we can host, and revenue we can bring in. We will have no further comment at this time."

41 minutes ago, Noeller said:

Bombers are giving a non-answer at this point. Basically said "we're always looking at events we can host, and revenue we can bring in. We will have no further comment at this time."

Translation: " We're looking at how much revenue this will bring in while fearing the impact. It's a competition between greed and fear- just like the stock market."

1 hour ago, Fred C Dobbs said:

I believe that the suggested day for this game is Friday, Aug 23. Problem is that the Bombers will be playing at Edm that day. Even if they bring an NFL pre-season game here that's not the game I'll be watching.

But would you go the NFL game, then watch the Bomber game on the jumbotron after? 

1 hour ago, TBURGESS said:

How many folks in Winnipeg would be willing to pay to watch an NFL preseason game? Would the Bombers be able to even half fill the stadium? I kinda doubt it.

Raiders aren't a draw here. Vikes vs pack might sell out tho

1 hour ago, TBURGESS said:

How many folks in Winnipeg would be willing to pay to watch an NFL preseason game? Would the Bombers be able to even half fill the stadium? I kinda doubt it.

My interest in the game is beyond zero... why the hell would I want to watch Nathan Peterman play for a half? 

27 minutes ago, Goalie said:

Raiders aren't a draw here. Vikes vs pack might sell out tho

To watch depth/practice roster players play in a meaningless game...? I highly doubt it.

NFL pre-season games in Canada... What a terrible idea*.

*unless the host team and league are handsomely compensated

Edited by blue_gold_84

I keep thinking that a city the size of Toronto couldn't get much of a crowd for the Bills, who are a big deal for southern Ontario peeps........how could the Bombers possibly make money off this? And the only way I'd want to do it is if the Bombers were going to make a killing...

25 minutes ago, Noeller said:

I keep thinking that a city the size of Toronto couldn't get much of a crowd for the Bills, who are a big deal for southern Ontario peeps........how could the Bombers possibly make money off this? And the only way I'd want to do it is if the Bombers were going to make a killing...

Winnipeg is actually more of a sportstown than Toronto is. Plz never use Toronto as a comparison to us EVER. 

If they're talking about week 3 of the preseason, isn't that when teams usually play their starters the most?

I think some of you are underestimating the amount of NFL fans in Manitoba. Anecdotally, I probably know more people who follow the NFL than really care about the CFL much at all.  When the Bombers are bad they make fun of the whole league, and when the Bombers are good, they might get into it a tiny bit and go to a couple games.  But every week they're devoting their Sunday to the NFL.  I like the NFL too, but I think they're ridiculous. But there are a lot of them.

How many people would come watch from Grand Forks if the Vikings or Packers were involved? That is, if people in Grand Forks would even know how to find Winnipeg.