Around the League: 2019 Off Season

SpeedFlex27
Message added by Rich

For minor off-season non-Bomber CFL news.  Any significant stories or news that is likely to generate significant discussion may have its own thread created. General Bomber news can be found here.

I honestly don't see anything wrong or insulting about what he is saying. He's just admitting to not being able to grasp fairly simple rule changes. And this is likely because he didn't put in the work...sorry, it's absolutely because he didn't put in the work. Now he's going back to a game he knows extremely well. And I honestly think Johnny is going to get back to "star" status in the AAFL, mostly due to the QB protection they have there. What are his strengths? Creating time, moving out of the pocket and getting away from pressure. He won't have nearly as much pressure to escape, not even on par with what he faced in college. He'll do very well in that league, get an invite to the NFL again and flop once he has to play real football.

3 minutes ago, Bigblue204 said:

I honestly don't see anything wrong or insulting about what he is saying. He's just admitting to not being able to grasp fairly simple rule changes. And this is likely because he didn't put in the work...sorry, it's absolutely because he didn't put in the work. Now he's going back to a game he knows extremely well. And I honestly think Johnny is going to get back to "star" status in the AAFL, mostly due to the QB protection they have there. What are his strengths? Creating time, moving out of the pocket and getting away from pressure. He won't have nearly as much pressure to escape, not even on par with what he faced in college. He'll do very well in that league, get an invite to the NFL again and flop once he has to play real football.

I can't see anyone in the NFL taking a shot at Johnny Rotten. He doesn't work hard enough and never will. 

15 minutes ago, JCon said:

I can't see anyone in the NFL taking a shot at Johnny Rotten. He doesn't work hard enough and never will. 

There is always someone who will bring him into training camp to create some buzz.  I doubt anyone will give him a real shot though.  "Work" doesn't describe what a person needs to put in to be successful for any length of time as a professional QB.  It has to be all-consuming.

1 hour ago, Throw Long Bannatyne said:

I see Johnny is still riding hard on the laurels of his college days, that was 6 years ago Johnny, if you want to be a professional you have to put in the work.

Aaand- stay out of court and avoid your favourite num-nums. A tall order for many who are ruled by ego and not smarts.

1 hour ago, Blueandgold said:

Big no to this. Don’t they remember how flags were getting thrown for the slightest touch of the QB in slow motion?! 

One has nothing to do with the other. As it was, Coaches were punished for an error that wasn’t theirs. This is a simple fix which really wont lead to anything if it’s handled properly.

16 hours ago, Blueandgold said:

Big no to this. Don’t they remember how flags were getting thrown for the slightest touch of the QB in slow motion?! 

I am not at all in favour of a second challenge.  As it is now, coaches have to consider carefully whether and when to use their one challenge.  It has added to the game.  Blown protections /coverages / etc are part of the game.  So are bad calls by the officials.  I hear that coaches lose their jobs because of bad calls - well, a lot more coaches lose their jobs because they screwed up a game plan or their QB had a bad game (i.e. their QB was not perfect).

Fans of every single team in every single sport are convinced that their team was robbed by the officials in every game ever played.  Killing the momentum of the game and making a marathon of a sprint is not going to fix something they will believe anyway.

5 minutes ago, Mr Dee said:

Yes, as a matter of fact, Alan Parsons said the same thing:

“I am the eye in the sky

Looking at you

I can read your mind

I am the maker of rules

Dealing with fools

I can cheat you blind”

- The Alan Parsons Project.

Makes sense... I believe that was some sort of hovercraft...

It should take at least 2 years to change any rule, probably even more.  Changing the rules every off-season and even mid-season is a significant part of the problem.

Maybe if the rules were the same from one year to the next the application of them by the refs and command centre would improve.

Edited by JuranBoldenRules

The rules are there. Tweaking them to achieve the best results is not a bad thing. It’s the application that needs work. Refs and especially the command centre, have to have more focused training. Reffing is never easy, in any sport, but the command centre should rarely make mistakes. Whichever way they decide the rules should be set up is fine because the teams are involved in this set up. 

Refs will make mistakes, but the fail safe should be the command centre. 

Just get the call right. It’s really all the fans want.