Around the League: 2019 Off Season

SpeedFlex27
Message added by Rich

For minor off-season non-Bomber CFL news.  Any significant stories or news that is likely to generate significant discussion may have its own thread created. General Bomber news can be found here.

18 hours ago, Tracker said:

According to Matthew Scianetti of TSN, who covered the last CFL-CBA negotiations, the negotiations today appear to have gone very professionally and well.

Impossible!  Randy Ambrosie is terrible!   /sarcasm

Edited by Mark F

27 minutes ago, blue_gold_84 said:

What sort of sorcery is this?  I have it on good authority that Ambroise can only deal with one thing at a time.  This suggests that he's dealing with expansion, Europe and contract negotiations all at the same time.  FAKE NEWS! 

“Ambrosie is committed to doubling league revenues and there is no single, simple, made-in-Canada method of doing it. So he has reached beyond the borders and it has led to some confusion, concern, and criticism. But he said he has heard mostly encouragement for 2.0 on Randy’s Road Trip, his tour through all nine CFL cities, which touched down in Edmonton on Thursday.”

“It’s about expanding the brand, thinking big and yes, creating new revenue streams. It’s about helping the Toronto Argonauts and Montreal Alouettes boost attendance by offering the diverse populations of those cities a reason to watch the CFL”

https://torontosun.com/sports/football/cfl/commissioner-randy-ambrosie-sold-on-the-low-cost-of-cfl-2-0#click=https://t.co/0NgyqmO4rl

1 hour ago, Mr Dee said:

“Ambrosie is committed to doubling league revenues and there is no single, simple, made-in-Canada method of doing it. So he has reached beyond the borders and it has led to some confusion, concern, and criticism. But he said he has heard mostly encouragement for 2.0 on Randy’s Road Trip, his tour through all nine CFL cities, which touched down in Edmonton on Thursday.”

“It’s about expanding the brand, thinking big and yes, creating new revenue streams. It’s about helping the Toronto Argonauts and Montreal Alouettes boost attendance by offering the diverse populations of those cities a reason to watch the CFL”

https://torontosun.com/sports/football/cfl/commissioner-randy-ambrosie-sold-on-the-low-cost-of-cfl-2-0#click=https://t.co/0NgyqmO4rl

Trying to corner the covered German demographic in the Big Smoke...

What these wags in the media don't know or conveniently forget with their indignation of tweets is that football participation is down. There aren't the same number of kids playing the sport as there was 10 years ago. That will affect junior as well as U Sport programs as time goes by. I would expect some smaller & less wealthy teams will eventually fold or drop football completely. If Halifax does come onboard with a tenth team it will get very difficult to find seven new starters. I don't like the number reduced either but it's a fact of life.

Just this past season, 5 high schools in Calgary dropped their junior varsity programs (grade 10) because they couldn't field enough players to safely play. With an average of 40 players per team, that's 200 kids in Calgary alone that aren't playing high school football. In bantam & pee we football, there was one team eliminated in each division.  On top of that, when my son played community football & I coached 15 years ago, each of the 8 pee wee & 12 bantam teams averaged about 50 players each.  Today, that number is down to 30 or 35.  The drop has been significant. That's just Calgary. What's it like in other cities across Canada?

Edited by SpeedFlex27

It's the "slippery slope" that gets me the most. I'm terrified of getting to 0 and I'll have almost no reason to watch anymore. I know I'm in the minority but I watch for Canadians... The rewlnones who come from Canadian HS to CIS to CFL. That's the league, in my eyes... 

1 hour ago, SpeedFlex27 said:

That's just Calgary

The “wags” as you put it don’t conveniently forget to mention if football is down in Canadian cities. Maybe it just isn’t so. Maybe it is Calgary.

In the recent past, football has grown in Quebec and even in Winnipeg, the WHSFL had expanded, even going rural. 

I wish there were more numbers available, but they just don’t supply that info.

The C n di n Football League.

There. How does that look? 

Seems like something’s missing.

1 hour ago, Jpan85 said:

A counter point is we have a lot of guys that are starting Canadians that never have lived in or played Canadian football. They have a Canadian passport only.

1 hour ago, Mr Dee said:

The “wags” as you put it don’t conveniently forget to mention if football is down in Canadian cities. Maybe it just isn’t so. Maybe it is Calgary.

In the recent past, football has grown in Quebec and even in Winnipeg, the WHSFL had expanded, even going rural. 

Well, start telling parents you know to put their kids into football so the numbers can go back up... 

Edited by SpeedFlex27

1 hour ago, Mr Dee said:

Do you really believe it's just Calgary? I highly doubt that. Kids aren't playing all across the country. The news media has brought this to the forefront with their stories of former players who are having issues as they age or committed a crime or have ALS, Dementia or Alzheimers. When former Ottawa Rough Riders defensive back Rod Woodward defrauded investors of millions of dollars, prior head injuries & concussions from football were blamed for his bad behaviour.  There was nothing medical or scientific to back up that claim yet there it was in his story. Concussions caused Woodward to become a crook.  Boom. bang. There ya go. Yet, do we see the same number or kind of stories in hockey? Nope. I'll say it's because there are billions of dollars being spent by Rogers & other media outlets on the game. as well as advertisers. Meanwhile, the CFL is small potatoes & an easier target than the NHL.  Rogers, Bell Media & the NHL don't want stories about head injuries in hockey as its bad for business.

Edited by SpeedFlex27