Around the League: 2019 Off Season

SpeedFlex27
Message added by Rich

For minor off-season non-Bomber CFL news.  Any significant stories or news that is likely to generate significant discussion may have its own thread created. General Bomber news can be found here.

3 hours ago, 17to85 said:

I think he is good enough to be a deep threat on this team, just a matter of him getting a chance IMO. He and Petey are gonna be solid along with Woogie. Love our canadian pass catchers. 

Woogie.

10 hours ago, Jpan85 said:

Simionise I really  hope wins job over Petermann in camp because he has the skill set that that they need. The big down the field receiver. Type of guy who catches only 50 balls but gets 1200+ yards.

Not competing for the same spot...

14 minutes ago, Jpan85 said:

If they get guaranteed contracts the are going to have to give something substantial to the league.

Yeah, like a 50 per cent reduction in pay. Heh, I'm only half kidding. Not sure guaranteed contracts would ever become a thing in the CFL. They could probably tinker with guaranteed contracts for vets and say the cut off point is earlier in the season.  But you would still have to make the team, of course. The CFL teams can't afford to pay dead weight salaries of players who aren't contributing (like NHL or NBA can).

But I do agree with a lot of what the article says, especially in reference to players who speak out getting cut and getting no compensation.

Edited by blueingreenland

Simonese I think could grab that outside spot..regardless of ratio...He has the skill set for it and the body type to succeed there...now after a full season on the roster last year, an off-season to digest things after basically being out of the game for the better part of 2 years he should be able to come into camp at 100 percent and just play his game.

you seen last year he has the skill as he roasted 2 of the top DB's in the league and he earned his chops on the special teams too..and if it came down to a decision between him and Peterman to be on the roster, or grab a starting spot then the wise bet is on Simonese as he has way more upside and potential, not to mention being in a spot to be more impactful..looking forward to TC to see how much he has progressed

18 minutes ago, blueingreenland said:

Yeah, like a 50 per cent reduction in pay. Heh, I'm only half kidding. Not sure guaranteed contracts would ever become a thing in the CFL. They could probably tinker with guaranteed contracts for vets and say the cut off point is earlier in the season.  But you would still have to make the team, of course. The CFL teams can't afford to pay dead weight salaries of players who aren't contributing (like NHL or NBA can).

But I do agree with a lot of what the article says, especially in reference to players who speak out getting cut and getting no compensation.

Restricted free agency vs guaranteed contracts. Put that on the table & see how far it gets.

Edited by SpeedFlex27

1 hour ago, Jpan85 said:

If they get guaranteed contracts the are going to have to give something substantial to the league.

I could see them moving back the guaranteed veteran contract date though. It would be a huge leap to make them all guaranteed the entire year. 

On 2019-03-03 at 2:53 PM, Colin Unger said:

CFL has more bargaining power than most league's.  The main advantage is that the players aren't already millionaires. They rely on the money to make ends meat.   Players don't want to see a lockout any more than owners do. These are players who are under contract. They decided against the sure money of the AAF to stay in this league. They would really miss out now if there was a lost season.

Your post had merit until this spelling error.... then all I could think about were meat ends... gross.

11 minutes ago, Eternal optimist said:

Your post had merit until this spelling error.... then all I could think about were meat ends... gross.

Well, this was this sausage maker who, in tough times, took to filling one end of his product with pure fat. Then things got better and he could afford to make both ends meat.

https://ottawasun.com/sports/football/cfl-2-0-could-get-early-payoff-with-mexican-tv-contract#click=https://t.co/c8uIQzHiAf

“We were 15 minutes back in Canada when we had the first of two Mexican broadcast companies call and ask about buying our TV rights for the 2019 season. We’re actually in negotiations right now on what could be our first real international broadcast partnership, and that came out of Mexico.” - Randy Ambrosie

1 hour ago, Mr Dee said:

https://ottawasun.com/sports/football/cfl-2-0-could-get-early-payoff-with-mexican-tv-contract#click=https://t.co/c8uIQzHiAf

“We were 15 minutes back in Canada when we had the first of two Mexican broadcast companies call and ask about buying our TV rights for the 2019 season. We’re actually in negotiations right now on what could be our first real international broadcast partnership, and that came out of Mexico.” - Randy Ambrosie

See the source image