Around the League: 2019 Off Season

SpeedFlex27
Message added by Rich

For minor off-season non-Bomber CFL news.  Any significant stories or news that is likely to generate significant discussion may have its own thread created. General Bomber news can be found here.

👁‍🗨 It seems to me that the Montreal Alouettes, with their new logo change and signings, the Toronto Argonauts, with their many press releases about signings, and the B.C. Lions with their press releases and season ticket push, are all making a concentrated effort to increase their fan bases. We’ll keep an eye on them and their attendance figures as the year goes on. Can only be good for the CFL in the long run.

5 minutes ago, SpeedFlex27 said:

Grey Cup Committee announced ticket prices for this year's Grey Cup in Calgary. Sky high prices & a huge negative reaction by Stamps fans.  This championship could be a disaster. 

https://calgaryherald.com/sports/football/cfl/its-an-exorbitant-amount-stamps-fans-question-ticket-prices-for-2019-grey-cup

Plain ridiculous prices

I went to the game when it was here a couple years ago. I gotta say, for the amount I paid then, I would have had a better time at home. It didn't help that the game was played by two teams I don't like, but even the half time/pre/post entertainment wasn't good. At the rate these prices are going I won't ever be going to another one, unless the bombers are playing for it in WPG. Otherwise, I can spend half as much and have double the fun with friends and family at home.

CFL needs to start seeing that if they are charging these prices, the game (not the week) day experience needs to be improve dramatically.

I'll be going to the various parties during the week, but I won't go to the game unless the Bombers are in it. If the Bombers are in the game, I'll pay pretty much whatever, but the parties (to me) are much more important. Spirit of Edmonton and TD MB Social are absolute "Can't Miss" events...

The last Grey Cup in Calgary was my absolute favourite non-Bomber live football experience. Not because the game was great or anything but because the annoying as **** rider fans were being obnoxious all damned day and you could hear their collective hearts all shatter at once and the sound of silence after the too many men penalty was the most glorious thing ever. 

But yeah, those prices are a bit stupid to sit in lame ass McMahon Stadium. 

41 minutes ago, 17to85 said:

The last Grey Cup in Calgary was my absolute favourite non-Bomber live football experience. Not because the game was great or anything but because the annoying as **** rider fans were being obnoxious all damned day and you could hear their collective hearts all shatter at once and the sound of silence after the too many men penalty was the most glorious thing ever. 

But yeah, those prices are a bit stupid to sit in lame ass McMahon Stadium. 

My hope is that the Stamps are going to be the shits and not make the game, so there'll be a pile available on the cheap...

On 2019-03-04 at 6:42 PM, SpeedFlex27 said:

I was referring to sports leagues only. Rather than someone in another industry or line of work that isn't pro sports. In that regard, it's very difficult to compare what a welder does to playing pro football. An entry level salary of $70,000 plus is great money for anyone. But if compare it to other sports leagues & it isn't. That is what I was talking about. But I do get your point, Noeller.  Interesting what kind of "agenda" some people think I have when it comes to player salaries.  The only thing I want is for our players to be well paid so these fly by night leagues that come & go can't steal our guys.

LOL... you're the one who started that comparison...

On 2019-03-03 at 11:44 PM, SpeedFlex27 said:

We are a boutique league because we pay our players like they are retail sales clerks in a mall. 

BC - As Mike Reilly looks to reinvigorate the Lions’ fan base, the early results are encouraging with the team reporting its largest season ticket renewal rate since 2012 (Ed Willes, Vancouver Province).

Calgary - Despite the Stamps losing a number of key pieces this off-season, odds-makers agree that Calgary remains the early-2019 Grey Cup favourite (Justin Dunk, 3 Down Nation).

Winnipeg - Bombers GM Kyle Walters says Canadian receivers Daniel Petermann and Rashaun Simonise could make a strong push for more playing time next season (Ed Tait, BlueBombers.com).

– If the Bombers opt to start a third American O-lineman in Manase Foketi, the club is well-equipped to start three Canadian receivers (John Hodge, 3 Down Nation).

Ottawa - Rick Campbell says Dominique Davis is 1-A and Jonathon Jennings is 1-B as the team prepares for an open competition for the starting quarterback job (Tim Baines, Ottawa Sun).

1 hour ago, Mr Dee said:

Ottawa - Rick Campbell says Dominique Davis is 1-A and Jonathon Jennings is 1-B as the team prepares for an open competition for the starting quarterback job (Tim Baines, Ottawa Sun).

LOL. Campbell is living in a fantasy world.  Their quarterbacking is going to be horrendous if Jennings doesn't pick up his game & rise to the occasion to play like a legit CFL starter. I don't think he can.

In 2013, The Riders as well as the City of Regina were accused of making the Grey Cup a local event & thumbing their nose at Grey Cup traditions & out of town fans. Seeing the prices for a ticket, I'm inclined to think the Stampeders are doing the same thing for this year's game. They're banking on STH being the majority of ticket buyers with their discounts while over pricing out of town fans who must play full price to make them stay away. The organizing committee is banking on (praying?) that the Stamps make it to the Grey Cup. If they do, the game will sell out. If they don't, it won't be sold out as Stamps fans dump their tickets. This is just my theory.

2 hours ago, Noeller said:

I'm not sure if Simonise is good enough to be a starter, but I really want to see him given the chance to succeed or fail of his own accord, because on PAPER, he looks more than good enough to start for pretty much anyone...

I think he is good enough to be a deep threat on this team, just a matter of him getting a chance IMO. He and Petey are gonna be solid along with Woogie. Love our canadian pass catchers.